The reports of the TO's death have been grossly exaggerated

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We use to have a scheme worth talking about. Ibeballin tried to do it a bit with coach P's scheme. But I will admit what we've been attempting to run these past four years is just liek a jumbled mess game to game.
In fairness, it took a really keen eye to see our recent schemes develop.
There was a lot of “this is what SHOULD’VE happened” in the dissection.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Kinda, because you lose midline.

Everybody talks about the triple/veer as the signature play of the PJO, but honestly I think midline is the straw that stirs the drink. The threat of the back being in the secondary NOW forced everybody to defend inside-out and opened up all the rocket toss action, and the sprintout passing game for slant/rail and everything else.

Well, sorta not really? Watch the Oregon-Auburn national championship game - Oregon runs midline from the gun to neutralize Nick Fairley. I didn’t watch Oregon much that year so I‘m not sure how much midline they ran out of the gun throughout the year.

But, you’re probably right: Fairley was such a dominant (piece of turd) that he tackled both the QB and the RB when Oregon tried to run midline. :)

Ah, didn’t read the rest of the option nerds posts after yours. I miss the days of actually talking about X’s and O’s …

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The lien action is exactly the same as a 10 series midline so its really just on your QB and BB Because if yoru runnign midlien agianst Odd front and the guy cuts the tackle off he washes anyway and its a keep read autmatically for the QB. So its not as expensive as you would think when your midlining all the time. And have an agile line with lots of pulling.

Our main constaint play was actually B back trap in due to the agility we had at guard. Against a lesser team we might run 33 or 32 trap 30 times a game.

Will say this the RPO action off a cross charging LB when suddnely your WR is 30 yards down the field is hilarious.

Did you run some under center too?

GTsapper

Georgia Tech Fan
You know who used to run a lot of fun option plays out of the pistol? Chris Ault at Nevada. Whatever happened to that guy? Actually I'm assuming he's retired because that dude was old 15 years ago.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm 54 years old... I'm guessing I'll live 0-50 years longer.

Please.... PLEASE.... PPLLEEEEEEEASE.

I want the debate about TO v alternative to NEVER EVER EVER stop until I'm dead & gone. Swarm... Please make it so. My dying (prematurely) wish.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We use to have a scheme worth talking about. Ibeballin tried to do it a bit with coach P's scheme. But I will admit what we've been attempting to run these past four years is just liek a jumbled mess game to game.
Ballin stopped posting breakdowns here because Quinlan began paying him for it.

Having longestday doing stuff was good back in the day even if he wasn’t an expert, sad no one else picked up that torch.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You know who used to run a lot of fun option plays out of the pistol? Chris Ault at Nevada. Whatever happened to that guy? Actually I'm assuming he's retired because that dude was old 15 years ago.

Sounds like he had a pretty fun post-Nevada coaching career. Was a consultant for the Kansas City Chiefs, then coached in the Italian League (and won a lot).

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I want the debate about TO v alternative to NEVER EVER EVER stop until I'm dead & gone. Swarm... Please make it so. My dying (prematurely) wish.
I’m thinking 0-50 is a pretty solid guess.
(y)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Did you run some under center too?
Yep we ran both Undercenter and from the pistol. Often with reads on defensive alignment to shift on a call. (we would shift to undercenter but the play call would remain the same) This was done if the QB recognized a stunt or something from gun that would increase success by shifting to under center or vice versa. Each play had a pass check off of it as well as pre snap hot call (usually it was a slant right where a backer was blitzing from).
All in all we had 8 series of plays each series could be ran from the gun or from under center. Gun being a pistol formation.
10 series - Midline, QB sweeps and QB traps 10 and 11 were midline left or right, 12/13 was QB off guard dive, 14/15 was trap to on the end from the backside guard (typically this was ran from gun) 16/17 was influence trapping the end (would also be from the gun) 18/19 was a sweep. Backfield action on 14/15 was counter.
2 series was all triples. of varying styles.
3 series was all BB runs of basically the same variety as 10s
4 Series was A back action ISO sweeps, counters, traps all form the I motion (motioning to I then to the trail A back.
5 Series was all the wing A back or the one not in twirl doign similiar things.
6 Series was screen passes/play action.
7 Mid range passes
8 Long range passes

Reciever route combos were tied to the second number in passing series. Or explicitly stated like Trips Right 75 F Hole (this was a curl flat combo with a deep corner on the play side. Curl on the backside and F would sneak through the line after a play action and run straight up the field. We scored many a TD off this as the B back woudl be completely un covered against a single high. And stuff like that.

Formation wise we lived in standard Flex 50 percent of the time, trips or twins alot of the time. and alternating gun and under center based on defensively alignment or situation. Plays were all relayed on A-back and WR rotation. But we had a limited playbook for HUNH that was simply called by the QB using a live /dead audible system. (First and third were one color, second was another. live color would be said in the huddle or on sideline when we used it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Ballin stopped posting breakdowns here because Quinlan began paying him for it.

Having longestday doing stuff was good back in the day even if he wasn’t an expert, sad no one else picked up that torch.
Well quinlan paying him for it is better than somone ripping him off as themselves which happened a few times i think.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Okay. I'll play.

Assume two teams of equal talent on both sides of the ball - on the field and on the sidelines. One team runs a pro-style offense; the other runs a TO-style offense.

Which team wins?

Support your conclusion. Use both sides of the paper if necessary.

JacketFan137

Banned
Everyone wanted to make an excuse about how the TO was holding us back, CPJ can only win so much, etc,etc. If the dumbasses would have supported him like they supported Collins we would be in a much much better place right now. I have never seen GT allow as many transfers before as they have this year.
i get the point you’re trying to make but that has more to do with the ease of the portal and how common it’s become than any coach. that’s something literally every school is dealing with. big guys are poaching talent off the little guys and any guy that’s buried in the depth chart at a big school is going to smaller schools to get playing time. welcome to college football in 2022

JacketFan137

Banned
Okay. I'll play.

Assume two teams of equal talent on both sides of the ball - on the field and on the sidelines. One team runs a pro-style offense; the other runs a TO-style offense.

Which team wins?

Support your conclusion. Use both sides of the paper if necessary.
the better coached team or the team where an individual player has the game of his life. scheme alone doesn’t win games. it’s about application of your scheme and knowing what to do with it

that’s why many of us aren’t so thrilled to bring in an option coach because when we did run it we had arguably the greatest option coach of all time, and there’s no guarantee any of these up and coming guys are remotely close to as good as paul. some people seem to want to bring in an option coach on the basis of just being the option and not merit