The Conundrum

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We are finally making DC sweat again on how to stop this O. Over the past 5 games, we have seen varying styles "boxers" on defense:
Miami making the decision to take out the head (JT) wishing the body would fall
VT being tactical showing us different looks hoping our young QB would make a mistake
The first 3 teams doing there best rope-a-dope hoping we make a mental mistake that they could capitalize on.

For the most part, none of those styles have worked. So I guess the question is, what do you expect to see from here on out from opposing defenses or what style would you use to go to combat vs. us?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
the most common form, and VT, Miami, Tulane and even GA Southern ran it against us is a 4-3 look with a DEEP MLB a 2tech DT, and a OLB that walks to a 30tech or not, may back off, with a 2deep shell on the backend, although VT ran more man free.

But the front 7 alignment has been VERY similar 3 games now and tech is getting used to it. Now each team has tried various tweaks off that alignment....but in general our blocking assignments have become very repetitive. We are still missing too many blocks at LG...Braun needs to get a quicker first step.

I expect to see a continued alignment....i really do. the 4-3 look we see almost looks like our Offensive formation...with the MLB deep and the OLB at tad closer....the concept is to give the MLB room to make the stop and not get cut or scooped...it kinda doesn't work LOL. Because we just BB them to death for 4-5 yards a hit. They are looking for us to make a mistake...and when we don't its a slow motherf-----------ing death march.

BTW, why can't the band play the DEATH MARCH song during the offensive drives when we are grinding? that would be so damn cool. can someone suggest this to the band director

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The best defense against our offense, IMO, is an opposing team having a great offense themselves. Combine that with great athletes on defense that can limit the damage of our offense and keep us off the field. By that, I mean our defense has made some pretty key stops but we haven't really played a juggernaut offense that puts pressure on our own offense to score against a good defense. We haven't really played outside of CPJ's comfort zone.

I think Eric is right...Clemson will pose exactly the kind of team that could spell trouble for us. They've got fantastic guys on defense that can cut us off sideline to sideline, they have a DL that's big and athletic. But the biggest concern is Clemson's offense has become a juggernaut with DeShaun Watson pulling the trigger. They will put up points in bunches, and GT's offense may have to get away from our comfort zone and match them point for point. Can we do it? It's going to be fun to find out.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't this the same scenario in 2011?
Or closely the same.
ClemPson comes to ATL being the huge favorite against an unproven team and we smack them in the face???

I'm liking the way the stars are lining up for that game in november!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The team I still think is going to give us the most problems is Clemson.

They have never stopped our offense, thats going to be an interesting game for sure. Maybe i'm wrong but their talent on offense seems a little down this year...

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If you are going to stop the TO you will have to either commit the safeties to the edge leaving the corners on an island, or have a DTs that is nasty enough to beat the guard blocks. The only way you can play coverage and stop the dive is beat the OGs inside with your DTs.

I think that is what Miami tried to do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
the most common form, and VT, Miami, Tulane and even GA Southern ran it against us is a 4-3 look with a DEEP MLB a 2tech DT, and a OLB that walks to a 30tech or not, may back off, with a 2deep shell on the backend, although VT ran more man free.

But the front 7 alignment has been VERY similar 3 games now and tech is getting used to it. Now each team has tried various tweaks off that alignment....but in general our blocking assignments have become very repetitive. We are still missing too many blocks at LG...Braun needs to get a quicker first step.

I expect to see a continued alignment....i really do. the 4-3 look we see almost looks like our Offensive formation...with the MLB deep and the OLB at tad closer....the concept is to give the MLB room to make the stop and not get cut or scooped...it kinda doesn't work LOL. Because we just BB them to death for 4-5 yards a hit. They are looking for us to make a mistake...and when we don't its a slow motherf-----------ing death march.

BTW, why can't the band play the DEATH MARCH song during the offensive drives when we are grinding? that would be so damn cool. can someone suggest this to the band director
That is a great idea on the death march music. I love it!

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I am answering the OP's question.

At some point, Miami should have tried something different. Stack the box. Leave the WR 1:1 and make JT throw the ball. If it were me, I'd make Tech throw.

/

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Duke has defended us as well as anyone the past several years, imo - as well or better than Miami, Clemson, ugag, etc. We have had to resort to things outside of our bread and butter to score on them often times. Either dominant WR's or the diamond last year or even the famous flea-flicker to the OT Beno play to preserve the win. Pitt also did a good job defending us last year. So, I'd say we'll need to bring our A-game to beat the next 3 teams, just like we had to do last night.

I think with JT, it will just make it much more difficult to stop us for any team. And, even more than that, as long as Laskey and the OL do what they did last night, it won't matter what the defense does. That makes us unstoppable.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
You have to try what the U did and focus on Thomas. You can't let him beat you. Of course that leaves Laskey and the A backs some freedom if we cash in. Every team from now on will not let JT beat them on the ground.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW I think UM had the best plan and executed it well. They just didn't get any TOs out of us. No pitches rolling on the ground, no botched MESHs, nothing. VT had the most complicated scheme, but I think it would be really hard to teach it to a team in a weeks time.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think I would kind of take a page out of our own defensive book... play conservative, a little like Miami, most of the time, make us run a lot of plays, then change something in a key situation to make something happen. Do a cross charge and have the OLB take the dive every time, and then give the same look, seeming like the OLB is going to take the BB, then have him run right by the BB and take the QB and have the DE go straight to the pitch from the get-go. That covers everybody and has a good chance at stopping us for a loss. It wouldn't work often, maybe twice per game, so you'd have to pick your spots. (This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds.)