Film Room The Summer Push LJ Long Run

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK this looks to me like another belly option. PS tackle and BBack make more contact than we saw in last play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I can't decide if it's a great example of LJ's speed or one of a bunch of out of position scrubs lack of it.
Rewatch the 15 duke game and ND.
The defenders not only weren't out of position and we're fast, they ran full speed without hesitation to the point of attack. Would this play call, jj speed, and jj read of good blocks made a very good gain instead of being ear holed?? 17 is going to be fun

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is against mostly the second team defense. It was early in the game and the 2nd or 3rd play for the gold team.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Aback was way out of position. The CB should have turned quicker to the QB given the bad pitch relationship. Easy to say in front of my computer screen.

The LB scraped down too hard... they only started 4 yards off the LOS. LB this close take themselves out of outside plays.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The Aback was way out of position. The CB should have turned quicker to the QB given the bad pitch relationship. Easy to say in front of my computer screen.

The LB scraped down too hard... they only started 4 yards off the LOS. LB this close take themselves out of outside plays.
In addition to that, the deep safety takes the inside track to avoid the LT cut block, effectively taking himself out of the play. Hard to say if this is bad D, good positioning by the LT, good burst and speed by LJ or all the above.

This play nicely illustrates the fact that we don't need pancake blocks to free ball carriers for big gains. Just be in the right spot at the right time and get in the way just enough...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In addition to that, the deep safety takes the inside track to avoid the LT cut block, effectively taking himself out of the play. Hard to say if this is bad D, good positioning by the LT, good burst and speed by LJ or all the above.

This play nicely illustrates the fact that we don't need pancake blocks to free ball carriers for big gains. Just be in the right spot at the right time and get in the way just enough...

Exactly, imo.

We often hear CPJ complaining about missed assignments not about getting beat. Here we had guys getting to the right spot, right defender and doing enough.

48 def maybe could've taken a better angle, but even he was chipped early.

@Longestday I appreciate you putting these in slow motion. Fwiw, I think the guy (Kagawa?) playing the pitch man had to hold his assignment. We saw TL do this on play2.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't decide if it's a great example of LJ's speed or one of a bunch of out of position scrubs lack of it.

I feel like the is play was successful because 44 got fooled more than anything. VT, Clemson, Miami all have the talent and speed to make up for a mistake like that. Even if he still anticipates a pitch, the rest of the D would be closing faster to limit the gain.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The playside AB makes this play, he neutralizes two defenders w/o hardly touching either. He not only redirects the deep safety, he also reroutes the backside LB's pursuit angle taking him out of the play, too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I feel like the is play was successful because 44 got fooled more than anything. VT, Clemson, Miami all have the talent and speed to make up for a mistake like that. Even if he still anticipates a pitch, the rest of the D would be closing faster to limit the gain.

His assignment was to take away the pitch.

This is the same play (to the opposite side) as Play 2 which was stopped for 4 or 5 yds or so. The outside backer took the pitch man there too, forcing the QB inside.

The difference was that here #48 gets chipped, and in the other Alexander runs largely free, as well as other better blocks here. If Mills had blocked Vic, then that play might have gone big too.

As I said, #48 took a bad angle in retrospect, but I don't see it as misplaying badly. LJ hit the crease hard and fast. Sometimes our offense makes plays.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Horrible defense by the back 7 as @dressedcheeseside stated. Only in that did their assignment is CB, even should got off his assignment as soon the QB shoulders got square up the field. Even with the gaff of the LBs, if the safety outside of the block it's a 5 yd gain

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Horrible defense by the back 7 as @dressedcheeseside stated. Only in that did their assignment is CB, even should got off his assignment as soon the QB shoulders got square up the field. Even with the gaff of the LBs, if the safety outside of the block it's a 5 yd gain

?
The CB was blocked out of the play by the WR downfield and never showed on this gif.

If you mean the safety who moved up as essentially a 4th LB, he had the pitch man. You have to remember this is slomo.

Now, I don't know the defender's keys, but #48 may have had a dive responsibility when the QB initially opens to the right. As soon as the QB continues to pivot, he starts charging down to cut him off. Ultimately, it was a bad angle but not by a whole lot.

Every other player in the back 7 was blocked, to some extent.