The Goose!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree I think when CPJ hangs it up we should look at his disciple tree pretty hard for a coach.

Hmm...look at what Willie Fritz did at Georgia Southern when they transitioned from Jeff Monken's CPJ based spread option. I think there are many types of schemes that would work well here outside of CPJ's spread option. GT just needs a coach that emphasizes great scouting, and flexibility to make the most out of the talent available. I think guys like Saban and Richt who are at large flag ship programs would have a hard time being competitive at a place like GT because they don't have a built-in recruiting advantage like they do at 'Bama and UGA. Someone like Gus Malzahn and his version of the spread option would do well here, and he's proven his system will work anywhere.

It's not necessarily CPJ's scheme that works well at GT, it's his thought process and how he analyzes and calls the games that makes CPJ what he is. You don't necessarily get that just because someone is from his coaching tree.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Maybe. That's a fair point, but the level of success they had in that first year would seem to be a pretty good indicator of future success.

slugboy

Staff member
This is news to me. I always thought he was pretty much a proponent of vanilla flavored pro set, somewhat dumbed down for college level. He was hired at Tech because he was supposed to be a good judge of football talent and he was said to have lots of connections around the state with high school coaches. His offenses at Tech were the exact opposite of innovative. CPJ and Fridge have been the only two offensive gurus at Tech in the last 50 years.
He was one of the first to run a "wildcat" style offense, and did a lot of disruptive things with Kordell Stewart at Pittsburgh as OC. At that point, he was an innovator. Then, he went to Dallas and instituted a paste-flavored offense (vanilla has flavor). Then, he did the same thing everywhere he's been since. I'm not sure what happened to the innovative coach, but he used to look like Gailey.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. That's a fair point, but the level of success they had in that first year would seem to be a pretty good indicator of future success.
fair but look at what Ken Niumatalolo has done at Navy. Only 1 losing season there since taking over. Setting the world on fire? No but it's still impressive at Navy and matching the trend set by CPJ.