The Star System

Buzzzard

Georgia Tech Fan
What's our star average for this year's haul? Just curious.
Not sure about ours but every one of UGA's has 8 stars. The stud they signed from TX will have to be brought up to SEC standards and they'll be back to back national champs for the next two years. Such was todays announcement by the breathless local sportscasters.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Stars matter. There is a massive amount of proof, but lets continue to beat this horse. Some 5 stars bust and some walk ons turn out to be All Americans, but look at the overall percentages.

I can't wait to hear what we say when we do snag a 5 star, and I believe we will. "Yes!!!" "Recruiting is really getting there!!!" etc etc. I doubt there will be one poster with a "Yea, stars don't really matter".
You bet stars matter, all you have to do is look over the teams in the College Playoff since its inception.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I like CPJ think that recruiting ranking is a joke, or should say it is a cottage industry to sell views and subscriptions. What is a 5 star? Let's see Georgia had one, who has now transferred because he got beat out by a Freshman. Don't know if this will sit behind the pay wall, but read this MyAjc article about our guy C'Bo. I think it is now coming out that stars mean nothing. http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...fter-his-season-ended/rM95yFOPJwcRLVPMvc5XuL/
I would like to believe the ratings mean nothing, but perception of the strength of a team in CFB derives from their recruiting class ranking.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You bet stars matter, all you have to do is look over the teams in the College Playoff since its inception.
The problem with this is that the teams that get the best recruits also have the most money, the best facilities, and the best coaches. Attributing their success just to the recruiting part is a little short sighted in my opinion.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
And about half their starters are 3 star or below. Alabama has more 5 stars than both combined. Maybe they should've played in the Super Bowl.
In case you missed it Alabama won the national championship with a 5 star back up run option quarterback from Hawaii no less...a person that would be optimal to the CPJ system

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe the bottom line is that recruiting rankings matter, in aggregate. Individually it is a bit of a crap shoot. Developing them once they are on campus is critical. IMO, if two programs develop their players equally, and incrementally from where they arrived as freshmen, the team with a recruiting ranking in the Top 10 will beat the team below the Top 20 70% of the time. Johnnies and Joes my friends, Johnnies and Joe's. Until we are willing to cough up the duffle bags full of cash to the "prospect showcase" organizations we are fighting a losing battle. The dirtiest three in the game at that Nick, Dabo and the understudy Kirby. Would love to see an expose on this but its almost impossible to follow the money since the transactions are cash. Oh and in case you are wondering, a 5 star tackle goes for around $250K, the showcase gets 30% and the family of the player gets the rest.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So, I like CPJ think that recruiting ranking is a joke, or should say it is a cottage industry to sell views and subscriptions. What is a 5 star? Let's see Georgia had one, who has now transferred because he got beat out by a Freshman. Don't know if this will sit behind the pay wall, but read this MyAjc article about our guy C'Bo. I think it is now coming out that stars mean nothing. http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...fter-his-season-ended/rM95yFOPJwcRLVPMvc5XuL/

I do not think that recruiting rankings are a "joke" but the fact is that our recruiting efforts have not gotten the job done. We are smack dab in the middle of the most fertile recruiting area of the country and here we are year after year with rankings in the middle tier while our rivals are getting difference makers on both sides of the ball. It is not a coincidence that we have losing records against Miami, Clemson, and UGA who all recruit far better than we do. You can get away with mediocre recruiting for a while if the coaching is exceptional but sooner or later you pay the piper. Right now we are paying the piper.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Anyone who thinks that we do not look at four and five star players and offer them scholarships needs to get in touch with reality. Obviously there are some that we do not extend offers to due to academic reasons. Others after we look at them recognize that there's no way in hel1 they are coming to Georgia Tech we do not waste our resources chasing them.
Has been stated before and will be again we do offer four and five star players. Unfortunately maybe we do not have the "finances" to all but ensure that they will come to Georgia Tech. Nor do we want to get in to that from an ethic standpoint.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
So who knew Dabo would be a great recruiter and one of the best coaches. He brought in the athletes and they had stars

This is true but they were bringing in pretty good talent long before he got there. Dabo has done a great job and turned Clemson into a powerhouse. Years ago all the experts thought that FSU and Miami would instantly take over the ACC. They still might do that but Clemson is a force to be reckoned with.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone who thinks that we do not look at four and five star players and offer them scholarships needs to get in touch with reality. Obviously there are some that we do not extend offers to due to academic reasons. Others after we look at them recognize that there's no way in hel1 they are coming to Georgia Tech we do not waste our resources chasing them.
Has been stated before and will be again we do offer four and five star players. Unfortunately maybe we do not have the "finances" to all but ensure that they will come to Georgia Tech. Nor do we want to get in to that from an ethic standpoint.
To never ever have been successful in recruiting one five star in the history of the program is perplexing...when your in state rival has 7 in one year. It's such an issue that the rules of probability suggest our time will come soon by the shear luck of the draw...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I thought Demetris Robertson was our best shot
In this vein I honestly believe our first 5 star will not be from Georgia.

Too many Uncles and Neighbors yelling in their ears about how Tech sucks. The well is poisoned from the get go in my mind. If they're a 5 star and not wanting to go to UGA they're gonna go far away like in Demetris's case, Cal with Notre Dame being the 2nd choice.