Film Room The Mesh and the Midline

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The DT will either slant or come straight though. Look at the third video in the linked post. That is a give read as the DT comes straight through. All other videos show a slant. The difference in success and failure is the ability to ride the mesh to make the DT commitment. The give read is the easiest,the keep read requires a good mesh. I'll see if I can find video to show what I mean.

I will keep in mind that MJ might have been told to keep... either way you need to carry out the complete mesh.
The issue is this he determined that the tackle was going to tackle the B back and so he pulled the ball. The Tackle did not so he was tackled. How again is this not a misread? He should not keep the ball in position for the mesh to fake the dive read, unless it was predetermined, he should keep it there long enough to make the proper read. I think we are just arguing semantics using different terms.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Shoulder facing is a large part of reading. Slants have a shoulder facing the BBack. If the DT comes straight through the shoulders are more towards where the QB will be on a keep.

I could be wrong. How can he make the right read and still get tackled. It happens a lot on the triple on the give. The DE plays a middle ground. This allows him to read the QB. If he does this slow reading, a give will get 3 to 5 yards. But if the QB keeps then the DE get a 1 yard loss. I believe the QB is told to give in these cases.

The DT is not going as fast as expected. The fake mesh/bad mesh/no mesh is clearly visible to the DE. He sees the BBack does not have the ball and goes for the QB. The DT's shoulders scream BBack, but he does not commit. A good mesh would have forced him to commit.

This is not a guess who he is going to take. There are keys to read and good technique to follow.

What keys do you see that says he is going for the QB. I'll give you this... longer mesh force DT contact with the BB to get to the QB (as the BBack is in between the DT and QB.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Shoulder facing is a large part of reading. Slants have a shoulder facing the BBack. If the DT comes straight through the shoulders are more towards where the QB will be on a keep.

I could be wrong. How can he make the right read and still get tackled. It happens a lot on the triple on the give. The DE plays a middle ground. This allows him to read the QB. If he does this slow reading, a give will get 3 to 5 yards. But if the QB keeps then the DE get a 1 yard loss. I believe the QB is told to give in these cases.

The DT is not going as fast as expected. The fake mesh/bad mesh/no mesh is clearly visible to the DE. He sees the BBack does not have the ball and goes for the QB. The DT's shoulders scream BBack, but he does not commit. A good mesh would have forced him to commit.

This is not a guess who he is going to take. There are keys to read and good technique to follow.

What keys do you see that says he is going for the QB. I'll give you this... longer mesh force DT contact with the BB to get to the QB (as the BBack is in between the DT and QB.
I'm not saying he is going for the QB I'm saying he cannot tackle the B Back. The misread happens even before the mesh can take place. He anticipated a crash by the D tackle on the b back did not happen. You say that he would have if he had continued the mesh but the misread happened before that which is why the mesh never really happened. This is an example of where the DT slow plays it. Also not to avoid your question the DT's shoulder appear to be point squarely at the QB and up field. They certainly do not appear to be pointed overly at the B Back. By that reasoning, the reasoning you give for good technique, it should be a give.