The Star System

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
In this vein I honestly believe our first 5 star will not be from Georgia.

Too many Uncles and Neighbors yelling in their ears about how Tech sucks. The well is poisoned from the get go in my mind. If they're a 5 star and not wanting to go to UGA they're gonna go far away like in Demetris's case, Cal with Notre Dame being the 2nd choice.
Interesting...it's such an anomoly, a good marketing person could use this as a strong recruiting incentive to be known for all time as the first ever 5 star recruit in long storied history of ga tech football...some kid from a private school in the Northeast we're college football is irrelevant...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In this vein I honestly believe our first 5 star will not be from Georgia.

Too many Uncles and Neighbors yelling in their ears about how Tech sucks. The well is poisoned from the get go in my mind. If they're a 5 star and not wanting to go to UGA they're gonna go far away like in Demetris's case, Cal with Notre Dame being the 2nd choice.

JMO, but I think if GT had an offense that passed more, Demetris would be playing on the Flats. He REALLY loved GT's construction programs (his major at Cal is Sustainable Environmental Design), and his uncle? (or maybe mentor) went to GT and they told him first hand what a GT degree meant. The only other FBS program with a comparable academic program that he wanted to major in was...Cal who has a higher ranked construction program than GT. I believe he developed a great bond with Lamar Owens during the recruiting process.

Demetris is a smart guy, and he's definitely one of the "40 year plan" type SAs. Cal gave him the best of both worlds, a world class education in a field he wanted to study, and on football field, an offense that would showcase his ability(as a freshman: 50 receptions, 700+ yards, 7 TDs). Can't be disappointed in an SA for that.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
JMO, but I think if GT had an offense that passed more, Demetris would be playing on the Flats. He REALLY loved GT's construction programs (his major at Cal is Sustainable Environmental Design), and his uncle? (or maybe mentor) went to GT and they told him first hand what a GT degree meant. The only other FBS program with a comparable academic program that he wanted to major in was...Cal who has a higher ranked construction program than GT. I believe he developed a great bond with Lamar Owens during the recruiting process.

Demetris is a smart guy, and he's definitely one of the "40 year plan" type SAs. Cal gave him the best of both worlds, a world class education in a field he wanted to study, and on football field, an offense that would showcase his ability(as a freshman: 50 receptions, 700+ yards, 7 TDs). Can't be disappointed in an SA for that.
oh yea sorry that post was supposed to be general not about Demetris specifically.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Stars matter. There is a massive amount of proof, but lets continue to beat this horse. Some 5 stars bust and some walk ons turn out to be All Americans, but look at the overall percentages.

I can't wait to hear what we say when we do snag a 5 star, and I believe we will. "Yes!!!" "Recruiting is really getting there!!!" etc etc. I doubt there will be one poster with a "Yea, stars don't really matter".

Not a possibility. Any 5 star that ever commits to GT will automatically become a 4 Star

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Stud WRs for us get targeted just as much as stud WRs in other schemes. The #2 and #3 WR for us...not so much.

If the major was most important to him. Maybe a good decision for him. If the mix of everything felt better to him there, ditto. But GT football > Cal football. Cal ain’t USC or Stanford.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
Who do you think was a secret five star?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 7 15 233 Harrison Butker Carolina Panthers K
2016 2 32 63 Adam Gotsis Denver Broncos DT
2016 6 3 178 D.J. White Kansas City Chiefs DB
2015 4 32 131 Shaq Mason New England Patriots C
2015 4 33 132 DeAndre Smelter San Francisco 49ers WR
2015 6 28 204 Darren Waller Baltimore Ravens WR
2014 2 18 50 Jeremiah Attaochu San Diego Chargers LB
2014 6 30 206 Jemea Thomas New England Patriots DB
2014 7 8 223 Brandon Watts Minnesota Vikings LB
2012 2 11 43 Stephen Hill New York Jets WR
2011 7 22 225 Anthony Allen Baltimore Ravens RB
2010 1 16 16 Derrick Morgan Tennessee Titans DE
2010 1 22 22 Demaryius Thomas Denver Broncos WR
2010 3 7 71 Morgan Burnett Green Bay Packers DB
2010 6 19 188 Jonathan Dwyer Pittsburgh Steelers RB
2009 3 6 70 Michael Johnson Cincinnati Bengals DE
2009 6 8 181 Andrew Gardner Miami Dolphins T
2009 7 1 210 Vance Walker Atlanta Falcons DT
2009 7 25 234 Darryl Richard New England Patriots DT
2008 3 30 93 Philip Wheeler Indianapolis Colts LB
2008 4 23 122 Tashard Choice Dallas Cowboys RB
2008 6 2 168 Durant Brooks Washington Redskins P
2007 1 2 2 Calvin Johnson Detroit Lions WR
2007 4 25 124 Mansfield Wrotto Seattle Seahawks G
2006 3 32 96 Gerris Wilkinson New York Giants LB
2006 4 35 132 P.J. Daniels Baltimore Ravens RB
2006 5 13 146 Dawan Landry Baltimore Ravens DB
2004 2 7 39 Daryl Smith Jacksonville Jaguars LB
2004 3 28 91 Tony Hargrove St. Louis Rams DE
2004 3 30 93 Keyaron Fox Kansas City Chiefs LB
2004 4 19 115 Nat Dorsey Minnesota Vikings T
2004 7 13 214 Jonathan Smith Buffalo Bills RB
2003 2 0 0 Tony Hollings Houston Texans RB
2002 6 5 177 Nick Rogers Minnesota Vikings LB
2002 7 17 228 Chris Young Denver Broncos DB
2000 2 27 58 Travares Tillman Buffalo Bills DB
2000 3 7 69 Dez White Chicago Bears WR
2000 7 28 234 Joe Hamilton Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
GT has had multiple 5 star recruits. They just weren't rated appropriately by the services.
It depends. If you mean rated as a five star recruit coming out of high school we have not had even one that I can recall. If you mean, one of those go back a year and reevaluate deals that some magazines do well, that is a horse of a different color. Let's see just off the top of my head and personal bias intended these would be a short list of tech recruits that upon review should have been five stars. One caveat: I am old, damn near senile and don't follow recruiting as much as many on this board. Remember the "star era" probably is limited to the past 15 years or so. Other than than flame away.

Calvin Johnson
Dwyer
Mason
Andrew Gardner
K Mike Hall
Phillip Wheeler
Greg Gathers
Eric Henderson
Darryl Smith
Landry (safety from Chan era)
One of those punters from the Chan era can't remember his name but he could kick that football
Butker
G Wilikinson
for us and our offense JT5 was a five star IMHO but not as recruited by Alabama as a DB
likewise Smelter.

A lot of near misses that were legit four stars but were rated as three stars or worse. Guys like Vance Walker, Darryl Richards, Roddy, AA, etc.