The DC Debate

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
2 of the last 3 years Ted Roof's defense has had a better ranking than Paul Johnson's offense in terms of yards per game.

I'd like to meet Paul Johnson's publicist. There is no other coach in Power 5 who constantly gets a pass--and even lauded-- for turning in mediocre results.

Either his publicist is a genius, or the fans are the NCAA counterpart of the German citizenry in the 1930's.
Here we go again. Where is your rock? Please go back to that hole. On the other hand: I would hit the ignore button but you are one of the few haters that make me laugh every time. Please keep this crap coming!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I am a huge fan of Ted Roof, he is in my mind a huge improvement in every way over the previous two DC's. Don't get me wrong some of his bend and break schemes drive me crazy, i much prefer Tenuta's style but that ship has sailed. I truly want to believe that when Ted has 4-5 classes strong of his guys that we are going to be happy with the results.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Part of the problem.
Mixed feelings
When dc and dl coach arrived only mass exodus is dl - even though we re recruited them and paid scholarship as well as coaced them .
Maybe they ALL were insufficient.

I sit right behind bench where the dl huddles when off field. He really coaches up the starters. The subs and reserves are near by but not engaged. With as few reserves as we have at dl , it seems like we would use every moment to coach up the backups. Early in year Kallon sat near the huddle (when jabri was in)..

Also ,I prefer a penetrating dl style as opposed to the chuck, peek rip style that we use. When we are as bigger and stronger , we wont be pushed back 1/2 yard while reading the play. Since holding is only called when a defensive player makes a play on the ball, our style gives the ol time to get a good tight grab on to our dt. Acc champ 14 @ end of game = our offese killing it. We need to stop fsu 3 or 4th &5 yds. We all know its dalvin cook off rt. The offensive tackle literally picked up our de and threw him out of the play) . If we cant Neutralize the ol I say ee take risks. Most on this board and our coaches are more conservative.

BUT to give -pelton pelton a break, with a deficiency of depth and size in dl , it is really very difficult use clever dl schemes against the better acc teams (2015). Also he really coached up gotsis who gave 110percent. He is recruiting and bigger (actually shorter and heavier) dl .

I say let's see how this plays out with head coach fixit.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I was just answering the question. Pelton is still a ? to me.

I think what he is being asked to coach for the dl to fit in the overall scheme naturally puts pelton at a disadvantage. Roof uses the dl to occupy more than penetrate and disrupt. It doesnt exactly make the dl player or coach feel like they shine. I hate almost every aspect of what i can figure our philosophy is on d. Although sometimes i cant see what that is either.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think what he is being asked to coach for the dl to fit in the overall scheme naturally puts pelton at a disadvantage. Roof uses the dl to occupy more than penetrate and disrupt. It doesnt exactly make the dl player or coach feel like they shine. I hate almost every aspect of what i can figure our philosophy is on d. Although sometimes i cant see what that is either.
I thought we had our moments, and FSU was one such in '15 and in the second half of the '14 ACC championship game. MSU kind of made sense to me -- tons of yards in the middle of the field but some big plays to get them into 3rd and 4th and long, and I thought it was helped along because MSU did not seem to have the big play WR, and their name RB kind of disappeared after Golden decleated him. It seems to me though that counting on a big play is not as they say, a sustainable business model.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
For what it is worth, when CTR was at Penn State his "stated" philosophy was to play an aggressive defense but not give up big plays. As I understood it at the time, it meant he always wanted a safety in position to keep a play from breaking away and he always wanted a linebacker to spy. Other players, depending on down, distance and position, were to either hold their position or fire away to disrupt the play. The only other thing I remember was that his defensive philosophy will always call for one linebacker to be fast enough (perhaps smaller and lighter?) to drop into coverage like an extra DB while still being able to blitz or provide run support.

All of this was prior to his coming to Tech when he was asked about his defensive philosophy. The only other thing I recall is that he coaches for turnovers pretty heavily.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
This is baloney. I understand you don't like Roof but this is just ridiculous. Our DL is never double teamed because other teams have not had to. One on one is as easy as it gets. I hate to bad mouth our SAs but it's really hard to sit here and listen to you put out that crap without calling you on it. Roof does what he has to do scheme wise with the talent he's had. Hopefully it's going to get better and the scheme will progress with it. Roof knows what every other good coach knows. You can only do what your players are capable of doing.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is baloney. I understand you don't like Roof but this is just ridiculous. Our DL is never double teamed because other teams have not had to. One on one is as easy as it gets. I hate to bad mouth our SAs but it's really hard to sit here and listen to you put out that crap without calling you on it. Roof does what he has to do scheme wise with the talent he's had. Hopefully it's going to get better and the scheme will progress with it. Roof knows what every other good coach knows. You can only do what your players are capable of doing.

Why you insist on thinking this is personal? Nobody is saying fire Roof, but the eye in the sky doesn't lie and in this case the number doesn't either.

Roof had pretty much the same personnel as 2014, why did he resort back bend but don't break, when he was extremely effective implementing an aggressive approach?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Why you insist on thinking this is personal? Nobody is saying fire Roof, but the eye in the sky doesn't lie and in this case the number doesn't either.

Roof had pretty much the same personnel as 2014, why did he resort back bend but don't break, when he was extremely effective implementing an aggressive approach?

This next season will sort out a number of these issues...to trend upward or ....

I know I'm excited and hope for the best but am understandably concerned and harbor an annoying doubt that I so hope does not manifest in another year like 2015 causing the need for substantive changes...

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

It's obviously personal. You're right watch the film. Our personnel limits what we can do and anybody that does not have a personal bias and has a clue what to look for can see that. We are single blocked on pass protection and so far we've had a hard time beating one on one blocks. Okay, bring the house right? Wrong, we have trouble getting there bringing 5 or 6. So do you bring 7? You better have 4 guys who can cover their guy man and you better get there quick or they score. The other way is zone blitz which is still pretty much Bend but don't break and hope they make a mistake. The bottom line is you have to beat one on one blocks. I'm hopeful that we can do better in that area as we get more mature. We're already recruiting better but Roof has to do what the players are capable of doing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's obviously personal. You're right watch the film. Our personnel limits what we can do and anybody that does not have a personal bias and has a clue what to look for can see that. We are single blocked on pass protection and so far we've had a hard time beating one on one blocks. Okay, bring the house right? Wrong, we have trouble getting there bringing 5 or 6. So do you bring 7? You better have 4 guys who can cover their guy man and you better get there quick or they score. The other way is zone blitz which is still pretty much Bend but don't break and hope they make a mistake. The bottom line is you have to beat one on one blocks. I'm hopeful that we can do better in that area as we get more mature. We're already recruiting better but Roof has to do what the players are capable of doing.

This makes sense, but it requires that our personnel are significantly below average. The external assessment of our personnel doesn't support this, IMO.

Would you agree that we have better personnel this year? There are 64 pwr 5 teams, 128 in FBS. Where would you put us in talent, personnel? How bad must this be for elite coaching to result in no better than mid 50's in efficiency? What do you predict for def eff this year?

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
This makes sense, but it requires that our personnel are significantly below average. The external assessment of our personnel doesn't support this, IMO.

Would you agree that we have better personnel this year? There are 64 pwr 5 teams, 128 in FBS. Where would you put us in talent, personnel? How bad must this be for elite coaching to result in no better than mid 50's in efficiency? What do you predict for def eff this year?
I evaluate what happens on the field. I see us being blocked one on one across the board. We have to win some of those one on one matchups to draw double teams. That hasn't happened consistently. At some point we have to be able to defeat blocks. Hopefully that will begin to happen on a more consistent basis as we mature and get better players. There is no scheme that will work when you consistently get beat one on one across the board. I'm not sure what external assessment s you're talking about. We lost a lot of D personnel a couple off season's ago and that set us back. We've not been stellar recruiting DL, Lb, and DBs all together until the last two recruiting classes. Will they be able to compete and win on the one on one matchups? I'm hopeful but we won't know until we see what happens on the field.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

The external assessments that evaluate our talent level are the recruiting ratings and they put us about where we've been rated on D. I don't put alot of stock in these numbers. I believe in our staff.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The external assessments that evaluate our talent level are the recruiting ratings and they put us about where we've been rated on D. I don't put alot of stock in these numbers. I believe in our staff.

No, they don't.

That's okay that you don't put much stock in recruiting service rankings. Is it your contention that our talent has been so far below average that elite coaching can't get average results?

Also, what is YOUR assessment of our talent this year? Is there any performance level that will change your opinion?

I am hoping you are right but expected more this past year. Maybe it was lockerroom.

Also, is it your position that coaching plays no role in LBs staying in the right gaps and DL defeating blocks? Are all our problems on D just genetics?