The Illegal Block on Alcorn State Defense

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So, I thought that maybe I wasn't alone in finding this call unusual. Snoddy had a long run, and there was a flag on the play which ended up being an illegal block below the waist against Alcorn State's defense. Poor Ricky Jeaune, watch (keep your eyes on Ricky at the bottom of the screen):

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you! I don't know about anybody else but I had never heard of that, let alone see what caused the call when it happened. I had played football through high school, now work as a manager for a college and had no idea this was even a thing. I guess this goes to show you how much you don't know until you see it.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Makes sense to have such a call. Like holding up receiver with a wrap around will get a call. I too have not seen it before but doubt that it is tried very often. Glad to see what actually happened because it was not clear in watching the game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thank you! I don't know about anybody else but I had never heard of that, let alone see what caused the call when it happened. I had played football through high school, now work as a manager for a college and had no idea this was even a thing. I guess this goes to show you how much you don't know until you see it.
Yes, thanks for the video, because the yahoos at Fox Sports South liked the sound of their voice to much to worry about such things. I have seen this done before, but never downfield, always along the line of scrimmage to break up a blocking wedge. It is a move that I still find very puzzling. He took himself out and did the blocker's job, or did he fear a deep pass and got not so creatively aggressive?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
He seems to be watching Snoddy instead of our WR. The cut may have been a result of him falling. It could have been a cheap shot, I honestly can't tell.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes, thanks for the video, because the yahoos at Fox Sports South liked the sound of their voice to much to worry about such things. I have seen this done before, but never downfield, always along the line of scrimmage to break up a blocking wedge. It is a move that I still find very puzzling. He took himself out and did the blocker's job, or did he fear a deep pass and got not so creatively aggressive?
He's actually the one who made the tackle, if he didn't it might have been a TD. He probably did it because he was sick and tired of being owned by Rickys blocking.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
So, I thought that maybe I wasn't alone in finding this call unusual. Snoddy had a long run, and there was a flag on the play which ended up being an illegal block below the waist against Alcorn State's defense. Poor Ricky Jeaune, watch (keep your eyes on Ricky at the bottom of the screen):

Creepy voice.