The "Collins effect "........

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The young men are listening to the message...and they are buying in 100%:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...me-from-letting-pride/Y3MfJb2kSODQTbo4SgmqzM/

“At first, it was kind of hard (to accept being on special teams) just being so competitive, but you have to look at the bigger picture,” he said. “The success of the team means more than anything that I accomplish individually. That’s something I’m going to take with me no matter what. I’m always going to have that ‘next man up’ mentality.”

GT fans need to get on board like the players.

GTFLETCH

Banned

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...me-from-letting-pride/Y3MfJb2kSODQTbo4SgmqzM/

“At first, it was kind of hard (to accept being on special teams) just being so competitive, but you have to look at the bigger picture,” he said. “The success of the team means more than anything that I accomplish individually. That’s something I’m going to take with me no matter what. I’m always going to have that ‘next man up’ mentality.”

This is good to hear... The Defense is improving!! Hopefully we can get back to a Bowl next year with a year of CGC recruited players coming in

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I wish I could agree. I really do.

But let's look at this objectively. You're on the special teams and you want to play. What do you say? That the coaching is under par and that you are not sure why you are being relegatred to spot duty? I think not. You "buy into the program" and say what you think the coaches want to hear. I never had to do this during my career, but that's because I was a productive researcher, a good teacher (ahem), and my wife is a top-drawer labor attorney. But Jackson is not in my position nor are the rest of the players. I have no doubt that some of them have fully brought into the "new culture' (whatever that is) and are presenting the best face they can on their situation. I also have no doubt that some of the players are unsure about our direction - we are losing - and are afraid to speak up. Whatever else you can say for Collins, he doesn't seem like a guy who wants to hear much dissent from anyone on his team or his staff. It is his way or the highway. To some extent, of course, all coaches are like this, but Collins seems to have a "vision" of control that is more comprehensive then most.

He's not alone on this. I worked for someone like him for years and we butted heads continuously. I was pretty invulnerable (see above) and I enjoyed it. We can only hope that things work out in the end. And they very well might; it isn't as if there aren't plenty of execs out there who work like this and are successful. They're as common as pigs in the woods. But we need to take what the players say, especially to the press, with a grain of salt.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I also have no doubt that some of the players are unsure about our direction - we are losing - and are afraid to speak up. Whatever else you can say for Collins, he doesn't seem like a guy who wants to hear much dissent from anyone on his team or his staff. It is his way or the highway. To some extent, of course, all coaches are like this, but Collins seems to have a "vision" of control that is more comprehensive then most.

I have seen the uber control guys and worked for 1 or a brief stint. The one thing that Collins does that I don't think a true control freak would ever do - he let's his coaches and players talk freely to the media. Other coaches restrict access. The guy who I had the misfortune to work for tried to funnel all communication with corporate through him. Of course, the operation was too large and complex for that but he always tried to find out about every outside communication because he did not want any variation going up the ladder from his BS.

I think Collins has worked hard to find people with similar values and ideals to himself but his coaches don't appear to be under constraint or spewing rehearsed lines when doing pressers as far as I can tell. There is some common vocabulary and themes but I believe this to be true in any organization.

As far as 100% player buy in, I don't think that ever happens. In my experience there is always a handful of guys who aren't playing that dislike the coach. Happens on every single team.

Animal02

Banned
I wish I could agree. I really do.

But let's look at this objectively. You're on the special teams and you want to play. What do you say? That the coaching is under par and that you are not sure why you are being relegatred to spot duty? I think not. You "buy into the program" and say what you think the coaches want to hear. I never had to do this during my career, but that's because I was a productive researcher, a good teacher (ahem), and my wife is a top-drawer labor attorney. But Jackson is not in my position nor are the rest of the players. I have no doubt that some of them have fully brought into the "new culture' (whatever that is) and are presenting the best face they can on their situation. I also have no doubt that some of the players are unsure about our direction - we are losing - and are afraid to speak up. Whatever else you can say for Collins, he doesn't seem like a guy who wants to hear much dissent from anyone on his team or his staff. It is his way or the highway. To some extent, of course, all coaches are like this, but Collins seems to have a "vision" of control that is more comprehensive then most.

He's not alone on this. I worked for someone like him for years and we butted heads continuously. I was pretty invulnerable (see above) and I enjoyed it. We can only hope that things work out in the end. And they very well might; it isn't as if there aren't plenty of execs out there who work like this and are successful. They're as common as pigs in the woods. But we need to take what the players say, especially to the press, with a grain of salt.
Lots of successful used car salesmen out there as well.....some people are gullible and believe anything they say.;)