The ideal option QB?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt had terrific speed through contact and dominated between the tackles.

He would put his foot in the ground, and explode north-south shedding guys along the way but still seeming to pick up speed. He'd also do that thing at the end of the run where he'd turn around and squat and push for extra yards while protecting the ball. Totally demoralizing to have to defend against him and he was money converting short yardage to continue the death march. It's very high percentage if you don't even have to have a han doff....dude almost never fumbled.

Another interesting aspect of Nesbitt's game was his option pitches. Most guys sort of float it out there but Nesbitt's pitch was line drive with authority. A backs never seemed to have trouble handling it though.

I can never think of Joshua without remembering how he stripped that FSU linebacker of the ball after a fumble. That was a key point in that game as our D couldn't stop them.

I don't know if he was the best option QB or whatever (I think they can come in all shapes and sizes) but the dude was a FREAK, and I wouldn't have wanted to play against him.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty much spot on but for my money, making the right reads should be first and foremost especially with a threat like Marcus Marshall at B back. Reasonable people may differ but limiting turnovers by making the correct read is paramount in this system. Of course, if the line is not making blocks it does not matter. Thomas is the best pure option quarterback in Tech history. I would put him up there with the quarterback from Oklahoma who was tremendous. Forget his name, was it Holloway? From the 70s I believe. Justin pretty much covers all the bases on what you want in an option quarterback. Too bad we can't clone him but there might be another good one in the pipeline.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So, maybe not the right spot, but I'm really, really, really excited about Lucas Johnson. He's got experience in the offense, is plenty athletic and is the best passer Johnson has ever recruited. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, but I think he could be a transformative player in this offense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pat White comes close. JT comes close. Give either of those guys Nesbitt's toughness and you would have pretty close to perfect. Kapernik (SP?) would be pretty good in our system. I will always be thankful for Nesbitt's contributions. He needed break away speed and throwing accuracy combined with a little more consistent speedy reads in my book. BUT, you have to LOVE the toughness. Tracy Ham (SP?) was pretty good.

We can't forget Li'l Joe. Although he ran a multiple set offense under Fridge, much of what he did in the option portion was masterful. If you were to give any of the guys in our list his touch on the deep ball, watch out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So, maybe not the right spot, but I'm really, really, really excited about Lucas Johnson. He's got experience in the offense, is plenty athletic and is the best passer Johnson has ever recruited. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, but I think he could be a transformative player in this offense.

Agree. I still think Vad Lee is one of the more physically gifted QBs, if not the most physically gifted QB CPJ recruited, but he never bought into CPJ's offense. I know some of us tend to only remember him for how he left, but he still had that MONSTER game against UNC and was torching UGA through the air the first half. We saw glimpses of the potential. If he would have 100% bought in...oh man. Goes to show fans, if you don't believe in what a coach is trying to do 100% of the time, things will not turn out the way it's suppose to.

I think Lucas Johnson will be what we all thought Vad could have been...possibly a stronger runner. This is a QB who knows it's CPJ's system from day one, and not looking to "expand the offense" all the time. His passing and running ability have the potential to put up some crazy numbers at the QB position. JeT had a great 2014 season, but I still don't think we've come close to the ceiling for QBs in this offense.

It's going to be interesting watching his development.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The QB depth chart before BC will be interesting. I just want multiple QBs to play in most games to keep either from getting worn down and develop depth. The Flex QB takes a lot of abuse.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Eric Crouch

Man, that's a good call. Everybody always talks about Tommie Frazier, and he was awesome but, for my money, Crouch was the best QB for those Nebraska teams. He was a KILLER. He was a better passer than you remember, he was NFL DB fast, and he ran with more power than you remember, too.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is going back some, but the best option QB I ever saw was J. C. Watts. (Hold it. You mean the Congressman? Yes.) Watts was as fast as Vick and could throw just as well. What made him special, however, was his ball handling.

His immediate predecessor, Jack Mildren, is my number 2 and it's a squeaker. Think of a faster Nesbitt who could really throw. And the problems he presented to Ds were almost unsurmountable. Who do you key on? Mildren or Greg Pruitt? You were dead as a doornail either way.

Say what you will about Barry Switzer and I'll agree with all of it. He had some truly great teams at OU, however.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is going back some, but the best option QB I ever saw was J. C. Watts. (Hold it. You mean the Congressman? Yes.) Watts was as fast as Vick and could throw just as well. What made him special, however, was his ball handling.

His immediate predecessor, Jack Mildren, is my number 2 and it's a squeaker. Think of a faster Nesbitt who could really throw. And the problems he presented to Ds were almost unsurmountable. Who do you key on? Mildren or Greg Pruitt? You were dead as a doornail either way.

Say what you will about Barry Switzer and I'll agree with all of it. He had some truly great teams at OU, however.
Meet JC at a football game of his alma mater high school game in eufala ok during snow storm. He and I did the first down marker. Coach signaled up in stands for friend and I to come help this guy do the sticks. At half time when we had coffee to warm up I got introduced. Heck of a humble guy = being as he was nust awarded mvp of grey cup.
He seems to me to be more like j nesbitt

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I think you have it. Mildren, JC; Watts and Jamiell Holloway were magicians in the Oklahoma wishbone. Joe Ham would be awesome in our offense.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, that's a good call. Everybody always talks about Tommie Frazier, and he was awesome but, for my money, Crouch was the best QB for those Nebraska teams. He was a KILLER. He was a better passer than you remember, he was NFL DB fast, and he ran with more power than you remember, too.

Shorter video here, but watch how he protects the ball when he takes off upfield, tucking it in his outside arm so as to not get it stripped. Coach Bryan Cook should play these highlights for our current crop of QBs. Turnovers are deadly when possessions are limited.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Probably still going with Cam Newton from a sheer size and strength combo but Eric Crouch would probably be right up there too. Good call on that one.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Watts was before my time, but I've heard he was a killer as well.