Film Room The Summer Push LJ Long Run

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
?
The CB was blocked out of the play by the WR downfield and never showed on this gif.

If you mean the safety who moved up as essentially a 4th LB, he had the pitch man. You have to remember this is slomo.

Now, I don't know the defender's keys, but #48 may have had a dive responsibility when the QB initially opens to the right. As soon as the QB continues to pivot, he starts charging down to cut him off. Ultimately, it was a bad angle but not by a whole lot.

Every other player in the back 7 was blocked, to some extent.

Sorry. Yes, the SS or OLB has the pitch

I can tell on the first few steps the assignment

#95 dive. Reads quickly that it wasn't a give so he makes his way outside
#43 QB. Has to get outside of this block
#SS Pitch. Good job

#48 & Safety are fill/alley players

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. Yes, the SS or OLB has the pitch

I can tell on the first few steps the assignment

#95 dive. Reads quickly that it wasn't a give so he makes his way outside
#43 QB. Has to get outside of this block
#SS Pitch. Good job

#48 & Safety are fill/alley players

Fwiw, I agree that it seems #43 should've gotten outside faster. However, I've seen so many LBs getting cleaned up in the wash the last 4yrs that I wonder if they're being coached that way.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Should there have been more tail-motion on this play to get the A-back in position to receive the pitch? He's well behind LJ at the start of the play and can't make up that difference. Or was the A-back just a decoy/blocker and not designed to get the pitch?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Should there have been more tail-motion on this play to get the A-back in position to receive the pitch? He's well behind LJ at the start of the play and can't make up that difference. Or was the A-back just a decoy/blocker and not designed to get the pitch?

The play is a belly option, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a called keeper in the huddle. I think LJ could've just read the pitch key quickly and attacked downhill.