The OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE LINES

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere. I thought the performance of both lines was outstanding ! The FSU DL was top notch and our OL moved them around to create running lanes and also gave Sims a pocket to pass from. Our DL ( without Clayton) put pressure on Blackman and slowed down their run game. Curry was mostly outstanding- running forward and side to side. Ryans, and others were PLAYMAKERS. All in all , a very good start- definite room for improvement, but sooo much better than last year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Perhaps the most auspicious stat of the day that I could find was 20 of the 76 total tackles made in the game (including ST's and interception return defense) were made by the DL. We haven't seen that in a while. Additionally, that high number was not created by a single player going off with a great game. Instead, the numbers were spread fairly evenly across all members of the ATL DL roster. This bodes well in that we can play a lot of guys without much drop-off. In an attempt to temper our expectations a bit, in my estimation, the FSU OL is below average for our conference. On the plus side, even though we weren't crazy disruptive on the pass rush edges, we did get some push up the middle, driving the pocket a little deeper. Even though we didn't get there much for the first 3 qtrs of the game, their QB couldn't step into his throws the way he would have liked because of that. Most of his throws were off time and a little off target as a result. I remain a little concerned about this group, but there is zero doubt we have come a long way since last year. As a whole, the defense was a more cohesive unit without any busts or alignment issues that I could detect live. That matters a lot and it wasn't always that way last year. We ran our stuff well.

On the flip side, FSU's DL is well above average for our conference IMHO. While I feel our OL struggled mightily getting them blocked, we showed light years improvement over last year. Sims made us look better than we were with his feet and his pocket presence. He didn't have a ton of time, but he is very adept at creating time for himself. He looks like he has been to pro QB training camps about 5 years running. His back pedal retreats while setting up a screen or waiting for a crossing receiver to clear were things of beauty. You may look at the total yards rushing and say, how can you have that opinion about our OL Boomer? Well, I will point you to the number of yards rushing that were gained essentially after plays broke down, it might be over 50% of the total. Our RBs are almost superhero status, there weren't many lanes for them last night but they were fairly productive anyway. My concerns are that we couldn't line up and smash them for yards that we needed. There were too many short, zero, or negative carries and if it weren't for some spectacular conversions on third down, it would have been a much different story. Still, you have to give the OL major props for drawing a very very tough first game assignment and showing dramatic improvement over last year regardless.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Was extremely impressed by our O-Line. Haven't seen that kind of cohesiveness since Shaq was here. I think the DL was at least average which is much better than we have been. Was more impressed by the fact we were able to rotate as many guys in on the DL without any dropoff even with the some players out. I'd take average with that kind of rotation over slightly above average with only 4 guys capable of playing.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
While the D line was much improved from last year, I felt a lot of their pressure was due to excellent coverage. Our coverage (without Swilling and Tariq for half the game) is clearly a strength, given that FSU WR’s are NFL caliber guys. It was definitely a team effort!

We covered last year and still got toasted. Couldn't hit a blitz without letting the QB escape. FSU actually did fantastic picking up most of our blitzes. Not all. The pressure often came from collapsing the pocket with 3-4 guys up front and a LB closing in after the pocket broke down. The thump by Riq made them hesitate, and Blackman wasn't willing to make the quick read after we rattled him. Most of the pressure was after their starting OL got dinged up, but before then we were still holding the line way way better than last year.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps the most auspicious stat of the day that I could find was 20 of the 76 total tackles made in the game (including ST's and interception return defense) were made by the DL. We haven't seen that in a while. Additionally, that high number was not created by a single player going off with a great game. Instead, the numbers were spread fairly evenly across all members of the ATL DL roster. This bodes well in that we can play a lot of guys without much drop-off. In an attempt to temper our expectations a bit, in my estimation, the FSU OL is below average for our conference. On the plus side, even though we weren't crazy disruptive on the pass rush edges, we did get some push up the middle, driving the pocket a little deeper. Even though we didn't get there much for the first 3 qtrs of the game, their QB couldn't step into his throws the way he would have liked because of that. Most of his throws were off time and a little off target as a result. I remain a little concerned about this group, but there is zero doubt we have come a long way since last year. As a whole, the defense was a more cohesive unit without any busts or alignment issues that I could detect live. That matters a lot and it wasn't always that way last year. We ran our stuff well.

On the flip side, FSU's DL is well above average for our conference IMHO. While I feel our OL struggled mightily getting them blocked, we showed light years improvement over last year. Sims made us look better than we were with his feet and his pocket presence. He didn't have a ton of time, but he is very adept at creating time for himself. He looks like he has been to pro QB training camps about 5 years running. His back pedal retreats while setting up a screen or waiting for a crossing receiver to clear were things of beauty. You may look at the total yards rushing and say, how can you have that opinion about our OL Boomer? Well, I will point you to the number of yards rushing that were gained essentially after plays broke down, it might be over 50% of the total. Our RBs are almost superhero status, there weren't many lanes for them last night but they were fairly productive anyway. My concerns are that we couldn't line up and smash them for yards that we needed. There were too many short, zero, or negative carries and if it weren't for some spectacular conversions on third down, it would have been a much different story. Still, you have to give the OL major props for drawing a very very tough first game assignment and showing dramatic improvement over last year regardless.
Exactly. Much better expressed than I did !

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Was extremely impressed by our O-Line. Haven't seen that kind of cohesiveness since Shaq was here. I think the DL was at least average which is much better than we have been. Was more impressed by the fact we were able to rotate as many guys in on the DL without any dropoff even with the some players out. I'd take average with that kind of rotation over slightly above average with only 4 guys capable of playing.
The OL improvement was a "KEY" factor, amiright ??(y)

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
The O-line was much better particularly in pass protection. I didn’t expect our line to open up a bunch of running lanes against FSU’s front 4, but they managed. I really think Sims ability to hit quick short passes at the start of the game set the tone. CDP wasn’t going to allow FSUs line to dictate the game. Sims was also very elusive and managed to pick up positive yards when the line broke down, but for the most part the Line gave Sims enough time to make an accurate pass.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The improvement in both OL and DL was amazing compared to last yr.Even with 2 starters gone the DL held up.
btw-I think it was Ryans ,DE,that made the vital tackle on 4th down at end --after LB 44 missed Blackmon. completely..

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Thanks Boomer for the spot on analysis. We still have a ways to go but the progress is encouraging. Blackman was rattled, I am certain of that. What I don't know is can we maintain that degree of effort and focus from week to week? That said, the performance by Sims is a testament to a player who has worked to make himself better by going to camps, doing the 7 on 7 drills and being "coachable". Someone posted the recruiting rankings for the past five years on FSU, Tech, and UCF. It was illuminating to say the least. FSU's WORST ranking was last year at number 22. That is better than ours or UCF's BEST ranking. UCF's recruiting was actually worse than ours by a good bit. To me it indicates that FSU is doing what they have done for years now...getting less production out of highly rated classes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This. I wrote in another thread that our OL played MUCH better than we did last year, but we still struggled. It wasn't an ugly struggle like last season where plays just couldn't pop off from the snap, or our QB was hopeless scrambling in the pass game, but we still let too many defenders push us back and get into the backfield. Listen, VERY hard to argue against 1 sack, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

You can tell from the outset that Key and Patenaude were not going to let Sims and our offense drag plays out and give the front 7 time to get into the backfield. This is where having a 4 star QB taking snaps as opposed to a 4 star athlete makes a difference. Quick throws, quick hitting running plays, or runs/throws to the perimeter outside of the tackles. Sims was spectacular on the short and intermediate routes...something that was there last year but our QBs just could not execute. When we had to wait for the plays to develp, Sims did enough with his feet to buy time to put the ball where it needed to go. When he didn't have time, he at up chunks of yards with those long legs and got us moving forward...he was our leading rusher.

I don't want to take anything away from the OL, I'm really just nitpicking. We had 2 new guys playing, one was a true freshmen. Having an SEC level starter who played against Alabama/UGA/Florida/LSU certainly helps because the moment never got too big for him. Jordan Williams...he's gonna be a star like Jeff Sims. First game, against a top 5 DL, on the road...and he played light years better what we had last season. Kudos to those 2 for getting to GT and assimilating with the team to become high level starters for us. Shows you the difference of 2 good players on the OL. For all intents and purposes, this is a brand new starting 5 OL, and they played like veterans their first game together. Kudos to our OL...if that's their first start together, imagine how much better they get 3-5 games down the line. Having Devin Cochran would certainly have helped, but we will look back a season from now and see that Cochran not coming was a blessing in disguise because it essentially gave Williams a chance to take snaps he probably would not have gotten. Williams is getting a head start towards being All-ACC...which looks like that's exactly where his career is headed.

Shout out to Brent Key. Hopefully GT fans are starting to understand what all the fuss was about. The guy can flat out coach...there's a reason why Saban moved coaches around to get him on his staff many years ago. We tend to forget that Key also has a hand in putting together our offensive game plan, and together with Patenaude, I thought they did a great job of protecting a young QB and a young offensive tackle.

Game one against a top defensive front...and we more than held our own towards a win. Feels a lot different from how it was a year ago.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This. I wrote in another thread that our OL played MUCH better than we did last year, but we still struggled. It wasn't an ugly struggle like last season where plays just couldn't pop off from the snap, or our QB was hopeless scrambling in the pass game, but we still let too many defenders push us back and get into the backfield. Listen, VERY hard to argue against 1 sack, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

You can tell from the outset that Key and Patenaude were not going to let Sims and our offense drag plays out and give the front 7 time to get into the backfield. This is where having a 4 star QB taking snaps as opposed to a 4 star athlete makes a difference. Quick throws, quick hitting running plays, or runs/throws to the perimeter outside of the tackles. Sims was spectacular on the short and intermediate routes...something that was there last year but our QBs just could not execute. When we had to wait for the plays to develp, Sims did enough with his feet to buy time to put the ball where it needed to go. When he didn't have time, he at up chunks of yards with those long legs and got us moving forward...he was our leading rusher.

I don't want to take anything away from the OL, I'm really just nitpicking. We had 2 new guys playing, one was a true freshmen. Having an SEC level starter who played against Alabama/UGA/Florida/LSU certainly helps because the moment never got too big for him. Jordan Williams...he's gonna be a star like Jeff Sims. First game, against a top 5 DL, on the road...and he played light years better what we had last season. Kudos to those 2 for getting to GT and assimilating with the team to become high level starters for us. Shows you the difference of 2 good players on the OL. For all intents and purposes, this is a brand new starting 5 OL, and they played like veterans their first game together. Kudos to our OL...if that's their first start together, imagine how much better they get 3-5 games down the line. Having Devin Cochran would certainly have helped, but we will look back a season from now and see that Cochran not coming was a blessing in disguise because it essentially gave Williams a chance to take snaps he probably would not have gotten. Williams is getting a head start towards being All-ACC...which looks like that's exactly where his career is headed.

Shout out to Brent Key. Hopefully GT fans are starting to understand what all the fuss was about. The guy can flat out coach...there's a reason why Saban moved coaches around to get him on his staff many years ago. We tend to forget that Key also has a hand in putting together our offensive game plan, and together with Patenaude, I thought they did a great job of protecting a young QB and a young offensive tackle.

Game one against a top defensive front...and we more than held our own towards a win. Feels a lot different from how it was a year ago.
Ryan Williams was #54 on the outside right? I’m not discrediting the dude but I see everyone saying he played lights out. I rewatched some of the game and it seemed he was getting beat off the edge a lot and Sims often had to move up or away in the pocket. Am I overlooking his play?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Williams was #54 on the outside right? I’m not discrediting the dude but I see everyone saying he played lights out. I rewatched some of the game and it seemed he was getting beat off the edge a lot and Sims often had to move up or away in the pocket. Am I overlooking his play?

Jordan Williams and I saw the same thing watching the replay. We had a good gameplan with short throws and Sims did well to get rid of the ball. Hard to imagine many true frosh OL looking good in their first snaps against that DL though.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Williams and I saw the same thing watching the replay. We had a good gameplan with short throws and Sims did well to get rid of the ball. Hard to imagine many true frosh OL looking good in their first snaps against that DL though.
Very true. I just see everyone’s comments and thought he was stonewalling people. He held his own though and actually let Sims get just enough time do his thing. He will improve as everyone else

the offense is night and day compared to last year. I’m very excited to see what we have this season