The Search

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I would almost start thinking outside the box at this point. Hire a top HS coach in the state of GA and take in a couple of guys who can recruit this area with fervor. Could it get any worse?! Maybe I should not even ask this question. I'm so afraid we are going to end up with another CBG at this point.

The whole search seems disorganized. Didn't MBob have feelers out months ago? He knew he was going to most likely be faced with firing CBG...this whole thing is making me lose complete confidence of GTAA and I have been a loyal supporter for years. Sounds like we have no leadership at GT amongst the "high level" managers.
In fact, you only know what you have read from others who know no more than you do.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
In fact, you only know what you have read from others who know no more than you do.
I'll give you that, but having financially and fan supported GT athletics for a long time, I just don't get the right feel for how things have been handled for a few years. In fact, when we gave CBG the extension, I called MBob and asked him why they made that extension and he said they believe they would be in the tourney next year and I asked how with the roster we had and it was indicated thru transfers...we see how that worked.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Let me say one thing. I read on multiple sites that Drew had verbally accepted the job as late as 10:30 last evening and then Vandy came back to him today as they got cold feet with the Candidate(s) they had originally settled on, thinking he was a "safer" option. At that point he went back to MBob saying he wanted to see what Vandy had to say and was told that we had and understanding in place with him and that if he left, basically, that told him (MBob) that Drew wasn't planning on honoring it and he was taking the Vandy job and that would be how he would have to read it. Drew said he understood MBob's position and went the Nashville route.

Basically it was a "Constructive" Breach of Contract by Drew as we had an Offer on the Table that he accepted, and there was Bargain for Exchange, and then GA Tech has now suffered Damages due to his Breach in that another viable Candidate (Capel) withdrew his name based on the idea Drew had accepted.

The "bad guy" in this case was Drew because he either innocently broke his word with MBob or intentionally misled him as leverage against Vandy for more money.

On the other hand, MBob is supposed to be a College Basketball "expert" and if he blows this then I think he needs to pack up and leave as it's clear to me he has no idea how to handle the Football side of the business.

IF this is how it played out then Drew looks bad too. I can't believe he'd start assembling a staff and then leave them high and dry by going to Vanderbilt instead. That is a **** thing to do and there is no way around it. However, if Drew was Bobinski's first choice and Drew made some sort of verbal agreement then SIGN A DAMN CONTRACT. There is no rule stating you can't sign a contract during the Final Four or you have to keep quiet about it. Bobinski's job is to do the best thing for Georgia Tech, not appease some NCAA morons that think the GT coaching hire will have any impact on the weekend's events. It certainly seems like this was poorly done all around and that is greatly disappointing.

I'll give you that, but having financially and fan supported GT athletics for a long time, I just don't get the right feel for how things have been handled for a few years. In fact, when we gave CBG the extension, I called MBob and asked him why they made that extension and he said they believe they would be in the tourney next year and I asked how with the roster we had and it was indicated thru transfers...we see how that worked.
Not that it matters, but it wouldn't surprise me if I have been an active fan and financial supporter (not big bucks though) probably longer than you. After the fiascos of Braindead and DRad, I am at least content.....FOR THE MOMENT.

mzGT2016

Georgia Tech Fan
Do we not even try to take swings with coaches like Ben Jacobson (UNI) or Chris Holtmann (Butler). Sure Butler is in the Big East now, and because they're private they don't have to disclose contract information so we don't know what his salary looks like, but you still have to believe that Tech would still be an upward move.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What I am about to say may be nothing, but, many verbal contracts are binding. If Tech took action based on an agreement and offered consideration in return for the agreement, then Drew's verbal acceptance might constitute a binding contract. I am not sure Tech would want to hold him to it at this point, so it might be a moot point. But, I am curious as to why neither Vandy nor Drew nor any other media source as said outright, "the deal is done." It is always, "it was reported by a source."

This all may change today, but I wonder if MBob is going back through the negotiations with Drew and asking some pointed questions. Also, perhaps, with Vanderbilt, related to monetary damages. Vandy and Drew still have room to say they never had a deal since Drew was bound contractually to Ga Tech. Tech has suffered considerable damages here and if Drew had agreed to a deal, there are potential consequences to backing out.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Ring, ring.
"Hi, MBob here. How are ya?"
"Good, thanks. Been up all night celebrating. What's up?"
"How much did you enjoy the win last night?"
"A lot, actually. Seeing those academically ineligible cheats lose at the buzzer was a thing of beauty."
"How would you like to do that on a more regular basis?"
"Are you offering me a job? I'm happy here at the moment."
"Don't you think after 15 years it's time to move on? We have here, a fertile recruiting base, one of the best arenas in the country and compete in arguably the best conference in the country."
"About recruiting..."
"What about recruiting? I can get you access to our entire grass-roots AAU coaches here and you can pick your poison."
"Salary?"
"How much do you make right now? $2.4m. I can go as high as $3m and additional benefits."
"I think I can consider that. How soon can I interview in Atlanta?"
"How does today evening sound?"
"Works for me. Delta works; I have a skymiles."
"Done. See you tonight.."

AllGoldEverything

Georgia Tech Fan
What about Matt McCall from UT-Chattanooga? Up and coming coach who only lost 6 games his first year as a head coach. Also was an assistant for Billy Donovan for 4/5 years at UF. Not sure how good he recruits, but he probably has some Southeast connections during his time at UF.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ring, ring.
"Good, thanks. Been up all night celebrating. What's up?"
"How much did you enjoy the win last night?"
"A lot, actually. Seeing those academically ineligible cheats lose at the buzzer was a thing of beauty."
"How would you like to do that on a more regular basis?"
"Are you offering me a job? I'm happy here at the moment."
"Don't you think after 15 years it's time to move on? We have here, a fertile recruiting base, one of the best arenas in the country and compete in arguably the best conference in the country."
"About recruiting..."
"What about recruiting? I can get you access to our entire grass-roots AAU coaches here and you can pick your poison."
"Salary?"
"How much do you make right now? $2.4m. I can go as high as $3m and additional benefits."
"I think I can consider that. How soon can I interview in Atlanta?"
"How does today evening sound?"
"Works for me. Delta works; I have a skymiles."
"Done. See you tonight.."

More like ...

Ring, ring.
"Good, thanks. Been up all night celebrating. What's ... wait, you're not calling becau ..... BWAHAHAHA"
Dial-tone .............

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What about Matt McCall from UT-Chattanooga? Up and coming coach who only lost 6 games his first year as a head coach. Also was an assistant for Billy Donovan for 4/5 years at UF. Not sure how good he recruits, but he probably has some Southeast connections during his time at UF.

Too green.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This whole thing backfired a bit, but let's be honest...there are more than 2-3 guys in the country that can coach and recruit. Just because it's a name we haven't heard of doesn't mean it won't work out. Now probably isn't the time to panic

But who of those able are looking to leave or are available without a hefty buyout? Depletes the list quite significantly. It would be nice if there was a guy like Buzz Williams who is currently unhappy with his gig (like buzz was) hopefully we come across some kind of info like that.

I think we need an exciting hire here (as I think most of you agree) an initial excitement may create some profit with season tickets and early attendance while we hopefully get a foothold with the '17 class (a situation that is quickly approaching and putting us at a big disadvantage of we don't move soon). We need to take advantage of this hire and create some revenue (season ticket sales)

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Getting weirder by the minute...supposedly Drew's contract negotiations with Vandy have hit a "snag" and he's come back to MBob asking for more money and they're talking again. Personally I'd tell him to F-off, but he may still come to Atlanta now. What a cluster...