The JUSTIN THOMAS era has started

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I wanted to see Justin more this year, I'm not sure why he only got one meaningful series in the bowl game, that was frustrating to me. Im excited, I still wish we would spread our offense out and work out of a pistol set but I would love to see us run it all over good teams again, and if thats out of the flex with JT then it's fine by me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest with you guys, I really don't care what we run. I just want us to be successful. Any offense, if successful, is a beautiful thing. If JT can run the spread option with the T-O as his base play and move the ball, I will be excited. If we mix it up and do many different things successfully, I'll be excited. What I won't be excited about is a failure to move the ball and a lack of progression. I'm cautiously optimistic about next year.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Did Thomas play the option in High School? If so, then he should have some aptitude for it. He is supposedly quick and fast. We will soon know if he fits the position. The few times I saw him this year, he appeared to be quicker on his decisions. Time will tell.

IIRC, Thomas played a spread offense in high school

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn't quite a dumpster fire yet, but the molotov cocktail has been lit and thrown into the dumpster. It depends on how quickly CPJ can get the fire extinguisher to put it out as to how bad this will be.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm going to temper my expectations of Justin just mainly because I haven't seen enough to make a determination.

"Show me, don't tell me." :cool:

The runs I saw him make showed me he has the physical tools to make plays in our run game. The uncertainties are substantial...decision making (reads) and passing. I think TB knows the offense better but lacks the physical tools....a la Jaybo. Paint me cautiously optimistic.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Outside of his big run against Elon and one against Syracuse, I honestly didn't see anything from JT that makes me think he'll be much better than Vad. He saw extensive playing time against BYU and Miami, and he pretty much performed at the same level Vad was before CPJ took Vad out of the game.

Maybe with more reps that Vad took away in practice and in games JT will be better. I certainly hope so, because GT's 2014 season depends on it because we will have a walk-on (Byerly) and true freshmen behind him.

stpetewreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Personally, I am most excited about.....an identity again. All this season I felt like we struggled with any sort of an identity.

I can't imagine being CPJ, and having to stomach what felt like the truth to me: I just recruited a QB with some very good God-given talents that can open up the playbook....but wait, he's not making base reads well at all in year 3, and we can't really block well enough to fit his talents.

This whole season felt like we had little identity. Are we going to run base flexbone, and many tripple option plays? Are we going to run Pistol formation with a few double option plays? Are we going to run a tight flexbone formation and try to chuck the ball more?

I AM biased (no qualms with stating that)..but I certainly miss seeing a high number of base tripple option plays, throughout the season, from the flexbone that are blocked so well that you see that alley open up before an AB gets there and you know it's going to be a big play (See Anthony Allen catching the pitch down the sideline vs. Clemson ala 2009).

I could be totally wrong because we all have a small sample size, but with Justin...I can't see how we don't play to what I imagine his strengths being...running option plays. Not just dive, dive, toss, throw. I just want us to do what we're going to do and get better at it. Not have another season where it seems like we're trying to figure out what's best for our team to handle/run.

Having said all that. It's all about putting more points on the board than your opponent. And short of BYU, we were in every game this season even without what I'd describe as 'a team identity'.

Go jackets!
Best of luck, Vad! Seriously, thanks for some of the prettiest spirals I've seen on the flats and all the heart/emotion you've shown.
Time to step up, Justin! You didn't come here to be a backup, show us why you feel that way.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The key is "This Board", this is an embarrassing reflection on the program.

I promise that you are right about me spinning this thread. I did take a positive spin. I have already been dealing with this possibility for awhile and pouted for awhile lol. I am ready to move on and look at the potential.

However, I am trying to be an optimist about this coming year. I think we have a real decent shot improving on offense (no spin) with JT at the helm. I thought this more and more as the season went on. I wasn't impressed with Vad against UGA that much either. I thought the defense left that option available and he did a solid job with that opportunity. That performance didn't change my opinion that much other than that CPJ needed to adjust his offense or switch to JT. I dont think we have the OL to pass block consistently or the WR's to adjust the offense dramatically.

The recruits,media, and fans can think what they want until he plays because it really doesn't matter. Our image isn't going to change that much in one off season. Once the season starts and we will see if we got an upgrade for our offense. If we did then it will positively impact our image way more than whatever talks go on during the break and spring ball.

I was convinced Vad was the guy and I was wrong. Eric picked JT from the beginning and the more and more I watched the less sure I was of my choice. Eric's choice looks to have way more potential as of now. I realized that after the BYU game. We will see... but I knew there was fire when Jamal Golden (one of Vad's best friends) said that JT should be starting.

I think the one negative we all agree on is that CPJ has not done a good job managing the QB position since Nesbitt.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
We'll see. He's another guy whose personality I can get behind.
I worry about his arm but am excited about his running ability. He attacks his read man on option plays, which is exactly what you want.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I promise that you are right about me spinning this thread. I did take a positive spin. I have already been dealing with this possibility for awhile and pouted for awhile lol. I am ready to move on and look at the potential.

However, I am trying to be an optimist about this coming year. I think we have a real decent shot improving on offense (no spin) with JT at the helm. I thought this more and more as the season went on. I wasn't impressed with Vad against UGA that much either. I thought the defense left that option available and he did a solid job with that opportunity. That performance didn't change my opinion that much other than that CPJ needed to adjust his offense or switch to JT. I dont think we have the OL to pass block consistently or the WR's to adjust the offense dramatically.

The recruits,media, and fans can think what they want until he plays because it really doesn't matter. Our image isn't going to change that much in one off season. Once the season starts and we will see if we got an upgrade for our offense. If we did then it will positively impact our image way more than whatever talks go on during the break and spring ball.

I was convinced Vad was the guy and I was wrong. Eric picked JT from the beginning and the more and more I watched the less sure I was of my choice. Eric's choice looks to have way more potential as of now. I realized that after the BYU game. We will see... but I knew there was fire when Jamal Golden (one of Vad's best friends) said that JT should be starting.

I think the one negative we all agree on is that CPJ has not done a good job managing the QB position since Nesbitt.

Honest question, and not picking on anyone who's in the "JT is better suited for this offense" camp: If JT is better suited for this offense, then why did JT not play more this season? It certainly would have solved the whole Vad's not making the right reads, and Vad just isn't suited for this offense quandaries.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
When CPJ was asked why JT played that third series during the MCB, he said it was because he told JT that he was going to play the next series and at this point the ball was at Ole Miss's 2 yard line and he had no idea that we would get the ball at our 2. Also said he had no problem putting him in there.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We'll see. He's another guy whose personality I can get behind.
I worry about his arm but am excited about his running ability. He attacks his read man on option plays, which is exactly what you want.
I worry about his arm some but more about him making poor decisions in the air. Vad struggled with this as well though...

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Johnson said many times this year he didnt think Justin's arm was any less than Lee's on the call in show. He learns to not put the ball on the ground as much, we will be much better. That run in the Elon game was on a bad leg remember? The guy can fly!

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Honest question, and not picking on anyone who's in the "JT is better suited for this offense" camp: If JT is better suited for this offense, then why did JT not play more this season? It certainly would have solved the whole Vad's not making the right reads, and Vad just isn't suited for this offense quandaries.
I have heard from a GA that JT wasn't there yet but the competition was always close. CPJ was always willing to let JT take control of the game like Vad did against UNC last year. However, I think CPJ did a piss poor job of managing those types of decisions. JT should have played way more IMO. I never thought JT got a good shot like Vad did last year.

The QB competition was way closer this year with JT/Vad than it was last year between Vad/Tevin. So why the heck wouldn't you give JT the same opportunities that Vad got last year? Vad was put in better situations last year. I am still stumped honestly..Maybe Eric has some more clear information.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FYI: the locker room will be more united this year.

I expect Bostic or Zenon to leave or both too by the way.

The guys remaining will be united and thats what matters.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We have all seen it this year. CPJ was stuck between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, he had recruited a guy at QB that EVERYBODY was excited about--a guy with real talent and athleticism, a guy that he simply could not put at the end of the bench. On the other hand, it became painfully obvious that this guy, though talented, was not a good fit for CPJ's offense. That, my friends, is a serious predicament. He had to give Vad a chance to take the reins.

Two things are now clear (or at least, more clear) to me:
1. CPJ tried tweaking his offense to suit Vad more. Some shotgun, some pistol, less option reads, but he could not and would not change his offense. And I don't blame him. His offense works. What most people seem to not understand is that "changing the offense" is not such a simple fix. You have 11 guys who have been recruited for and trained for one style of play. You can't just throw it out the window and start over because one guy doesn't fit. In the end, it was up to Vad to adapt. Learn the reads, play fast and smart, run the option (at least occasionally). Vad either did not or could not adapt. This is no knock on Vad--we all love him and know he worked hard. But in the end, he simply did not fit.

2. Now I am thinking that this is why we saw a different, more tentative CPJ this year. It's 2nd and 8 and you have been watching their defense and you know the triple option right with twins is going to work...but you can't call it. What do you do....well, you call the rocket toss again, and hope for the best. :) All year long, he looked "off his game" in play calling, and perhaps Vad was the reason why. (well that, and horrible blocking)

So...Vad decides to transfer, and voila--problem solved. Lets stick JT or Byerly or Jordan in there and get back to what we do best. Let's run hard and fast and kick some tail.

I am not saying all our problems are solved and we are going to win the Championship next year. I am simply saying that this is a positive thing for all parties involved and a necessary change for the better. We have talent at the QB position. Let's move on.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I wish Vad the best, but this is better than going through the motions. I'm happy he did it early so we can invest fully into our other QBs. I hope he finds success against everyone but GT.
I hope JT and Tim see this for what it is and come ready in the spring. I can't wait to see the competition. We give up Vad's size and arm strength, but gain a lot in quickness, and a little speed in JT. Byerly needs to get bigger, but I like his toughness and he is a quick player too. He impressed me last spring.
Unlike some here, I think we need to get back to the option, and by that I mean the triple and midline. Other than when Tevin came in for an injured Nesbitt, we run less veer and midline than at any point in PJs tenure. Our OL isn't consistent enough to pass pro 25 times a game. We need our numbers advantage. We need to take the Nkimdiches and Beasleys out of the game. We also need to slow down the Aaron Donalds in the middle.
Like I said, spring should be fun to watch. A lot is at stake for PJ's 2014 campaign.