Film Room The Mesh and the Midline

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The mesh is so important (the QB positioning the ball into the BBacks arms and deciding to leave or pull). Riding the mesh a little is required to help sell the DT on making a committed decision to either take the BBack or take the QB. Riding the mesh is leaving the ball in the BBack's gut for a step to sell the give.

This is a shell game to some extent. The QB needs to be able to "hide" the ball and make players commit and find they committed wrongly.

This play shows a very good DT that was not tricked (the mesh here was too open and not very long). I believe the issue is the mesh is not convincing enough giving the DT a chance to change targets and guess right.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This play shows a very good DT that was not tricked (the mesh here was too open and not very long). I believe the issue is the mesh is not convincing enough giving the DT a chance to change targets and guess right.
[/MEDIA]

I'm not an offensive expert, or defensive expert either. However, if I understand the responsibilities correctly, MM should have taken on the lineman if he doesn't have the ball.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not an offensive expert, or defensive expert either. However, if I understand the responsibilities correctly, MM should have taken on the lineman if he doesn't have the ball.

No. That's not how it works. The lineman chooses who he's gonna take and we play off of that. If it's a called keep, he will have a block to make. That isn't the case here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What is the qb reading about the DT? He doesn't commit to the Bback so why does MJ pull? If MJ rides the mesh does that force the DT to commit? Does the Bback share part of the blame for a poorly carried out mesh? Is this just a missed read?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The mesh is so important (the QB positioning the ball into the BBacks arms and deciding to leave or pull). Riding the mesh a little is required to help sell the DT on making a committed decision to either take the BBack or take the QB. Riding the mesh is leaving the ball in the BBack's gut for a step to sell the give.

This is a shell game to some extent. The QB needs to be able to "hide" the ball and make players commit and find they committed wrongly.

That was an NFL "play action" fake, wasn't it? Might work to freeze a DT, orLB momentarily but in this case, nah.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
DT did good job of not committing to QB or BB, and watched ball. Initially was going with Marshall, but because Jordan did not ride and pulled ball out to quick the DT showed good foot work and went for QB. Nice play by DT, may have been designed keep but Jordan still should have still stuck with Marshall longer.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
DT did good job of not committing to QB or BB, and watched ball. Initially was going with Marshall, but because Jordan did not ride and pulled ball out to quick the DT showed good foot work and went for QB. Nice play by DT, may have been designed keep but Jordan still should have still stuck with Marshall longer.

Looks like designed keep by the way Searcy cuts to pickup LB.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow

The issue is as a QB on a read play you are not trying to trick a player like a play action pass or a run play where it' s predetermined and you are faking it, pre giving or pitching the ball. You are trying to determine who the defensive player is taking or if he is going to just sit there. Of course we are assuming this was a read, sure looks like it to me. On this play I don't think 60 would have been able to tackle Marshall on the give. Jordan looks like he was anticipating 60 to go strait at the mesh point and take the B Back but didn't. Just a misread.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong but it looks to me the DT had the QB all the way. Didn't look like he was watching the BB.
Very possible, imo. However, nobody takes the OLB (24) so I am not sure we get many yards regardless. I think the Aback leading through the hole is supposed to get him.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Also Tech's OL had it blocked, if the mesh was better, DT goes for Marshall, Searcy cuts LB , Jordan on the lose.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Very possible, imo. However, nobody takes the OLB (24) so I am not sure we get many yards regardless. I think the Aback leading through the hole is supposed to get him.
Searcy would be picking him up in about a half sec if the video continues. Whether he does or not is another issue.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The DT should either slant hard to the BBack or run straight through. This is the read.

You need to sell (sell is a better word than trick) the mesh. This mesh was so easy to see that the QB was keeping that the DT had time to change targets and go for the QB. MJ choose correct by the initial action of the DT. The issue is MJ did not make the DT take the BBack.

There is another play and MJ gives to the BBack, but the DT takes the BBack. Both cases the DT was slanting in and is able to read who is getting the ball.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The DT should either slant hard to the BBack or run straight through. This is the read.

You need to sell (sell is a better word than trick) the mesh. This mesh was so easy to see that the QB was keeping that the DT had time to change targets and go for the QB. MJ choose correct by the initial action of the DT. The issue is MJ did not make the DT take the BBack.

There is another play and MJ gives to the BBack, but the DT takes the BBack. Both cases the DT was slanting in and is able to read who is getting the ball.

Could you make a gif of the play in real time too?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No. That's not how it works. The lineman chooses who he's gonna take and we play off of that. If it's a called keep, he will have a block to make. That isn't the case here.

I do understand that. However, I would think that the BBack's responsibility changes depending on whether he has the ball or not. If he has the ball after the mesh, then run. If he doesn't have the ball, then plug up whoever is in front of him.

doug

Georgia Tech Fan
You can mod the blocking for midline that way if you aren't running midline triple. It looks like a regular midline.
This is the midline "blast" play where the playside AB fold blocks into the B gap and blocks the MLB and the backside AB goes in tail motion and then goes through the B gap to block OLB.