The Could've Beens for '14

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
We are very much on the outside looking in, in regards to the CFP but in my opinion it is simply amazing to even be in the conversation in any way. Who would have thought, coming into this season after losing Attaochu and others that we would have the success we have seen. This really attributes to the hard work and talent of CPJ and his staff, thus why he is deserving of the extension. Although, If maybe we had done things just a little bit differently with those two inferiors from Chapel Hill and Durham, that this could have been a Banner type year. It still has that chance, but it is fun/amazing/etc to think about what this year could have been for GT Football, considering the relative "collapse" of the SEC with their 7 year reign. Let me know any of your thoughts...

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
Was thinking how much I wish Robbie and Jerry could have been around for this one - especially Robbie (Sneazy's doin' purty good where he is)...

Oh my Gosh, Amen to that. Especially Robbie, a guy like him is a once in a decade type of player. Looking at him, you automatically think that he shouldn't be on the field, but the attitude and work ethic that he carried made him one of my favorite Jackets ever. Just wish all the guys had the "want to" that he had. Definitely would have boosted us this year, and without him we would have experienced some very different season results during his time on the Flats.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
..., that this could have been a Banner type year. It still has that chance, but it is fun/amazing/etc to think about what this year could have been for GT Football, ... Let me know any of your thoughts...

"Could have been"?? Save that kind of thinking for next week. CPJ and his fine young men ain't done yet.

Besides, a win on Saturday and by definition this year will be a banner year!

Regardless of the outcome in Charlotte, this year has been a fun/amazing/etc. experience for us all. A Season that all of us should remember for the positives that happened, leaving those two games in the foggy parts of our memories. The players and coaches have given us their all and I am proud of them for their accomplishments this season. Like @GTNavyNuke says, the boys are playing with house money now. Everything GT Football does going forward is an unexpected bonus.

As for the SEleCtion Committee and their overrated conference - pi$$ on 'em.

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
"Could have been"?? Save that kind of thinking for next week. CPJ and his fine young men ain't done yet.

Besides, a win on Saturday and by definition this year will be a banner year!

Regardless of the outcome in Charlotte, this year has been a fun/amazing/etc. experience for us all. A Season that all of us should remember for the positives that happened, leaving those two games in the foggy parts of our memories. The players and coaches have given us their all and I am proud of them for their accomplishments this season. Like @GTNavyNuke says, the boys are playing with house money now. Everything GT Football does going forward is an unexpected bonus.

As for the SEleCtion Committee and their overrated conference - pi$$ on 'em.

For as much as you made me seem like a "piss-ant" and maybe I made it that way too, but I like what you have to say. I've always been behind this program, and always will be, all I am trying to say is that we aren't as "far away" from CFB greatness as people think and a lot of recruits like to say when choosing other programs. We're on our way up, and this staff and team isn't going to quit here because they understand the capabilities and what it takes. We're only getting better, I think we are on the edge of 9-3 & 10-2 seasons becoming the norm.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm only 30, but my philosophy in life is not to dwell in the past, playing the woulda coulda should game. Can't change the past, can only look forward and learn from it.

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm only 30, but my philosophy in life is not to dwell in the past, playing the woulda coulda should game. Can't change the past, can only look forward and learn from it.

Well the game of football is all about looking at what has worked in the PAST and what didn't. It is also about looking at the competitions PAST performances and game plans and evaluating what and where they can be exploited. The PAST has a lot to do with the FUTURE of a teams success because of what they learn from and change. Recruiting is also very much predicated upon the PAST. If recruits didn't care about Coach Saban's past successes with championships and developing draft picks and what that meant for their FUTURE, then I think that he would have a lot harder times getting kids to want to come to Tuscaloosa... Im only 18 so maybe you're right and I need to grow up, but I like my stance and thats where I'm at with this...

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
They are responding to the thread title you chose not the substance of your actual comment on being right on the cusp of the playoff picture. Your comment is fine as it is amazing that in the first year of the 4 team playoff given what we as fans expected out of this year that the team has come so far and gotten so close.

Next year the schedule will become much more difficult. The really important thing to build on from this year is the way that the team never gives up or stops playing and understands that even if the last play went against you the next one is not yet determined. That is why for me it was so excruciating to have to watch our young starting QB deal with refs trying to destroy his self-confidence by having completely jobbed him over on two b.s. and pivotal "fumble" calls last Saturday. Thomas has been brought along well by his coaches and and has had such great senior leadership and influence to help him develop over the course of the year on the field of play, especially in Smelter, Laskey, Mason and Days. The referees put him in a position to feel he had let his team down . . . not his actual performance on the field.

All the underclassmen need to carry these lessons over for next year when the team will have a much harder schedule. Also, when you beat a team one year it gets harder to do that a second year in a row . . . the other team has pride as well. Every team Tech has beaten this year is going to be on a mission for revenge when they play us next year. VT when they come to Bobby Dodd, Clemson when we go there. Double digit win years are not easy to come by and nor are they at all easy to sustain year after year.

So it is great to have this year to enjoy and I am hopeful to see the Jackets continue their hard play and full-on effort and winning, never quit attitude this Saturday, in whatever games come after that and then next year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, even if we had kept UNC off the board on their last drive and won that game, we would still HAVE TO WIN this Saturday to make the playoff. So, in that sense, nothing has really changed.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is why for me it was so excruciating to have to watch our young starting QB deal with refs trying to destroy his self-confidence by having completely jobbed him over on two b.s. and pivotal "fumble" calls last Saturday.

It was heartbreaking watching him on that bench, knowing there was nothing he could do. The thing is the team did for him what he did for the team earlier in the season...they had his back and together they all brought home the win! There was a very specific moment going into OT where Synjyn was standing behind JeT talking to him. I can just imagine the conversation going something like this: "You had our back earlier this season now just know that we have yours. Don't worry, we got this." The rest is history.

I know I have said this before but it is worth saying again - I LOVE THIS TEAM!