The GT Spread Option Offense

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but my favorite game of the Gailey era was when we beat Maryland in Fridge's first year 7 to 3. (Yes, that was the score.)

I like games where you play D, get ahead, and sit on the ball like a slug. This is the first year since '09 where we've been able to do that against a good D. And I seriously love it. I sometimes get frustrated reading posts on Tech sites calling for more passing, more "exciting" Os, ect. I love long drives where we score at the end. I love the look of frustration on opposing coaches and fans when they realize that the clock is running and they won't get enough chances to win. And, consequently, I love our O.

And, for an old OL, it is more fun to watch then a barrel of monkeys. I had the binochs on the OL throughout the game. We whipped da U at the LOS last night, especially as the game went on. I saw Devine - who played great - pancake two Miami DLs on one play. That was fun.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Having a QB so, so, so important in this offense, you can get by with a game mgr in other offenses if you're good with defense, ST's, running game etc., just hope we can keep getting good QBs. Having said that, think CTR and his coaches are doing a masterful job of coaching this bunch of defensive players and CPJ and his ball control help them maintain some confidence on defense IMO. Recruiting appears to be getting better and hopefully that is the case as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, it badly needs to.

This.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Friedgen's offense was pretty darn stout back in the day with Joe Hamilton and George Godsey. GT was winning at a pretty good clip at the time as well. Remember, our defense wasn't anything to brag about at that time either.

And Friedgen has the Rutgers offense in high gear this year. The man can just flat out coach his version of offense.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
That's exactly my point on not making one game a referendum. I'm a fan of this offense, and I'm well aware of its capabilities...but I'm not going to say only this offense would have won the game last night. That's hard to prove, especially in light of the past ...hence my example. Who's to say last night's game isn't the game where the wheel's fall off the Al Golden regime?

FWIW, I also think this offense would be a nightmare in a playoff environment as opposed to the BCS setup where teams have a month plus to prepare for.
I.E IOWA OR Utah from bowl games past....
2010 and 2011....

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I have always loved option football. Wishbone, veer, whatever. Any offense is only as good as its QB. In a passing attack you need to complete a high percentage of passes and have multiple good receivers and great pass blocking. We have proven since Dodd that it is tough to recruit all those variables at Tech except once in a blue moon.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
JT brings a dimension of athletic ability, leadership, and toughness that we have not seen in a long time. Last year you could tell there was a lack of leadership and toughness under VL. I also think we need to give the coaches a lot of credit in that they weeded out some guys that needed to go. At first, it is tough as a fan to see how it can make us very thin at some positions, but it is amazing how a positive group of players are able to accomplish things as a "team" when you weed out the negativity.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like Friedgen's offense best of all GT offenses (Won a National Championship with it)
CPJ's offense is cool but I would prefer more passing & some shotgun/pistol formations.
I like Malzahn's/Morris's O too. I thought GSU's offense was impressive & they still lead the nation in rushing. So yeah I like option offense.
I like any offense that works but ultimately just like any offense, you need players.
GT now has a player in JT that can be a catalyst for an offense. A game changer in short.
We gonna need him for Clemson, UGA, and now Tenuta lead UVA will not be that easy to just run on. JT will have to carry the load on those games.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
You would think that an offense like the triple option would have a certain appeal to an engineering school. Precision. Discipline. All the parts working together.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
The offense debate can be argued in circles. Like a lot of things, when it's executed well it works. We executed and controlled the clock. I chalk this win to coaching and player execution. Now let's focus and go beat Duke.

Go Jackets.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you, Boomer. In fact, that is why I wanted PJ here to begin with, but with that said, it has hurt recruiting because of perceptions and basically "lies" from other teams. I hope we are about to get over the hump with recruiting, and at least get our defense to a top 40 talent level...that is all we need....

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you, Boomer. In fact, that is why I wanted PJ here to begin with, but with that said, it has hurt recruiting because of perceptions and basically "lies" from other teams. I hope we are about to get over the hump with recruiting, and at least get our defense to a top 40 talent level...that is all we need....
When has recruiting been great at GT? We got Joe Hamilton because we offered at QB. We won the NC because we uncovered a bunch of underrated ball players. The better question is why we can't get kids like Custis in school in the first place.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
There have been times in the CPJ administration where the perceived talent limitations at our school have been overblown. I look at the game saturday night and think that the biggest difference in the vast majority of their kids and the vast majority of our kids were the numbers of stars next to their name. Duke Johnson is every bit the player they thought he would be. CJ Perryman is a fantastic talent who had his effectiveness severely limited by an offense that's hard to defend. But I do think there have been times where CPJ et al have not wanted to do things based on where they perceive our talent to be, rather than where it is.

Now, having said that, our ability to open up the faucet and bleed the clock dry was absolutely vital saturday. I do think there is a negative psychological effect on opposing coaches when they feel like its been 3 days since they've had the ball, are behind, and feel like they have to abandon what works best in order to try to make plays. Our play calling forced Miami to put the game in Kaava's hands, which was absolutely the right thing to do. I think the pistol sets were good, in that it gave opposing coaches something else to prepare for, but I think the effect of only running an offense from under center is supposedly having on recruiting and game results is vastly overblown.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One downside to the death march strategy is a) you better not shoot youself in the foot with penalties, which we did and b) you better be good on 3rd down, which we were. Miami had many, many opportunities to get off the field if they could make a play and did not, for the most part.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Miami should have figured this out and brought up the pressure to force us off the field. Also they played too soft in red zone. Their coach will probably be available at end of year.