The OL

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of the obvious passing downs, it looked like we actually had a couple of tight ends out there helping against the DEs. Not sure who it actually was (drank a whole lot today) but there was some really good protection.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
To all that called for Sewak's head, does he still need to be canned?
I have never considered myself one capable of judging the job Sewak has done. But I do know two things worth noting here.
1) He has always gotten a lot of grief for not being a guy who gave any serious effort into recruiting, and worse of having a bad reputation as far as interaction with recruits on campus. At Tech especially you can't really afford to have any assistants slacking off on that aspect of the college game.

2) It was after last season (as I recall) that CPJ made a point of letting it be known that he thought o line play had been a serious problem and sh-- had better change and fast. Word also got out, or he may have even actually discussed it tacitly with the press, that he had a serious and critical review of Sewak's performance and that it was pretty clear that this season CMS was going to have to really prove himself deserving to keep the job.

So, all that said I do think the o-line has been fine and I suspect that CPJ going back to getting a second guy helping Sewak has contributed to it (he has the Special Teams Coord also working the OLine) and his laying into Sewak this past offseason about seriously stepping it up has helped . . . and then Sewak deserves credit straight up as well since it has clearly been the strongest and deepest unit on the team this year.

So good job CMS!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
G-C-G combo we've got right now is the best we've had so far under CPJ and it ain't close. They have the beef, and can move. I was worried about both T spots, but have been pleasantly surprised. I am worried about replacing so much production at the skill positions next year, but I would rather worry about that any day, and be confident in the stout OL we are building, than know we had good skill guys but have questions on the OL. We are about to get to crazy levels of offensive production if we can weather the inexperience of next year at the skill spots. Great job OL!

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of the obvious passing downs, it looked like we actually had a couple of tight ends out there helping against the DEs. Not sure who it actually was (drank a whole lot today) but there was some really good protection.
It was the heavy formation where we have an unbalance line and a wr on the line of scrimmage replacing the over tackle. So as you go along the line of scrimmage you have a wr, guard, center, guard, tackle, tackle. No tight end at all.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
G-C-G combo we've got right now is the best we've had so far under CPJ and it ain't close. They have the beef, and can move. I was worried about both T spots, but have been pleasantly surprised. I am worried about replacing so much production at the skill positions next year, but I would rather worry about that any day, and be confident in the stout OL we are building, than know we had good skill guys but have questions on the OL. We are about to get to crazy levels of offensive production if we can weather the inexperience of next year at the skill spots. Great job OL!

Can't wait to see the test vs the Clemson DL

SR DE - Vic Beasley
SR DT - Grady Jarrett
SR DT - Josh Watson
SR DE - Corey Crawford

Top backup at DE SR - Tavarius Barnes
Top backup at DT SR - DeShawn Williams

Also have a good DE in So - Shaq Lawson and a good one in So DT - Carlos Watkins

Going to be a hell of a matchup!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait to see the test vs the Clemson DL

SR DE - Vic Beasley
SR DT - Grady Jarrett
SR DT - Josh Watson
SR DE - Corey Crawford

Top backup at DE SR - Tavarius Barnes
Top backup at DT SR - DeShawn Williams

Also have a good DE in So - Shaq Lawson and a good one in So DT - Carlos Watkins

Going to be a hell of a matchup!

I think we're going with midline option in a way we haven't.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we're going with midline option in a way we haven't.
I was kind of expecting some midline against UVA. I am not sure what keys CPJ uses to determine the call or not, but I thought it would be a nice change up after the DE was just flying up field unblocked all day. Oh well, what do I know.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the OL is playing great this year, too, but there is a caveat. JT. JT's execution of the offense helps them do their jobs in so many ways it's not funny. First off, he's able to run the staple core plays of the offense that Vad could not. He executes much faster and much more decisively, especially attacking defenders and making them commit. The deception of the mesh is day and night compared to last year. And for all of Vad's hype as a passer, JT has given us that passing threat we sorely lacked in the offense prior.

Give the OL their due, but JT his due, too. He makes them better, a lot better.