The Case for Ted Roof

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree, but should we make the playoffs and especially the championship game, it'll be all but impossible to keep this staff intact.

Why? Who's gonna leave? What school is gonna be big enough for CPJ to leave that also wants the spread option? Why would Roof leave his alma mater after he's already been around the HC/DC circuit and with it looking like his sons are going to play for Tech? Sure we might lose some assistants, but we have possibly the best HC/OC/DC security in the country.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
Do does he not remember a guy named groh who hand picked his defense, not sure cpj had any influence on the 3-4 gurus choice if who got offered. I for one loved the hire, it took us out of the 3-4 which I dint think we had the personnel to run, I was just happy for a change, and when I watched some penn film they got better every year, he is from ga, went to high school in ga, went to tech balled, that was good enough for me

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
A nugget - Ted makes a lot more now than he did as head coach at PUKE! Believe me, he wants to be here. He is a great fit for our school and our team.
SkyBuzz

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A nugget - Ted makes a lot more now than he did as head coach at PUKE! Believe me, he wants to be here. He is a great fit for our school and our team.
SkyBuzz
Well, you know it was a long time ago, and salaries skyrocketed in a decade.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do does he not remember a guy named groh who hand picked his defense, not sure cpj had any influence on the 3-4 gurus choice if who got offered. I for one loved the hire, it took us out of the 3-4 which I dint think we had the personnel to run, I was just happy for a change, and when I watched some penn film they got better every year, he is from ga, went to high school in ga, went to tech balled, that was good enough for me
Being in a 3-4 wasn't the problem for our personnel. The problem was not having the guy in the middle that could play 2-gap, like Groh wanted. I think you'll see many times this year, where appropriate, our defensive scheme aligned in a 3-4 with the middle guy playing a 1-gap technique.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Why? Who's gonna leave? What school is gonna be big enough for CPJ to leave that also wants the spread option? Why would Roof leave his alma mater after he's already been around the HC/DC circuit and with it looking like his sons are going to play for Tech? Sure we might lose some assistants, but we have possibly the best HC/OC/DC security in the country.

I seriously doubt that PJ will go anywhere, but he'll deservedly get another raise and extension. As much as Ted loves GT, he won't turn down an opportunity to go to a big name school to head up his own program...unless he gets "head coach in waiting" status and PJ tells him a reasonable time frame.

But by staff, I was including the other very important cogs in the team's success; end up in the playoffs and McCollum, Speed, Cook, Pelton, etc. will have opportunities to take promotions and raises from other teams looking to emulate GT success.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I seriously doubt that PJ will go anywhere, but he'll deservedly get another raise and extension. As much as Ted loves GT, he won't turn down an opportunity to go to a big name school to head up his own program...unless he gets "head coach in waiting" status and PJ tells him a reasonable time frame.

But by staff, I was including the other very important cogs in the team's success; end up in the playoffs and McCollum, Speed, Cook, Pelton, etc. will have opportunities to take promotions and raises from other teams looking to emulate GT success.
It probably is inevitable, even desirable, that here and there a coach will move on. Shows other teams have interest in the people, no matter what system they may run. A good football coach can coach good football.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Being in a 3-4 wasn't the problem for our personnel. The problem was not having the guy in the middle that could play 2-gap, like Groh wanted. I think you'll see many times this year, where appropriate, our defensive scheme aligned in a 3-4 with the middle guy playing a 1-gap technique.
This.