The one Way CBG keeps his job....

slugboy

Staff member
It's hard to believe that DRad and Dave Braine before him were that poor at evaluating and hiring coaches. I know we were hampered a couple of years ago because of budget. I guess we thought things would work out different at Tech than they did at Dayton.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Alright Trebek, I’ll play your game. What is… Who coaches GT basketball next year if every other college coach and assistant dies in the apocalypse?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Alright Trebek, I’ll play your game. What is… Who coaches GT basketball next year if every other college coach and assistant dies in the apocalypse?

1-That would make us champs next year.

2-My biggest fear is that MBob is buying what everyone is selling with the whole "unlucky" stuff thats being thrown out there. We have been a bit unlucky, but our record is only about 10% unluckiness.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
1-That would make us champs next year.

2-My biggest fear is that MBob is buying what everyone is selling with the whole "unlucky" stuff thats being thrown out there. We have been a bit unlucky, but our record is only about 10% unluckiness.
I’m not concerned about MBob. He’s just riding it out like the rest of us this year. He’ll find somebody else after this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would argue that CPH had significant help from his staff on the xs and os.. anyone else remember the trainwreck that was him yelling on the sideline "Motion...Motion"

I remember hearing rumors that Jack basically ran the offense despite the coach through our run to the championship game, and after that season we saw serious drop off.

CBG on the other hand has been trying to make things work with the limited talent and broken pieces we have.

No more excuses. It's year 4.

Apparently we should hire Jack. Sheesh, people need to stop looking for reasons to discredit the former coach. He gone. Let it go. I sincerely apologize for bringing it up. Totally my fault.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Outside of a miracle, which would be winning the ACCT to get in the NCAAT, CBG is done at the end of the year. I don't care what MBOB says to the media, CBG is gone.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
At this point, it would most likely be CBG is gone. My concern if he were to stay is look at recruiting for next year...major concern. At least with a new coach, we may able to bring in a couple more decent players. I appreciate the hard play of our transfers, but we can't keep building the team with transfers.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At this point, it would most likely be CBG is gone. My concern if he were to stay is look at recruiting for next year...major concern. At least with a new coach, we may able to bring in a couple more decent players. I appreciate the hard play of our transfers, but we can't keep building the team with transfers.
This is the biggest problem we're facing. There appears to be minimal traction with the 2016 class, despite a wealth of talent in-state.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CBG is seen as almost gone and I am sure most recruiting talk regarding us revolves around that likelihood. MBOB may not think it's fair, but it must be a factor. I don't think we are the favorite of any 2015 or 2016 recruits right now.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Losing out on Chris Lewis in 16 is a bigger blow to the program than if we miss on Jaylen brown imho
We've already missed on our 1st 2 2016 post offers to Harvard (Chris Lewis) & Tennessee (Romello White).

Debatable circumstances, but we were in D'Marcus Simonds' Top 3 when he committed to Mississippi State.

There's a lot of smoke we could miss on Brandon Robinson and/or Alterique Gilbert to FSU, while Charlton Young continues to eat our lunch.

If we've got a lame duck staff with 4 crucial spots to fill, that becomes a major problem and puts you in position to dig a deeper hole.

It's somewhat disappointing, because Herrion is bringing some interesting areas in to play, recruiting wise, and he spent the entire 2014 summer coaching at grass roots camps, so he's familiar with these kids and had plenty of access to them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
While I agree, I think if you go for broke and bring in Marshall (however unlikely) we still have a legit shot with these kids in our own backyard (especially Robinson)

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
The 1st class suppose to been the foundation of the building of the program. The way the foundation is laid at the moment, the building is not stable. It's time for a new foreman to start on another foundation.

All these comments have one similar theme to them, IF, But, Could be. That is the problem. He's been at Tech now for 4 years and the talent is still piss poor. Either you can bring in top notch talent or you can't. He hasn't so far, so what makes anyone think he will in the future. This isn't football, where a coach really needs at least 5 to 6 years to change the talent level. Basketball can realistically be done in 3 years or less. All it takes is one or two pt players and the race is on and the snowball effect is in process. One of my biggest issues is he kept a Bolden type kid around, but let Solo fly. I don't know the whole story, but the way Bolden looks on the court and his demeanor is not good. Hitching your wagon to the wrong horses can be devastating for your coaching career and CBG has done just that.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I'm speaking more to the fact that Hew landing Favors likely bought him another year when, for the good of the program, it probably would've been better to just let Hew go at that time. Same situation could be presenting itself with Brown. If CBG lands him does he really deserve to stay?

No.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
All these comments have one similar theme to them, IF, But, Could be. That is the problem. He's been at Tech now for 4 years and the talent is still piss poor. Either you can bring in top notch talent or you can't. He hasn't so far, so what makes anyone think he will in the future. This isn't football, where a coach really needs at least 5 to 6 years to change the talent level. Basketball can realistically be done in 3 years or less. All it takes is one or two pt players and the race is on and the snowball effect is in process. One of my biggest issues is he kept a Bolden type kid around, but let Solo fly. I don't know the whole story, but the way Bolden looks on the court and his demeanor is not good. Hitching your wagon to the wrong horses can be devastating for your coaching career and CBG has done just that.

I dont know about the whole Bolden/Solo situation, Solo wasnt going to win you any games. I like his ability to score but he was/is a chucker, hes shoots in bulk. Monte Morris would have been the best way to go before any of that ever happened. But hindsight............

About your timeline, i agree 100%, Auburn will be an upper level SEC team in year 2. And before anyone says, "well the SEC isnt the ACC"..............yeah I know, but we wouldnt be doing a whole lot better in the SEC than we are in the ACC this year or in previous years.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
One of my biggest issues is he kept a Bolden type kid around, but let Solo fly. I don't know the whole story, but the way Bolden looks on the court and his demeanor is not good. Hitching your wagon to the wrong horses can be devastating for your coaching career and CBG has done just that.

Was there an issue between Solo and Bolden where the coach had to chose and only keep one? Otherwise, I think you are presenting a false choice. I am also not sure what "demeanor" you are talking about from Bolden. He has been crazy inconsistent, but I have never seen him as a problem kid from my observations. On the other hand, it was clear that Solo and the coach had issues, and that Solo was just going out doing his own thing on the court (which was not working). I just decided to look at what Solo is doing this year, thinking another coach might have been able to do a lot better with his talent. I am not convinced. At FAU, he is averaging 13.8 points, but is shooting only 32% (34% from 3) and has a negative assist to turnover ratio of 2.5 asst / 3.6 to. That is not good.

I have felt, and still believe, that Gregory is not particularly good at developing players or getting the most out of young talent (cough cough Tadric). That said, maybe he is not quite as much to blame for Solo's flame out as I had previously thought. 2.5 asst / 3.6 to is really bad.