The JT myths

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No strong feelings over either, but I'll say that having Byerly in there doesn't limit your explosion plays that much. While Byerly himself isn't explosive, if he's making the correct reads and making himself a threat to the defense, the holes will open up elsewhere. Let Andrews, Autry, Laskey, etc, etc deliver explosive plays. If Byerly distributes the ball well and provides a bit of a threat himself, then we'll have big plays. I recall 3 and shorts with Nesbitt and the defense would bite so hard on him because he's such a bull that it would open up running lanes everywhere else and we'd get an explosive play. Also if any QB can sling the ball better, then we have a whole new explosive element that has little to do with foot speed and wiggle.

I didn't really notice Byerly that much until I went to the scrimmage the week prior to the T Game. Byerly kept the ball on an option, ran for about 7 yards or so, and PJ Davis (one of my favorite players and someone who can deliver a hit) came up to tackle him and the impact was significant. You could hear it in the stands, not only the impact but the nice sounding grunt/gasp when someone gets snot bubbled. When the smoke clears, Byerly pops up and jogs to the huddle while PJ looks a little worse for wear. You can't overestimate the importance of having players out there running the option that deliver hits better than they take them. Runners like Laskey (hopefully Custis) and Byerly can punish defenders and in option football that is a good psychological element. Anything to keep defenders on their heels or hesitate is a plus. You can also achieve that result with speed as well, but there is lots of speed in our league.

Like I said, no strong feelings over either. I trust CPJ to put the right person out there, all things honest and equal. Either one out there is fine with me and will mean good things with the caveat that if Byerly gets the nod, you have to find a way to get Thomas on the field.
Agree with all of this, although I don't think we can afford to move JT from QB even if he is a backup. That is unless Griffin or Jordan start tearing it up.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It seemed to me that we ran some new QB keepers in the Tday game. Some of this may have been conditions and keeping it simple for the younger guys. However, I think we've got new blocking schemes to open lanes for the QB. We might use TB more to keep JT fresh.

Too early prediction: Ty will move to Aback in the fall. He is a great with the ball in his hands. MJ will do good enough in the Fall to move to 3rd string.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It seemed to me that we ran some new QB keepers in the Tday game. Some of this may have been conditions and keeping it simple for the younger guys. However, I think we've got new blocking schemes to open lanes for the QB. We might use TB more to keep JT fresh.

Too early prediction: Ty will move to Aback in the fall. He is a great with the ball in his hands. MJ will do good enough in the Fall to move to 3rd string.

Ty will stay QB this year. We have no QB3 unless CPJ decides not to redshirt MJ. No way CPJ pulls his redshirt especially at the QB spot.

IF Jaylen signs, and MJ develops the way we envision, I can see Ty moving next year. Ty is one injury from JT or TB away from being QB2. I wouldn't totally write off Ty at QB, he showed during the spring he can do things at QB with the ball in his hands, and he is our second fastest guy at QB. Everyone wrote off Tevin at QB (and I hear some coaches did as well), but he ended starting for 2.5 years. Never know who doesn't develop, who moves to another position, and who transfers out.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't tell you how much I think of Griffin as an athlete. Could we use him at AB? Absolutely. If he can catch a ball, there is nothing to keep him from being really really good. However, I would not move him if I were coach, at least not for the next year, unless he asked for it. That kid just has the look of a guy who needs to have the ball in his hands every play. We need to see this through at QB. Small sample size, I know, but you can't fake speed, agility, and athleticism. Once you see a guy smash a 460 foot homerun to center, you don't need to see any more to determine if he has power. It is all the other stuff that needs to be figured out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why can't a guy be able to play two positions? Take some reps at each spot in practice. Face it, Ty's not going to get the lion's share of practice reps at qb, anyway.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why can't a guy be able to play two positions? Take some reps at each spot in practice. Face it, Ty's not going to get the lion's share of practice reps at qb, anyway.

Back when men were men (and sheep were scared), you put 11 on the field and they played the whole game. Then there were limited substitutions for a few years.

Today I think it is possible to play two positions, but its usually O and ST or D and ST. Very few have the stamina to play every down and still be more productive than their backups. But I see no reason at all for players not to be able to play situational on O and situational on D. In fact, makes a lot of sense to get the best players out there for the situation.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Back when men were men (and sheep were scared), you put 11 on the field and they played the whole game. Then there were limited substitutions for a few years.

Today I think it is possible to play two positions, but its usually O and ST or D and ST. Very few have the stamina to play every down and still be more productive than their backups. But I see no reason at all for players not to be able to play situational on O and situational on D. In fact, makes a lot of sense to get the best players out there for the situation.
That's not what I mean. I mean play two different offensive positions, not at the same time, obviously. Is there just too much to learn? (Aback and QB)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't have a problem with it so long as it is not taking away from his development at QB. However, I am not so sure that is possible. Watching other guys take QB reps has its value too. I don't think AB is THAT easy to learn that you can part time it and get better than the full timers either. I guess it depends on the kid.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ty will stay QB this year. We have no QB3 unless CPJ decides not to redshirt MJ. No way CPJ pulls his redshirt especially at the QB spot.

IF Jaylen signs, and MJ develops the way we envision, I can see Ty moving next year. Ty is one injury from JT or TB away from being QB2. I wouldn't totally write off Ty at QB, he showed during the spring he can do things at QB with the ball in his hands, and he is our second fastest guy at QB. Everyone wrote off Tevin at QB (and I hear some coaches did as well), but he ended starting for 2.5 years. Never know who doesn't develop, who moves to another position, and who transfers out.

I'm not sure your first paragraph makes any sense. In 2011, Vad was our number 3 QB as a true freshman, behind Tevin and Synjyn, without burning his redshirt. In 2012, Vad and Synjyn competed for #2 and #3 during the Fall, and Synjyn transitioned to A-Back after the first few games.

Now, it may not happen, but it's not like it can't happen, and the reason you give for it not happening is demonstrably invalid.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MJ could be QB 3 and still redshirt. He can redshirt as long as MJ does not play, given that the 1 and 2 QB stay healthy. This is not likely to happen.

2012 we had Tevin, Vad, Synjyn (QB/AB), and Redshirt JT. I think this worked as Synjyn already had 2 years of practice at QB.

The last thing we want is to be like Maryland and run out of practiced QBs.

TY will not transition to AB until MJ gets at least one year under his belt and could reasonably step into the QB role. This would match Synjyn's conversion time frame.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure your first paragraph makes any sense. In 2011, Vad was our number 3 QB as a true freshman, behind Tevin and Synjyn, without burning his redshirt. In 2012, Vad and Synjyn competed for #2 and #3 during the Fall, and Synjyn transitioned to A-Back after the first few games.

Now, it may not happen, but it's not like it can't happen, and the reason you give for it not happening is demonstrably invalid.

From what I saw in the spring game I believe Jordan will red shirt because (if JT or TB gets hurt) TG is a serviceable back up and Swilling is a serviceable number 3.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From what I saw in the spring game I believe Jordan will red shirt because (if JT or TB gets hurt) TG is a serviceable back up and Swilling is a serviceable number 3.

I agree that Jordan will red-shirt. I was just guessing that Ty might show himself too hard to keep off the field. He's one of the most dynamic runners we have with the ball in his hands, imo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Nice revisionist history there. I like how you always omit some key facts when you try to rebut someone.

Was Vad #3 in 2011? Yup...but that was because we only had 3 QBs. Technically he was QB3, but unless Tevin got hurt in the first half of the schedule, there was no way Vad was playing to burn that redshirt.

If JT or Byerly get hurt (heaven forbid), Ty is true #3 that can step on the field with reservations of burning a redshirt, unlike if you had to play MJ who CPJ will protect from losing a redshirt should #1 + #2 get hurt.

The QB3 circumstances of 2011 is far different from the circumstance of QB3 in 2014. The only thing invalid about my reasons are misleading premise you try to frame it in. Being QB3 when there are only 3 QBs available is much different than being QB3 when you have 4 scholly QBs and one of them is a true freshmen we're trying to save for development. People who understand football know that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MJ could be QB 3 and still redshirt. He can redshirt as long as MJ does not play, given that the 1 and 2 QB stay healthy. This is not likely to happen.

2012 we had Tevin, Vad, Synjyn (QB/AB), and Redshirt JT. I think this worked as Synjyn already had 2 years of practice at QB.

The last thing we want is to be like Maryland and run out of practiced QBs.

TY will not transition to AB until MJ gets at least one year under his belt and could reasonably step into the QB role. This would match Synjyn's conversion time frame.

Yup...it's different when you have 3 QBs who are actually "in play" without risk of losing a redshirt year for a guy versus only having 3 QBs and prying to the injury gods that 1 and 2 don't get hurt so you don't have to burn a redshirt for #3.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nice revisionist history there. I like how you always omit some key facts when you try to rebut someone.

Was Vad #3 in 2011? Yup...but that was because we only had 3 QBs. Technically he was QB3, but unless Tevin got hurt in the first half of the schedule, there was no way Vad was playing to burn that redshirt.

If JT or Byerly get hurt (heaven forbid), Ty is true #3 that can step on the field with reservations of burning a redshirt, unlike if you had to play MJ who CPJ will protect from losing a redshirt should #1 + #2 get hurt.

The QB3 circumstances of 2011 is far different from the circumstance of QB3 in 2014. The only thing invalid about my reasons are misleading premise you try to frame it in. Being QB3 when there are only 3 QBs available is much different than being QB3 when you have 4 scholly QBs and one of them is a true freshmen we're trying to save for development. People who understand football know that.

Sims had actually played as a backup QB in 2010 but was moved to Bback for 2011. Again, the notion that CPJ won't move a #3 QB to get him on the field leaving a true freshman as #3 during his RS year does not agree with historical facts.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims had actually played as a backup QB in 2010 but was moved to Bback for 2011. Again, the notion that CPJ won't move a #3 QB to get him on the field leaving a true freshman as #3 during his RS year does not agree with historical facts.

Sims also redshirted to develop at QB. AFTER it appeared that Sims didn't have a future at QB is when he was moved. TOTALLY different scenario then what you're trying to say with MJ redshirting this year.

Don't twist historical facts just because you're trying to make an invalid point.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sims also redshirted to develop at QB. AFTER it appeared that Sims didn't have a future at QB is when he was moved. TOTALLY different scenario then what you're trying to say with MJ redshirting this year.

Don't twist historical facts just because you're trying to make an invalid point.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::notworthy:

Squints

Helluva Engineer

I don't think the point is entirely invalid. If CPJ thinks Ty Griffin could be a gamebreaker at A-back this year I don't think him being QB3 would hinder a switch. Having a true freshman as third string hoping for redshirt isn't unprecedented for us and we survived when it happened. You also didn't mention that MJ is a spring practice ahead of where Vad was.

I mean it's not likely by any stretch but you did say there's no way it would happen. I don't know about that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I'm starting to see a pattern with you. When people refute your "facts" with actual facts, and you have no intelligent response, you reply with emoticons or "SMH".

Let this be an example posters, when @AE 87 responds to your posts with the above, feel good that your OP was a good one.