The ND "putdown" has already started.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This blogger seems to be saying we don't really deserve any respect.

http://notredamegoirish.blogspot.com/2015/09/my-if-we-see-this-we-beat-gt-saturday.html

My list:

1) ND gave up more than 400 yards of offense against a Virginia team that managed only 336 the week before and averaged only 375 ypg last year. Justin Thomas and the GT offensive line were not on the field in Charlottesville yesterday. I have a feeling they may be better than the UVa offense.

2) Granted, we only played "scrimmages" these first two weeks, but ND's opponents haven't exactly lit up the headlines either. Texas would be winless but for the bumbling fumbling Rice offense. The Longhorns gained only 273 yards against the Owls and would have lost the game but for five Rice turnovers.

3) Maybe DeShone Kizer is the next Cardale Jones, but for the transfer of Everett Golson and the injury to Malik Zaire, he would handling a clipboard instead of snaps.

4) ND has Brian VanGorder on their sideline and CPJ is dangerous when he is inspired to beat you beyond the normal inspiration of simply winning. I quote CPJ here saying why he wanted so badly to play Georgia Southern: "Because I want to beat the hell out of Brian VanGorder."

4) The three * guys on the GT sideline have been playing pretty well when facing the 4 and 5 * guys from Clemson, uga, FSU and Miss State. I doubt the multi-* guys at ND are different.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wow...what a terrible point to wrap his argument around. We will lose because we haven't faced any talented teams? The guy does realize we have a lot of returning players that HAVE played against top tier players, right? Does he realize we made a run against Clemson-UGA-FSU-Miss State to end last season and went 3-1 against them? Those teams weren't too shabby when it came to the 2015 NFL draft.

Oh, Notre Dame just barely made it by one of the worst ACC teams with all of their 4/5 star players...so he may want to pipe it down. Let's see how it plays out on the field, big fella.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This blogger seems to be saying we don't really deserve any respect.

http://notredamegoirish.blogspot.com/2015/09/my-if-we-see-this-we-beat-gt-saturday.html

My list:

1) ND gave up more than 400 yards of offense against a Virginia team that managed only 336 the week before and averaged only 375 ypg last year. Justin Thomas and the GT offensive line were not on the field in Charlottesville yesterday. I have a feeling they may be better than the UVa offense.

2) Granted, we only played "scrimmages" these first two weeks, but ND's opponents haven't exactly lit up the headlines either. Texas would be winless but for the bumbling fumbling Rice offense. The Longhorns gained only 273 yards against the Owls and would have lost the game but for five Rice turnovers.

3) Maybe DeShone Kizer is the next Cardale Jones, but for the transfer of Everett Golson and the injury to Malik Zaire, he would handling a clipboard instead of snaps.

4) ND has Brian VanGorder on their sideline and CPJ is dangerous when he is inspired to beat you beyond the normal inspiration of simply winning. I quote CPJ here saying why he wanted so badly to play Georgia Southern: "Because I want to beat the hell out of Brian VanGorder."

4) The three * guys on the GT sideline have been playing pretty well when facing the 4 and 5 * guys from Clemson, uga, FSU and Miss State. I doubt the multi-* guys at ND are different.

Actually, his is not a bad list. He's right about our competition (scrimmages), but each game was over early, 1st qtr, 1st half.

He says score 39+, turn us over more than twice, etc. These are decent metrics based on last year, but we are better than last year.

UVA held them to 2.75 ppd, and UVA had a top 10 D last year (~1.6 ppd v pwr5 iirc). While we don't know about the new QB for a whole game, I reckon 3 ppd is a reasonable baseline for us.

We'll have to do better. Last year, Navy scored 39, 2 TDs and FG in 5 1st half drives, 3 TDs in 7 2nd half drives: 3.18 ppd.

I reckon we'll be closer to 3.3 ppd, maybe more. The game will test us on both sides, but we should be fine.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I quote CPJ here saying why he wanted so badly to play Georgia Southern: "Because I want to beat the hell out of Brian VanGorder."
This right here really intrigues me about the game. I am excited to see what goes down because of the bad blood there. Makes me nervous a bit as well though because I don't want to see opposing defensive players out to injure JT like at Duke last year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This right here really intrigues me about the game. I am excited to see what goes down because of the bad blood there. Makes me nervous a bit as well though because I don't want to see opposing defensive players out to injure JT like at Duke last year.

The thing that worries me about that is that we had bad blood with duke ladt year and we all know how that turned out...

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
That article is so bad. It's a bunch of click bait, bull****. The posters on here that claim there is a "good point" in this article are a joke. That's not to say we will roll in and win, or that we can't lose. But us Winning or losing has little to do with the completion we've faced thus far.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The fact is ND is not Al or Two but otoh-- they almost got beat by probably the 2nd worst team in the conference and now playing with their 2nd unit QB(like us playing ND with just Byerly) .That has got to concern them--A LOT.A WHOLE LOT.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, his is not a bad list. He's right about our competition (scrimmages), but each game was over early, 1st qtr, 1st half.

He says score 39+, turn us over more than twice, etc. These are decent metrics based on last year, but we are better than last year.

UVA held them to 2.75 ppd, and UVA had a top 10 D last year (~1.6 ppd v pwr5 iirc). While we don't know about the new QB for a whole game, I reckon 3 ppd is a reasonable baseline for us.

We'll have to do better. Last year, Navy scored 39, 2 TDs and FG in 5 1st half drives, 3 TDs in 7 2nd half drives: 3.18 ppd.

I reckon we'll be closer to 3.3 ppd, maybe more. The game will test us on both sides, but we should be fine.

His list is great - its the "facts" that had me rolling my eyes. It's almost like he is pretending that we've never played anybody big before. Winning at uga last year was a lot tougher than this game is. We may not win, but uga has 92k fans who hate us, on average, five times more than the most piss drunk @$$hole irish fan will on saturday.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't think there is bad blood coming from VanGorder. The issue is that VanGorder changed the GSU offense and made some derogatory comments about CPJ's offense. I haven't seen anything that suggests VanGorder cares one way or the other.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
That's one of the funniest "what if" pieces I've read in a while! For everyone of this "writer's" IF THIS HAPPENS most anyone of us on here can find a weakness in it. As was pointed out above in of his IF was for ND to hold Tech to 39 or less ND will win. Well what IF Tech holds ND to 38 points or less while scoring 39 points? Is 38 more than 39? This guy is homer simpson clown at its best. The he goes on to say 5 of 7 of his IFS have to happen for a ND win. Well, moron, IF this happened with ANY of ND opponents ND should win. In other words, IF a frog had wings he wouldn't bust his *** every time his hops! Sheesh!!!!!!!!