The Goose!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Only if he is fired as an NFL Head Coach. That is where he is going.
Sadly, you're probably right. We'd probably get him on the "Harbaugh's glorious return " gameplan. Also, I have a feeling we'll try to keep going with an option type scheme to utilize the players on our roster. Remember how hard Nebraska crashed after switching from option to West Coast offense overnight?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Godsey is a pro guy all the way, and now he has the Belichick effect. Hell if he can make Hoyer or Mallet work, he may be hired next year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Was just going through my dvr and the GT-Clemson game from 2000 was on, I had to show it to my wife so she could see Watkins' awesome catch to win the game. Goose was awesome that game!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Was just going through my dvr and the GT-Clemson game from 2000 was on, I had to show it to my wife so she could see Watkins' awesome catch to win the game. Goose was awesome that game!

Goose was a VERY good QB. He just happened to have followed Joe Hamilton so he wasn't appreciated as much as he should have been. Not many QBs since Shawn Jones have been as productive as Goose. Think about it:

Shawn Jones
Joe Hamilton
George Godsey
Josh Nesbitt
Justin Thomas

In the 25+ years since our National Championship, we've only had 5 QBs who's productivity was pivotal to our team. Tevin Washington could probably added to that list. Yet, we rarely ever mention Godsey when it comes to the "special" players.

Godsey was definitely one of the top players in recent GT football history.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
George Godsey, future Georgia Tech Head Coach.

He'll NEVER be a Head Coach at GA Tech because he won't want to recruit or put up with the other "restrictions" of college football. Also, whether anyone wants to admit it or not WE NEED a Coach who can give us a competitive advantage through "innovation," and he doesn't.

Sadly, you're probably right. We'd probably get him on the "Harbaugh's glorious return " gameplan. Also, I have a feeling we'll try to keep going with an option type scheme to utilize the players on our roster. Remember how hard Nebraska crashed after switching from option to West Coast offense overnight?
But first we would have to have crashed and burned like Michigan did. I'd rather not.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He'll NEVER be a Head Coach at GA Tech because he won't want to recruit or put up with the other "restrictions" of college football. Also, whether anyone wants to admit it or not WE NEED a Coach who can give us a competitive advantage through "innovation," and he doesn't.

...and you know any of this how? Remember, he was at UCF with O'Leary, coached under O'Leary. He was a good recruiter for UCF.

Goose also coached under O'Leary, Belichek, and now O'Brien. His OC in college was Fridge, who is one of the top offensive minds in college football. All four of whom are well known for giving their teams competitive advantages through finding talent everyone else overlooks, and pure coaching. You don't think any of that rubbed off on Godsey? The guy was an honors engineering graduate at GT...so you know he's extremely smart.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agree with Techster. I love our offense. The nature of all it does just resonates with me. But it's not the only O that can be successful here. I'd say Fridges scheme was just as good. And I see no reason to think Goose is incapable of running equally successful schemes here one day as well.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
...and you know any of this how? Remember, he was at UCF with O'Leary, coached under O'Leary. He was a good recruiter for UCF.

Goose also coached under O'Leary, Belichek, and now O'Brien. His OC in college was Fridge, who is one of the top offensive minds in college football. All four of whom are well known for giving their teams competitive advantages through finding talent everyone else overlooks, and pure coaching. You don't think any of that rubbed off on Godsey? The guy was an honors engineering graduate at GT...so you know he's extremely smart.

First, UCF is NOTHING like GA Tech. I know it, and so does he. If YOU don't know it, then I can't have a discussion with you.

Second, I know exactly who he personally played UNDER, and Coached WITH, and I also know what kind of an Offensive Coordinator HE has become because I've watched him call plays. He doesn't do ANYTHING "exotic" or "unique" that would make OUR Offense a differentiator.

Chan Gailey was/is known as an "Offensive Guru," and we all saw THAT worked out for us (in SPITE of having one of the best WR's in HISTORY on our Roster, Calvin Johnson).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First, UCF is NOTHING like GA Tech. I know it, and so does he. If YOU don't know it, then I can't have a discussion with you.

Second, I know exactly who he personally played UNDER, and Coached WITH, and I also know what kind of an Offensive Coordinator HE has become because I've watched him call plays. He doesn't do ANYTHING "exotic" or "unique" that would make OUR Offense a differentiator.

Chan Gailey was/is known as an "Offensive Guru," and we all saw THAT worked out for us (in SPITE of having one of the best WR's in HISTORY on our Roster, Calvin Johnson).

Dude, not being an A-hole here, but now you're just giving OPINIONS out of that place the sun don't shine. How exactly do you "know what kind of an Offensive Coordinator HE has become "?? Dude has called 2 games as an offensive coordinator his entire professional career, and both were preseason games with pro-style QBs? What type of deep insight did you glean off of that?! (BTW, his two journeymen QBs Mallett and Hoyer had really good games)

Of course UCF is nothing like GT, but you forget...Godsey actually went to GT. You don't think he knows what GT has to deal with academically in terms of recruiting. Oh, btw, Godsey spent over a decade in the college game as a player and coach (5 years at GT as a player, 7 years at UCF as a coach) versus just 5 years as a pro coach. Somehow he forgot the difference between college and the pros? You don't spend 7 years in the college coaching ranks and rise up to the level he did if you can't recruit...as you contended in your OP.

Last thing...what the heck does Chan Gailey have to do with Godsey?! Does anyone who's spent any amount of time in the NFL automatically get lumped in with Gailey?! That's the most irresponsible and uninformed comparison you've made yet. Godsey spent 5 years in one of the most innovative offenses (Friedgen's offense which was incorporating zone read principles before zone read became the "it" thing to do) for its time, and spent 3 years as a coach for Belichek who is widely known for incorporating cutting edge college schemes into his own offense (Chip Kelley's HUNH offense, Mike Leach's 4 Verts based passing game, even CPJ's run game principles). All indications are, Godsey's coaching career has been molded by minds that have emphasized flexibility with talent and scheme. You think Godsey is not smart enough to understand that?

Pete Carroll was a pro coach...how'd that work out for USC? Jim Harbaugh had 2 years of real HC experience in the college game and was considered a pro guy, how'd that work out for Stanford? June Jones was a pro coach...worked out well for Hawaii. Jim Mora was a pro coach...worked out well for Hawaii. BTW...what do all those coaches have in common outside of being considered "pro coaches"...they all had or have great offenses in college.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Chan Gailey was/is known as an "Offensive Guru,"
This is news to me. I always thought he was pretty much a proponent of vanilla flavored pro set, somewhat dumbed down for college level. He was hired at Tech because he was supposed to be a good judge of football talent and he was said to have lots of connections around the state with high school coaches. His offenses at Tech were the exact opposite of innovative. CPJ and Fridge have been the only two offensive gurus at Tech in the last 50 years.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll bet Goose could come in here and run this flexbone offense (as a coordinator) just fine. Remember "the Goose is loose"? I don't know Godsey at all personally, but he gives me obvious impression that he is, as we say in Maine, "wicked smaaht". He has a breadth of offensive experience that most coaches wouldn't. My point for saying this, is not conjecture about his future status here, but rather that I don't think his NFL pedigree or experience will have poisened the well at all from the GT perspective.

I may be way off the mark here, but I have the impression that Goose could show up to the GT football offices, spend a week in the film room with pizza boxes and empty bottles of mountain dew piling up around him, and emerge needing a shave, but ready to run this offense. We may never choose to court him and he may never want to come back, but, in any case, the end result will not be influenced by his inability to do it.

Personally, I am married to this flex-bone system, especially in the context of its suitability to our beloved institute. I said "I DO" several seasons ago. I know that CPJ will not be here for ever. If I were AD, the next guy who comes in as HC at GT would have to be committed to carrying that torch. We would be crazy to change. So, as much as I like Godsey, if he were for changing the offensive game plan, then I say "no thanks". We are all enjoying a historic run of offense at GT over the last several years that really has no peer. Dismantling what we have built smacks of insanity. When you look at the FEI stats etc we compiled from last season and their position in the history of the stat itself, then consider the wide gap that existed between us and the second / third place teams, whose vaunted offenses are revered by the rest of CFB fans everywhere, it should start to sink in.