The reports of the TO's death have been grossly exaggerated

JacketFan137

Banned
If you go back and look at the QB pipeline for the late CPJ years, there was a lot of unfortunate circumstances. The biggest being Jaylend Ratliffe's extremely unfortunate injury before he got to play here. He would have been a freshman in 2014, and more than ready to take over when JT left. Add to that, Matthew Jordan ending his career before the 2017 season, Jay Jones being ineligible, Christian Campbell breaking his hand, Lucas Johnson being frequently injured.

The BBacks were similarly snakebitten.
jay jones was the one i thought was gonna be special. he was a freak athlete. felt similarly about ratliffe. taquon, oliver (and eventually yates in the future) i think just weren’t good enough passers to keep good defenses honest. best years by far were nesbitt and jt and i really think that’s cause they were at least a threat in the passing game

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Now show the Middle Tennessee or Kansas game. Or Clemson 2016. Pull that up
i can show you 4 games against P5 teams that the offense scored 10 total points and that offense didnt run the option.

Any offense can look like **** against better teams or even better prepared teams or even just off days.

But For someone who hates the option so much, you sure do keep coming in to this same thread about the option. I'm going to quote @Augusta_Jacket again

If discussion about the 3O irritates you, might I suggest you not read a thread titled The Reports of the TO's Death Have Been Grossly Exaggerated...

JacketFan137

Banned
i can show you 4 games against P5 teams that the offense scored 10 total points and that offense didnt run the option.

Any offense can look like **** against better teams or even better prepared teams or even just off days.

But For someone who hates the option so much, you sure do keep coming in to this same thread about the option. I'm going to quote @Augusta_Jacket again
by applying this (ridiculous) logic everyone hates collins. why do we keep coming back to the threads?

doesn’t make much sense. people can discuss things if they don’t like them. although gold1 wasn’t even discussing anything just hating lol

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i wasn’t responding to you though so i’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here
I guess I’m just bragging... the question I posed this morning became closely held convention of option lovers everywhere in just a couple of hours. I had no idea I peddled such influence! ;)

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
by applying this (ridiculous) logic everyone hates collins. why do we keep coming back to the threads?

doesn’t make much sense. people can discuss things if they don’t like them. although gold1 wasn’t even discussing anything just hating lol
And yet here you yet again in a thread you hate the topic of with the same crap that you always spew.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's getting a bit chippy in this thread. Remember what the great philosopher Dr. Suess said about the TO and other events of the past:

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

I think we would all do well to reflect upon this and take a deep breath. ;)

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks.

If CPJ did not have the support he needed to upgrade our facilities, hire better assistants at higher salaries and so forth, then the demise of Tech football is NOT a result of playing option football (or of CGC for that matter). The constant harping against his "high school offense" - when voiced against CPJ by Tech fans - is indicative of their style preferences and nothing more. It's my contention that in the NIL-world of big money athletics, we HAVE to do something different to gain whatever competitive advantage we can because we are at a disadvantage in so many other ways.

But hey, we can go out and hire the best and brightest of the up-and-coming young coaches playing the same offense that every other team is playing. And we'll need to hire the perfect candidate not once but every 3-5 years because the bigger programs will lure them away with more money time and time again. (This is the transfer portal for coaches.)

But at least no one will make fun of us.
Well put. I believe most fans seem to forget how important the QB position is in the option. I think everyone will agree that JT was the best option QB at Tech. In 2014 and 2016 were good years because of our QB play. Taquon played with a ton of heart, but he was not at the same caliber as JT and our record showed. All I'm saying is that if CPJ was still here and Tobias Oliver was playing QB, I think we would have won 8 or 9 games from 2019 to present. The key to many offenses in any scheme is having a great QB.

A side note:

Those stating that the blocking scheme change would have affected CPJ'S offense. As many have mentioned that he was the grandmaster of the TO and a genius in in-game adjustments. Do you honestly believe that he would not have adapted his offense? He is way too stubborn to just settle. There probably would have been a learning curve in the new adjustments, but i feel that he would have been successful.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This thread has me intrigued enough to ask this question. If having a unique scheme is so advantageous why is no one proposing the single wing, the T formation , the wishbone or the I formation? These are all cutting edge offensive schemes in their day but no one is (apparently) pushing them as far as I can tell. What is it about the TO that differentiates itself from any of the aforementioned offensive schemes that no one seems to be clamoring for? Is it because y'all have seen the TO and not the others? Is it something else? Believe it or not, this is an honest and good faith question.

JacketFan137

Banned
This thread has me intrigued enough to ask this question. If having a unique scheme is so advantageous why is no one proposing the single wing, the T formation , the wishbone or the I formation? These are all cutting edge offensive schemes in their day but no one is (apparently) pushing them as far as I can tell. What is it about the TO that differentiates itself from any of the aforementioned offensive schemes that no one seems to be clamoring for? Is it because y'all have seen the TO and not the others? Is it something else? Believe it or not, this is an honest and good faith question.
the triple option has supporters because paul ran it and he fits the personality of many tech fans as well as his version being the main one and foundation of what we see across football today at army, navy, etc.

i don’t think anyone is running plays out of the wishbone or running wing t outside of a gimmick play here and there. no team is using it consistently as a base formation. clamoring for any of the ones you mentioned would basically be clamoring for a coach that is probably at some way lower level of football that everyone is entirely unfamiliar with.

JacketFan137

Banned
I will still go back and watch that game where Tobias Oliver ran ALL OVER Virgina Tech. That was the game where I had visions of what the next couple of years were going to look like. AH... What could have been...
if he could throw at all he would have been amazing. he might have been the best open field runner we had on any paul johnson team.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
why is no one proposing the single wing, the T formation , the wishbone or the I formation?
I can’t speak to wing or I, but wasn’t the point of the flexbone to give the running plays of the wishbone while providing a better basing threat with more players at the LOS. I don’t know how much value is added in the wishbone vs what is gained in the flex. I’m sure others will correct me though 😂

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Those stating that the blocking scheme change would have affected CPJ'S offense. As many have mentioned that he was the grandmaster of the TO and a genius in in-game adjustments. Do you honestly believe that he would not have adapted his offense? He is way too stubborn to just settle. There probably would have been a learning curve in the new adjustments, but i feel that he would have been successful.

GSU, Navy, or early GT CPJ? Absolutely.

Last several years CPJ? No. He saw he needed to adapt his offense and started to with the diamond stuff. Then just flat out abandoned it. I think that more than anything is why he retired. He knew what needed to be done because he had done it his entire career but no longer was up for doing it for whatever reason.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Is the "hurry up" offense a unique scheme? Guys holding up weird posters on the sidelines so that players get their signals quickly without waiting for someone to run in with the play from the coach?

Yeah, these are innovations that have changed the game. Everyone is looking for an edge.