The Late Kick showing GT some love...again.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If you are going to tell it tell it correctly.....Coach Paul Johnson was not hamstrung by any DC... Coach Johnson wanted to hire Ellis Johnson as his first defensive coordinator in 2008. Ellis Johnson had just finished a stint as Mississippi State’s defensive coordinator from 2004-07. Coach Paul Johnson implied that there wasn’t enough money to pay for Ellis, who instead went to South Carolina. So he Hired Dave Wommack.....(His Hire)....Why Did Womack leave Georgia Tech...During 2009, Coach Paul Johnson said that defensive players were coming to him asking for help with Wommack. He never elaborated on what kind of help they were asking for. Coach Johnson said he approached Wommack about shifting from defensive coordinator to coaching "slots," Coach Wommack declined. Coach Paul Johnson then hired Al Groh (His Hire)....In 2012 before Clemson Al Groh was relieved of his duties by Coach Johnson and Charles Kelly was named Interim DC. Coach Paul Johnson said Coach Kelly would have become Tech's defensive coordinator, but Kelly accepted a position at Florida State. So Ted Roff was hired (by or with booster support) he was blamed for the 2017 season... and than CPJ hired Nate Woody and then laid in egg in 2018 before he retired.

Also note that Jeff Monken left Georgia Tech after the 2009 Season and Brian Bohannan left after the 2012 season.... By 2010 Georgia Tech Football recruiting was Dumpster Fire despite winning the ACC in 2009... I'm sure Being blown out in the Peach Bowl in (08) and the OB in (09) didn't help. So when Coach Ted Roof arrived in 2013 he actually helped improve recruiting.

I have no clue about Coach Cook... or Coach West, but I am sure Coach Johnson made those hires...In fact I am not so sure Coach Cook was forced on Coach Johnson... How many QB/BB Coaches are there? Also I disaggre with you on the "The big difference so far between Collins and Johnson is Collins has been given everything he can be given to succeed.
Coach Johnson was given everything he needed to succeed.....He hired his DC.... He had Monken, Bohanan and Kelly all leave to go elsewhere...He replaced them..

The biggest difference is that Coach Collins is building a brand, enjoys recruiting... Coach Johnson was an old school great game day Coach.....

Yes AD Stansbury is supporting Coach Collins during the transistion or rebuild... But to say Coach Johnson was not supported is total BS.. Hell they built the 4.5M dollar Locker room in 2017 before the 2018 season.... CPJ was supported....should he have recruited harder, or had more folks recruiting?? Maybe.. But who is the HC??? That falls on him.

Cook wasn't forced on johnson cook was what johnson could hire when the money wasn't there. Groh was his hire but it was because on paper it should have been a good one Groh had won a damn superbowl and was an x's and os genius and more importantly we could get him on the cheap as UVA was paying a buyout. Also Johnson was only truly supported by the AD in 2017 onward. The Locker room was something he fought for even reaching out directly to boosters. He fought to get 4 recruiting focused staff added and a couple QC coaches which weren't added until 2016-2017. He was on record as early as 2011 warning about falling behind in an arms race.

He was definitely hamstrung in who he could hire as a DC. Not to mention from day one we had a subset of our alumni base that didn't like that johnson was running a different offense than what they saw curry lose with in the 80s.

Monken left to be a head coach. Hard to fault that. Bohannon same thing. Kelly is the only one that was kinda a bad thing. But that is when we got roof so read that as you want (the players wanted kelly for obvious reasons and I'm betting Johnson was willing to give him a chance.) Johnson always favored odd front defenses when he talked about them.

Johnson can't hire people that he isn't given the budget to hire. HC or not that's on the AD.

Truthfully we are an injury away from potentially a repeated ACC appearance in 2010 (recruiting may or may not fall off as much after that.) But that doesn't matter. Collins has a brand manager position. Which he has to fill again since morpheus is off to more money. Could you imagine what would have happened if johnson had asked for that budget?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Cook wasn't forced on johnson cook was what johnson could hire when the money wasn't there. Groh was his hire but it was because on paper it should have been a good one Groh had won a damn superbowl and was an x's and os genius and more importantly we could get him on the cheap as UVA was paying a buyout. Also Johnson was only truly supported by the AD in 2017 onward. The Locker room was something he fought for even reaching out directly to boosters. He fought to get 4 recruiting focused staff added and a couple QC coaches which weren't added until 2016-2017. He was on record as early as 2011 warning about falling behind in an arms race.

He was definitely hamstrung in who he could hire as a DC. Not to mention from day one we had a subset of our alumni base that didn't like that johnson was running a different offense than what they saw curry lose with in the 80s.

Monken left to be a head coach. Hard to fault that. Bohannon same thing. Kelly is the only one that was kinda a bad thing. But that is when we got roof so read that as you want (the players wanted kelly for obvious reasons and I'm betting Johnson was willing to give him a chance.) Johnson always favored odd front defenses when he talked about them.

Johnson can't hire people that he isn't given the budget to hire. HC or not that's on the AD.

Truthfully we are an injury away from potentially a repeated ACC appearance in 2010 (recruiting may or may not fall off as much after that.) But that doesn't matter. Collins has a brand manager position. Which he has to fill again since morpheus is off to more money. Could you imagine what would have happened if johnson had asked for that budget?
So really what you are saying is that AD Dan Radovich was cash strapped when he hired Coach Paul Johnson.... and the hire was really never 100% endorsed by 100% of the alumni base.... That does sound about right as I remember folks in the GTAA saying lets see what he does with his recruits as he seemed to do decent with Chan Gailey's players until Bowl season where he would get his *** handed to him. I mean he didn't win a Bowl game until 2012... He wins in ACCCG in 2009 with Chans players...by 2012 he losses an ACCCG with his players.... and again he loses a ACCCG in 2014 with his players... He does pick up an OB (NON CFP BOWL that year)win in 2014....and he wins a rebranded Gator Bowl in 2016.... But besides that Coach Paul Johnson recruiting and seasons are often stale and left fans wanting something different......

BTW....I have never heard of another name besides Bryan Cook.... again who was in line besides cook to be the BB/QB coach... I think it is more of a Supply/Demand than money issue..In Fact in 2014 I heard CPJ speak very Highly of Coach Cook and QB Justin Thomas....

So really Coach Johnson should have never taken the job if the Alumni wasn't going to allow him to hire Coach Ellis Johnson.... That to is on Coach Johnson.... I mean look at Coach Collins before he took the job he told GT AD TSTAN what he needed to take the job, and No one else was waiting in line to help GT Football rebuild from the CPJ Option era....I appreciate the 2008, 09, 14, 16 seasons that CPJ brought to the flats......I could do without the 10,11,12,13,15,17,18 seasons... but IIWII... Go Jackets!

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So really what you are saying is that AD Dan Radovich was cash strapped when he hired Coach Paul Johnson.... and the hire was really never 100% endorsed by 100% of the alumni base.... That does sound about right as I remember folks in the GTAA saying lets see what he does with his recruits as he seemed to do decent with Chan Gailey's players until Bowl season where he would get his *** handed to him. I mean he didn't win a Bowl game until 2012... He wins in ACCCG in 2009 with Chans players...by 2012 he losses an ACCCG with his players.... and again he loses a ACCCG in 2014 with his players... He does pick up an OB (NON CFP BOWL that year)win in 2014....and he wins a rebranded Gator Bowl in 2016.... But besides that Coach Paul Johnson recruiting and seasons are often stale and left fans wanting something different......

BTW....I have never heard of another name besides Bryan Cook.... again who was in line besides cook to be the BB/QB coach... I think it is more of a Supply/Demand than money issue..In Fact in 2014 I heard CPJ speak very Highly of Coach Cook and QB Justin Thomas....

So really Coach Johnson should have never taken the job if the Alumni wasn't going to allow him to hire Coach Ellis Johnson.... That to is on Coach Johnson.... I mean look at Coach Collins before he took the job he told GT AD TSTAN what he needed to take the job, and No one else was waiting in line to help GT Football rebuild from the CPJ Option era....I appreciate the 2008, 09, 14, 16 seasons that CPJ brought to the flats......I could do without the 10,11,12,13,15,17,18 seasons... but IIWII... Go Jackets!

Johnson was looking at hiring an actual Spread guy after bohannon left to take advantage of Vad. He wasn't given any money to do so. So he foudn the guy out at cal poly who had created a version of the option out of what he called the ski-gun. Which was a pistol flex scheme and thought maybe we can incorporate some of that. It was more of a needing a QB coach. B-backs and Rbs would have been the same thing. When 2013 was 2013 and vad transfered johnson had JT, do you really want to run anything else with JT? But rumor was Johnson was truly thinking about an actual OC in 2012 especially with the rule changes that were on the horizon. Of the seasons you listed. Only 10, 15 and 17 were truly bad 11 13 and 18 were mediocre but still winning seasons 12 's a wierd one had the potential for a 7-6 year but we had to play the ACC at 6-6 so we end up 7-7 firing A DC mid year) But i mean the galaise was 7 wins so yeah it is what it is.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I keep thinking the same thing could be true about CGC, if he really does turn into a similar success story to Dabo here.

[**** THIS IS ENTIRELY PREMATURE AND JUST MESSAGE BOARD SPECULATION SO DON'T @me ABOUT HOW THAT IS A DIFFERENT SCENARIO AND YABBA DABBO DO... I KNOW AND I AM NOT MAKING A CASE YET THAT HE IS. JUST SAYING IF HE GROWS INTO THAT FOR US. ****]

If we get there, I would think it will be on the back of a good few years before excellent. So - I would hope we will be in a position and inclined to make it worth his and his assistants' time to $tick around. 💰💰💰💰

That is the best news about Clemson having done what they have - it shows us the blueprint, now we gotta just hope that we found the diamond in the rough they did.
I think it hinges more on the AD then anything else. Clemson really invested in the program and that's as much reason for all their success (There's a correlation between when Drad left here and went to Clemson, and the trajectory of each program). I think we have a pretty good one now which is what has me hopeful.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

This post is comical.