The End of College Sports As We Know It

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why the "money" schools would want this change. The advantage they have now is almost insurmountable for the non-money schools. The changes Baker suggested would run up the cost and not really change the competitive dynamics. Sankey's reaction was, to paraphrase, "WTF, how can you propose something like this and not talk to us 1st."
I didnt take the time to truly understand the proposal, but if it has got Skankey’s panties in a wad, I think I’m leaning toward it. :D

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ivy League schools are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships.
This is a quibble and your point is valid, but …I played at a Div 3 school. Same restriction. Out of our starting 22, 15 had played at Div 1 schools and transferred in. They were either too small or too slow or both. All of them had scholarships. Academic scholarships and none of them full boat, but scholarships nonetheless.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
So college football will be the only opportunity for 98.4% of players to be paid professionally for their football services…
Except for the Ivy League schools and other conferences with only academic scholarships, yes. The percentage would be a good bit lower, but I don’t know by how much.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Take Harvard. Endowment is such that any student of need can go for free if they are accepted. Other students pay tuition on a graduated scale based on income. Harvard ends up being reasonable to pay for regardless of your income. Uber wealthy pay full tuition because they can afford it. Academic scholarships are for merit and are given accordingly.
They don't use the same criteria for athletes that they use for their regular students, regardless of what they say. I went to school with the son of the Head of Admissions at Yale and he played football for them. I know of what I speak.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They don't use the same criteria for athletes that they use for their regular students, regardless of what they say. I went to school with the son of the Head of Admissions at Yale and he played football for them. I know of what I speak.
So, what are you saying? Yale admissions is messed up? Ha!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I told you what the students I knew at Harvard shared with me. One an athlete, one not. Also have a colleague who played baseball at Yale and he told me essentially the same thing, though Yale and Harvard don’t do it exactly the same.

So I don’t know what to tell you.

But are you suggesting that the Ivys are so competitive in football that they bend the rules to get star athletes? I find that hard to believe. No offense.

But if you are suggesting that they have different criteria for students based on a combination of merit and creating a diverse learning environment I would by that. Heck, Harvard accepted a young woman who had been homeschooled in the cab of a semi-trailer her parents drove.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Georgia Tech’s endowment is $3 BILLION (with a b). GT’s athletic programs don’t even move the needle for The Institute. That’s why they’ve been allowed to bleed money for decades. The $200M GTAA is in the hole is less than 7% of GT’s total endowment.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Georgia Tech’s endowment is $3 BILLION (with a b). GT’s athletic programs don’t even move the needle for The Institute. That’s why they’ve been allowed to bleed money for decades. The $200M GTAA is in the hole is less than 7% of GT’s total endowment.

TAMU endowment is 6x that of GT and you don’t think Johnny Manziel/ football don’t move the needle there? The Flutie effect is real

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I told you what the students I knew at Harvard shared with me. One an athlete, one not. Also have a colleague who played baseball at Yale and he told me essentially the same thing, though Yale and Harvard don’t do it exactly the same.

So I don’t know what to tell you.

But are you suggesting that the Ivys are so competitive in football that they bend the rules to get star athletes? I find that hard to believe. No offense.

But if you are suggesting that they have different criteria for students based on a combination of merit and creating a diverse learning environment I would by that. Heck, Harvard accepted a young woman who had been homeschooled in the cab of a semi-trailer her parents drove.

Pretty much Ivy League schools do whatever they want, with impunity.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
TAMU endowment is 6x that of GT and you don’t think Johnny Manziel/ football don’t move the needle there? The Flutie effect is real
The A&M $18Billion endowment is across the entire Texas A&M system which includes 11 universities. College Station obviously is the bulk of that, but they also have 73,000 total students, and 57,000 undergrads on campus. Tech has 48k students but less than 20k are undergrads, and a huge chunk of the graduate population are online students. The 2 are not even comparable. Just the undergraduate population at Texas A&M is larger than the capacity of Bobby Dodd Stadium. The cultures of the schools and their students are entirely different.

Did Manziel move the needle at A&M? Maybe. After he won the Heisman in 2012 A&M has failed to reach 10 wins again. They’ve paid a lot of money for very little results. In today’s era of college football having somebody like Manziel on your team would cost millions of dollars per year. Do you really think Tech can play in that market? Carson Beck is supposedly demanding $4M, he’s not even close to bringing a Manziel level of hype. For football to truly move the needle at Tech ever again we have to beat UGA more than we lose to them, and given the current environment I don’t think that’s possible. Their football budget is higher than our entire athletic department.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
All Division III schools are not allowed athletic scholarships. Having grown up next to Yale, and having played football with players who played for Yale, they don't get athletic scholarships, but they're all on full-ride scholarships of some sort.

This is a quibble and your point is valid, but …I played at a Div 3 school. Same restriction. Out of our starting 22, 15 had played at Div 1 schools and transferred in. They were either too small or too slow or both. All of them had scholarships. Academic scholarships and none of them full boat, but scholarships nonetheless.

Ivy League is FCS, not DIII.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The A&M $18Billion endowment is across the entire Texas A&M system which includes 11 universities. College Station obviously is the bulk of that, but they also have 73,000 total students, and 57,000 undergrads on campus. Tech has 48k students but less than 20k are undergrads, and a huge chunk of the graduate population are online students. The 2 are not even comparable. Just the undergraduate population at Texas A&M is larger than the capacity of Bobby Dodd Stadium. The cultures of the schools and their students are entirely different.

Did Manziel move the needle at A&M? Maybe. After he won the Heisman in 2012 A&M has failed to reach 10 wins again. They’ve paid a lot of money for very little results. In today’s era of college football having somebody like Manziel on your team would cost millions of dollars per year. Do you really think Tech can play in that market? Carson Beck is supposedly demanding $4M, he’s not even close to bringing a Manziel level of hype. For football to truly move the needle at Tech ever again we have to beat UGA more than we lose to them, and given the current environment I don’t think that’s possible. Their football budget is higher than our entire athletic department.
TAMU joined the SEC in 2012. That is why they have not reached 10+ wins since that first season, although they did go 9-1 in 2020 in the covid shortened season.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
TAMU joined the SEC in 2012. That is why they have not reached 10+ wins since that first season, although they did go 9-1 in 2020 in the covid shortened season.
They were in the SEC when they won 11 games and Manziel won the Heisman in 2012.
But also, are you saying that joining a conference that pays out more money doesn’t automatically make your athletic programs more competitive? Because some on this board think Tech would be better off in the B1G where we get dwarfed financially, than in the ACC where we’re relatively even.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
They were in the SEC when they won 11 games and Manziel won the Heisman in 2012.
But also, are you saying that joining a conference that pays out more money doesn’t automatically make your athletic programs more competitive? Because some on this board think Tech would be better off in the B1G where we get dwarfed financially, than in the ACC where we’re relatively even.
Competitively, we are much better off in the ACC.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That’s exactly how the Ivies do it as well.