The one Way CBG keeps his job....

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
I feel that in order to maintain his job, Gregory needs to do the AMAZING. Bring in a Top-3 recruit, Jaylen Brown. If we cant get homegrown talent with him at the helm and being at the heart of ATL, he's not our guy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I feel that in order to maintain his job, Gregory needs to do the AMAZING. Bring in a Top-3 recruit, Jaylen Brown. If we cant get homegrown talent with him at the helm and being at the heart of ATL, he's not our guy.

The Favors situation work against what you're saying. If I take a pig and dress it in prada for a day, I'm still left with a pig in the end.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Favors can still be a force in recruiting. Played at Tech, now performing well in NBA

I'm speaking more to the fact that Hew landing Favors likely bought him another year when, for the good of the program, it probably would've been better to just let Hew go at that time. Same situation could be presenting itself with Brown. If CBG lands him does he really deserve to stay?

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm speaking more to the fact that Hew landing Favors likely bought him another year when, for the good of the program, it probably would've been better to just let Hew go at that time. Same situation could be presenting itself with Brown. If CBG lands him does he really deserve to stay?
I agree, just trying to find any reason at all that he would stay

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

@kg01 says it well & succinctly, but I'm gonna ramble on for no good reason.

In & of itself, this really isn't enough. BG really needed to show a platform for sustained success this year so that Jaylen Brown could put us over the top for a run next year.

I was a Hewitt apologist for years, but in retrospect, we really should have fired him after the massively underachieving Derrick Favors year. He had at least 3 McDonald's All-Americans on that squad and couldn't get past the 1st wknd. Heck, he had to squeak in to the NCAA tourney.

The following year was a disaster.

Even if he lands JB, he's now got to replace 5 kids in 2016, which is proving tough already. There is a ton of 2016 talent locally and nationally that we're evaluating and while there may be interest on some fronts, we're poised to get beat out by plenty of programs that shouldn't be beating us out.

I wish things would've worked out with BG. I like a lot of our players and think there's talent to win. He hasn't been able to coach them over the top though and things could potentially get worse with a big class needing to be brought in.

Probably just best to wish him success in his next role and move on.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
The one way he keeps his job is to pull a Dennis Felton and win the ACC tournament.

And even then it's probably only a 1 year reprieve.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
OK. No. That is a terrible reason to keep a coach around.

Say we land Jaylen Brown. He comes into the program in July/August.

Next year we win...............19-22 games, get into the tournament as a 7-10 seed. Remember JB isnt a shooter, hes a slasher, rim attacker.

At next years conclusion, we lose, MGH, Bolden, Mitchell Jacobs and Brown because he is a one and done. For the 16-17 season we have a starting lineup as follows:

PG-Jorgy
SG-Tadric
SF-Q
PF-Gueye
C-Lammers

That is of course without knowing who we land in the 16 class (currently have zero commits and have whiffed on our top big man target)

Is one year as a tournament team worth it? That starting 5 above has more questions than answers and after that 5 there is really...........not much. At least the class that came in with Favors had a bunch of talent. Udofia was highly rated. Rice and Holsey were top 100 and Oliver was top 150. In 14 we brought in a project player in Gueye, a defensive big man in Lammers and Tadric who has struggled mightily and has played very sparingly lately and i am hoping that his development goes better than Boldens. Next season we have Ogbonda who is again a project player and noone else as of yet. CBG has continuously shown he struggles recruiting elite talent in ATL. 2016 isnt looking real hot at the moment but its still way too early to tell. If he gets lucky and lands Brown and then pulls the golden sombrero in 2016 this program is EFFED for years to come.

I cant imagine keeping this guy as the coach. There hasnt been enough improvement in his first 4 years to give him another 2 IMHO. Ive spoken with DTM before about fans who give ultimatums, but i am not sure I will care as much next year if he is still here, its just not worth the frustration. A lot of good basketball being played elsewhere.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
OK. No. That is a terrible reason to keep a coach around.

Say we land Jaylen Brown. He comes into the program in July/August.

Next year we win...............19-22 games, get into the tournament as a 7-10 seed. Remember JB isnt a shooter, hes a slasher, rim attacker.

At next years conclusion, we lose, MGH, Bolden, Mitchell Jacobs and Brown because he is a one and done. For the 16-17 season we have a starting lineup as follows:

PG-Jorgy
SG-Tadric
SF-Q
PF-Gueye
C-Lammers

That is of course without knowing who we land in the 16 class (currently have zero commits and have whiffed on our top big man target)

Is one year as a tournament team worth it? That starting 5 above has more questions than answers and after that 5 there is really...........not much. At least the class that came in with Favors had a bunch of talent. Udofia was highly rated. Rice and Holsey were top 100 and Oliver was top 150. In 14 we brought in a project player in Gueye, a defensive big man in Lammers and Tadric who has struggled mightily and has played very sparingly lately and i am hoping that his development goes better than Boldens. Next season we have Ogbonda who is again a project player and noone else as of yet. CBG has continuously shown he struggles recruiting elite talent in ATL. 2016 isnt looking real hot at the moment but its still way too early to tell. If he gets lucky and lands Brown and then pulls the golden sombrero in 2016 this program is EFFED for years to come.

I cant imagine keeping this guy as the coach. There hasnt been enough improvement in his first 4 years to give him another 2 IMHO. Ive spoken with DTM before about fans who give ultimatums, but i am not sure I will care as much next year if he is still here, its just not worth the frustration. A lot of good basketball being played elsewhere.

yep, Greg is nice guy but he can't make it work, getting "close" is not good enough- I remember the Q recruitment--he was a good state-level player--but we celebrated like the 4th july when he signed. That's the problem ,the level of talent--top talent does not miss BOTH ends of game-winning FTs . -----OR he has not coached them up (see Tadric,Bolden) to be a factor soon enough.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think we are just happy to sign kids that we can actually find on recruiting sites. Q was one of those kids. He is a great piece dont get me wrong, the kid is a sniper. But a player like Q cant be a feature player in your offense.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we are just happy to sign kids that we can actually find on recruiting sites. Q was one of those kids. He is a great piece dont get me wrong, the kid is a sniper. But a player like Q cant be a feature player in your offense.
Q is taller than I am, but he has the same body type I had in college. I played two seasons and finally gave it up. I was getting pushed around far too much, and relatively speaking, it didn't take much of a push to move me out of the play. I was a shooter, like Q, but we didn't have the 3-point shot back then. I doubt it would have mattered much because I could not defend a player who weighed 200 pounds when I was giving away 30 pounds. And I could not drive past that player unless I just flat out beat him. Every fight for position was a battle I lost. I see that with Q all the time. And, that is precisely why he tires so quickly. It takes more effort when you give away so much physically.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Q is taller than I am, but he has the same body type I had in college. I played two seasons and finally gave it up. I was getting pushed around far too much, and relatively speaking, it didn't take much of a push to move me out of the play. I was a shooter, like Q, but we didn't have the 3-point shot back then. I doubt it would have mattered much because I could not defend a player who weighed 200 pounds when I was giving away 30 pounds. And I could not drive past that player unless I just flat out beat him. Every fight for position was a battle I lost. I see that with Q all the time. And, that is precisely why he tires so quickly. It takes more effort when you give away so much physically.

on Q-in recruiting I remember guys saying-- he might be skinny but real long,great for being at top of ZONE to intimidate passes and shots
Ha! zone? what zone-----in man to-m he is too slow on some guys and too weak on others usually
to be fair,he is a solid asset in back-up role--that's the problem,we have way too many back-ups

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What is kind of hilarious is we have a team that I think would excel in a zone defense. Jorgy and MGH up top and Q, Cox and Sampson on the baseline. Lot of length. Sampson and Q on helpside D i would imagine would work well.

Who knows.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
The Favors situation work against what you're saying. If I take a pig and dress it in prada for a day, I'm still left with a pig in the end.

Meh. I think it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Hewitt was an awful coach with incredible talent throughout his tenure. So what if he added more talent to the mix - he'd had great talent for years and driven the program into the ground.

Gregory is a decent in-game coach, we've just had no talent since he's been here. If he did manage to land Brown (which he won't) that would be a totally different situation than what we've had. I'd give him another year, but it would be contingent on landing Brown, making a run to the NCAAs next year, AND landing more talent in the '16 and '17 classes to give us a reason to believe the success is sustainable.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
Me in my own opinion I feel like it's just time for a new coach, We shouldn't be in a rebuilding year 4 years into his time here. I thinking waiting to see if Jaylen sign is just going to put the program farther in the ground.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Hewitt was an awful coach with incredible talent throughout his tenure. So what if he added more talent to the mix - he'd had great talent for years and driven the program into the ground.

Gregory is a decent in-game coach, we've just had no talent since he's been here. If he did manage to land Brown (which he won't) that would be a totally different situation than what we've had. I'd give him another year, but it would be contingent on landing Brown, making a run to the NCAAs next year, AND landing more talent in the '16 and '17 classes to give us a reason to believe the success is sustainable.

It's not that simple on both counts.

Hewitt was a significantly better coach in all facets than CBG has ever been. The problem was he didn't stay that way.

There's no way for CBG to land talent for '16 or '17 without committing to him long-term. If you want to give him a year with Brown you gotta be willing to put GT on the hook for paying him for several more years. You'd also have to assume he lands more post-grad talent this offseason to bolster the roster. I think that's a crapshoot as well.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not that simple on both counts.

Hewitt was a significantly better coach in all facets than CBG has ever been. The problem was he didn't stay that way.

There's no way for CBG to land talent for '16 or '17 without committing to him long-term. If you want to give him a year with Brown you gotta be willing to put GT on the hook for paying him for several more years. You'd also have to assume he lands more post-grad talent this offseason to bolster the roster. I think that's a crapshoot as well.
I don't disagree at all that the situation is unrealistic and will never happen. I do think the jury's still out on his coaching ability but we'll never really know because he will never have the talent.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

So you'd actually give him at least 2 more years?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I would argue that CPH had significant help from his staff on the xs and os.. anyone else remember the trainwreck that was him yelling on the sideline "Motion...Motion"

I remember hearing rumors that Jack basically ran the offense despite the coach through our run to the championship game, and after that season we saw serious drop off.

CBG on the other hand has been trying to make things work with the limited talent and broken pieces we have. I know many disagree with his substitution pattern - but I still wish we could see what he could do with the right talent. No doubt year 4 should have seen a more coherent class and team distribution - but there were special circumstances with the poole boys and Mr Bobby C departing early.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree at all that the situation is unrealistic and will never happen. I do think the jury's still out on his coaching ability but we'll never really know because he will never have the talent.

I'm interested in what else there is to see. Did you watch Dayton while he was there? Trust me, it's more of the same.