The DC Debate

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our D was pretty awful at times in 14. With our lack of depth, especially on the Dline...they over performed like mad IMO. Granted...that was in large part due to big plays / turnovers. Were those not due in part to play calls? We may have had a top 70 D in 14 but I think the coaching job in 14 was probably a top 20 performance.

Our d in 2014 was like 100th wasnt it? If turnovers were a product of good coaching then where did they go last year on a more senior d? For me turnovers on d are not an indicator of good coaching; alot of that is luck and player skill and will more than pure coaching. So i personally dont look at that. And says not much to me about us.

Consistency, good 3rd down percentage, yards per play much better indicators and we have been bad there.....We havent grown as a d under his tenure and that is a huge indicator for me. We are stuck. Like with other good DC or OC you can watch a unit grow and gel and start getting it. We are like helter skelter with no go to. One game we look ok. The next lost. One season ranked like 90. The next 60. The next back to like 70 or 80. Or whatever you get what i am saying. There has been and is no progression or trend in a good direction.

turnovers for us was more or less good individual efforts and a bit of luck than anything. That 2014 d was horrendous. In fact i think it was the worst d in 20 years iirc in most stats.

I think @ae87 had those stats at one point?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Actually we telegraph 9 out 9.5 plays. A few you recall were just great baits by the cb not necessarily a design of disguising covg. One that comes to mind is white vs vt. He baited him. But it was totally obvious it was cover 2 at the snap. He just dropped hard when he read the qbs eyes. For me presnap we tell way too early and often in blitzes too.
I thought I recalled players saying something different from that, that they practice setting the other team up for the pick and that is part of CTR's philosophy. I am sure I read this on more than one occasion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
turnovers for us was more or less good individual efforts and a bit of luck than anything.
Not according to everything the players have said. To be sure there is some luck involved but the players claim that there is an awful lot of preparation going on in anticipation of this "luck."

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually we telegraph 9 out 9.5 plays. A few you recall were just great baits by the cb not necessarily a design of disguising covg. One that comes to mind is white vs vt. He baited him. But it was totally obvious it was cover 2 at the snap. He just dropped hard when he read the qbs eyes. For me presnap we tell way too early and often in blitzes too.
In the article you posted on the second play the coverage ended up being man free. Presnap it looked like cover 0 man. I actually thought the free safety might be late getting there but he wasn't and ended up making a good play. That is a good transition in coverage. I hope everyone will watch the film you posted and judge for themselves.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As @deeeznutz suggested, I've started this thread for anyone who wants to debate CTR and the GT defensive scheme. I have also transferred the posts from the Gotsis/White thread.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Could be decent. We've got Kallon and Gamble at DT, with Henderson, Glanton & Morgan to back them up. At DE, we've got Freeman, Branch, St. Amour, Rook-Chungong, & Tyler Merriweather. LB has PJ, Vic, Lewis, Jackson + more underclassman. Secondary is a big ???, except for Gray but we've got athletes.

At this point we don't know what we've got. They won't be Clemson but they could make some things happen.

I'm hoping for Vic and St. Amour to really come on after putting some muscle on. Hopefully Kallon plays his heart out. Gamble knows what he's doing. I hope, hope, hope Branch and Freeman can get some pressure.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This year is gonna be another tough one personnel wise on D. More teeth cutting imo. It's gonna take a phenomenal coaching job just to be mediocre.
With young db and safteys they could get confused using the dc 's baiting the qb into a mistakes.
Even with the seniors we got few interceptions.

Perhaps we will have some agressive dl rush lane calls verses the conservative neutralize and peak then rip.

To your point lets hope we get better each game.

Last edited:

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Could be decent. We've got Kallon and Gamble at DT, with Henderson, Glanton & Morgan to back them up. At DE, we've got Freeman, Branch, St. Amour, Rook-Chungong, & Tyler Merriweather. LB has PJ, Vic, Lewis, Jackson + more underclassman. Secondary is a big ???, except for Gray but we've got athletes.

At this point we don't know what we've got. They won't be Clemson but they could make some things happen.

I'm hoping for Vic and St. Amour to really come on after putting some muscle on. Hopefully Kallon plays his heart out. Gamble knows what he's doing. I hope, hope, hope Branch and Freeman can get some pressure.
Also add in Adams at DT, Woods at DE, and Mitchell at LB

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Also add in Adams at DT, Woods at DE, and Mitchell at LB
Two noobs and former noob. Sophs tend to hit a mysterious sophomore slump for some inexplicable reason. (example: Freeman) Actually, Mitchell is one of the bright spots on the D, if he doesn't produce, we're screwed.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We should be loaded at LB. So IMO kickoff coverage and returns should be well fielded....we shall see. Some possible stars in the secondary but none proven yet. Dline remains a big unknown for me.

Looking forward to spring ball / spring game.....bet it rains like a ***** again tho.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
What concerns me is that if you go back to Penn State coverage of Roof's hire and Tech's coverage, Roof stated he wanted to be "multiple" and "aggressive". I'm not a football analyst but we aren't doing either one of those things. Either we don't have the talent to do it, or Roof has changed (or never had) that philosophy.

We replaced a bend but don't break D with a bend but don't break D. Roof's just does a better job lining up. It has been 3 years and I don't expect changes on this front.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What concerns me is that if you go back to Penn State coverage of Roof's hire and Tech's coverage, Roof stated he wanted to be "multiple" and "aggressive". I'm not a football analyst but we aren't doing either one of those things. Either we don't have the talent to do it, or Roof has changed (or never had) that philosophy.

We replaced a bend but don't break D with a bend but don't break D. Roof's just does a better job lining up. It has been 3 years and I don't expect changes on this front.
Jimmies and Joes.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I think as a whole we lack team speed on defense......which is a huge factor......but I think we are recruiting better to compensate for that.....and if you don't have team speed you need to play bend but don't break defense.....