The malice at the palace (famous NBA fight) turns 18 this month. Are there any brawls between players or fans that you've seen at GT sporting events?

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I've only seen two in person. 1. was a little brawl between GT and Duke at the 2018 football game. Just some chippy play that led to some pushing and shoving, was broken up quickly. 2. Also in 2018 was in my section, Miami was in town, and I sit in CL4, which is next to the visiting fan section. Their fans and us talked **** all game, and an old couple of Tech fans nearly fought a guy, but it was broken up. At the end of the day Tech won, and all those Canes were shut up. (Miami fans are the WORST in the ACC imo.)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The one that comes to mine was the one where one of our players was grabbed by the face mask and thrown into the wall against UGA. For some reason I want to say it was Lynch but I could be completely wrong by years even.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
On our way back to the car, saw a couple of fans trading some solid blows after Tech's 41-38 comeback win over UVa in '98.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was a video a few years ago of a GT fan decking a drunk Miami fan who was interrupting the GT band on the steps outside BDS before the game. I did a quick search and couldn't find it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember the exact year but there was a fight between GT and UGA players at or near the end of the game. It happened in the north end zone where Tech players come out of the locker room. A ref almost got caught up among the fight but crawled next to a wall and pulled some sort of gate in front of himself for protection.
Then during that basketball season when UGA came to Alexander, some of our FB players came out of the stands and went after their BB players. Folding chairs were being swung, etc.
I was at the FB game but was listening to the BB game on the radio. Must have been in the 70's or 80's.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
On our way back to the car, saw a couple of fans trading some solid blows after Tech's 41-38 comeback win over UVa in '98.
I sat in the section right next to the visitor's seating in 1998 where a lot of fans from both teams sat together. Throughout the game there were two knuckleheads sitting right in front of me from UVA who were chirping loudly about beating us. But then they crossed the line by saying some pretty disgusting things about O'Leary, the team, and the fans. They nearly came to blows several times with the other GT fans in the section. I was on a no fighting restriction at the time, so I tried to get them to calm down and tone down the vitriol. I congratulated them for their team playing well, but suggested that they be better winners since you never know when the tide will turn and your team is losing. Needless to say, after we came back, they shut up pretty quick, but also took a lot of verbal abuse from the Tech fans as everyone left the stadium. While there were some pushing and shoving, no punches were thrown and no one got kicked out.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I sat in the section right next to the visitor's seating in 1998 where a lot of fans from both teams sat together. Throughout the game there were two knuckleheads sitting right in front of me from UVA who were chirping loudly about beating us. But then they crossed the line by saying some pretty disgusting things about O'Leary, the team, and the fans. They nearly came to blows several times with the other GT fans in the section. I was on a no fighting restriction at the time, so I tried to get them to calm down and tone down the vitriol. I congratulated them for their team playing well, but suggested that they be better winners since you never know when the tide will turn and your team is losing. Needless to say, after we came back, they shut up pretty quick, but also took a lot of verbal abuse from the Tech fans as everyone left the stadium. While there were some pushing and shoving, no punches were thrown and no one got kicked out.
Might have been the ones I saw outside the stadium. As I remember, the fight was between a couple of pretty stout fellows. Just a couple of blows before cooler heads prevailed.
I guess 41-38 brought back some sour memories for the Wahoos.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I've only seen two in person. 1. was a little brawl between GT and Duke at the 2018 football game. Just some chippy play that led to some pushing and shoving, was broken up quickly. 2. Also in 2018 was in my section, Miami was in town, and I sit in CL4, which is next to the visiting fan section. Their fans and us talked **** all game, and an old couple of Tech fans nearly fought a guy, but it was broken up. At the end of the day Tech won, and all those Canes were shut up. (Miami fans are the WORST in the ACC imo.)
My freshman year was Whack Hyder’s last year as head basketball coach (72-73). His son Tommy was on he team, but did not play much. During the ugag game, one of their players went after Tommy. It was right in front of where a bunch of the football players were sitting. It did not take long before the court was full of fights. I watched a ugag coach try to pull one of his players out, and the player turned and punched the coach. It took a long time to get the court clear. Needless to say, the crowd went wild!

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
My freshman year was Whack Hyder’s last year as head basketball coach (72-73). His son Tommy was on he team, but did not play much. During the ugag game, one of their players went after Tommy. It was right in front of where a bunch of the football players were sitting. It did not take long before the court was full of fights. I watched a ugag coach try to pull one of his players out, and the player turned and punched the coach. It took a long time to get the court clear. Needless to say, the crowd went wild!
oh that sounds EPIC. (hope everyone was okay and not seriously hurt)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
'94 Tech/UGa. It was ugly.

I was also at the Clemson/USC game I think the same weekend as the Pistons event. I think it was Lou Holtz's last game. Gotta love this picture if you're a Clemson fan (which my wife is). :oops:

1667410062375.png

BonesGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I recall a brawl in the '93 GT/UGA game after UGA scored a late TD.

Also, I remember in the '97 GT/UGA game, we scored late to take the lead, and UGA game down the field in the last minute (aided by a questionable PI penalty) and scored in the last 8 seconds to beat us in Atlanta. I saw several fights breakout between fans on the way back to the car.