The Case for Ted Roof

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure of that. If someone offers him a huge increase, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. That doesn't mean he's not happy here, or that he's looking to leave, but I'll bet even CTR has his price.

No amount of money will make you happy. Yes it sure as hell helps keep your stress levels down but when you're a millionaire in a great city at your alma mater and you're helping build a winning tradition again. No school will pay what it would cost to get CTR

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This cannot be emphasized enough.

There has been many discussions of the difficulties of being a SA at GT, and CTR is someone that knows exactly what Ma Tech demands of her SA's. With today's NCAA requirements and the "openness" the media (social and professional) can bring, having the background CTR has with GT is a huge advantage for him.

I agree. The other big thing to me is Roof is probably a better DC than we could otherwise get. Most coordinator positions are just stepping stone jobs, and ours doesn't pay nearly well enough to prevent someone from leaving to become a head coach or even a lateral move. Roof wants to be here and likes being here.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Wish the black watch defense would show up and frequently give us field position on shorter drives. Not sure that is possible do to the allowance of holding by ol against the DL. Still hope that with some blitz pressure our DL will get better angles so refs will make the call. During the last drive by FSU when we needed a stop the larger linemen literally grab our defensive end and threw him out of the play. Roof and pelton are doing much better than the previous dc.

Last year roof was good at making half time adjustments which always included tighter db coverage combined with 5 man rush. I think unc was roofs swag moment - after that he started calling the aggressive and riskier plays letting the players know he expected they better make the play or the next guy would be in the rotation. If Jabari has a big impact ( push and violent hands) we will see the defense step up big time and actually dominate verses mitigate and delay. I hope he unleashes it against ND!

Also he rotated more players - at one point in MSU game we had 2 true freshman db in the game - this is great for recruiting.

from the direction we were headed ( Middle Tennessee State scores again! ) we are on a great path thanks to roof .
nm

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
99% of the posters on this board love Paul Johnson. I didn't like the hire, and I still question it. Why? Not the offense, as most people would guess. Rather, the fact that Johnson had zero BCS level coaching experience when he was hired. None. Nada.

Cheerlead for Johnson all you want, but the fact is: Johnson had a losing record against FBS teams in years 3-6, when he was playing primarily with his recruits. Johnson's record in years 3-6, after Gailey's recruits were mostly gone, was worse than Gailey's record for his years 3-6--after which Gailey was fired. Johnson's inexperience as a head coach at the BCS level showed.

Something changed last year--and a big part of that something was team chemistry. This thread focuses on Ted Roof the DC. I am convinced that the change in team chemistry is due to Ted Roof. It's not just on defense--he is influencing the entire team in a positive way.

Ted Roof brings to the table what Paul Johnson doesn't--BCS level coaching experience. Since he left GT years ago, the coaches he has coached with and the stops he has made is an impressive list. His many stops taught him a lot--win or lose. He knows what it takes to win at this level.

As another poster said, he has opened recruiting doors. Johnson didn't seem to understand recruiting at this level--I am not sure why, but he wasn't getting it done. Recruiting has picked up, and Roof and Pelton (hand picked by Roof) are at the leading edge of the improvement. How many coordinators are willing to put in the recruiting effort we have seen from Roof? Not many. They think that job is for the position coaches.

Johnson and GT got lucky to get a coach--not just a DC--- of Roof's caliber. It's a good thing Ted Roof wanted to come home. I hope he stays a long time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
99% of the posters on this board love Paul Johnson. I didn't like the hire, and I still question it. Why? Not the offense, as most people would guess. Rather, the fact that Johnson had zero BCS level coaching experience when he was hired. None. Nada.

Cheerlead for Johnson all you want, but the fact is: Johnson had a losing record against FBS teams in years 3-6, when he was playing primarily with his recruits. Johnson's record in years 3-6, after Gailey's recruits were mostly gone, was worse than Gailey's record for his years 3-6--after which Gailey was fired. Johnson's inexperience as a head coach at the BCS level showed.

Something changed last year--and a big part of that something was team chemistry. This thread focuses on Ted Roof the DC. I am convinced that the change in team chemistry is due to Ted Roof. It's not just on defense--he is influencing the entire team in a positive way.

Ted Roof brings to the table what Paul Johnson doesn't--BCS level coaching experience. Since he left GT years ago, the coaches he has coached with and the stops he has made is an impressive list. His many stops taught him a lot--win or lose. He knows what it takes to win at this level.

As another poster said, he has opened recruiting doors. Johnson didn't seem to understand recruiting at this level--I am not sure why, but he wasn't getting it done. Recruiting has picked up, and Roof and Pelton (hand picked by Roof) are at the leading edge of the improvement. How many coordinators are willing to put in the recruiting effort we have seen from Roof? Not many. They think that job is for the position coaches.

Johnson and GT got lucky to get a coach--not just a DC--- of Roof's caliber. It's a good thing Ted Roof wanted to come home. I hope he stays a long time.

Aren't you the guy who was hired by a dwag to write passive aggressive troll articles on GT sports?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like him, and for all the reasons Boomer pointed out. I still believe that our lack of depth on the DL will make this year very difficult, especially with the schedule. If we end up having better D statistics this year than last, with the schedule we have, I will be satisfied. Seeing steady improvement is what I am looking for. We still have to recruit more and bigger DL's. Hopefully, that will begin to happen.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm very happy to hear the support for CTR and CPJ. I was not a fan of firing CCG and I really think that may have set us back after CPJs first year. As I have said before my belief is consistency in coaching is the most important thing in our situation. I believe that the consistency is beginning to pay off. We are not the kind of program that can make coaching changes and not be effected like some factory schools. I believe in CTR not because he is a Tech man but because of what he has consistently done and that is get the most out of what he has to work with and sign kids away from factories. Ted being a Tech man is a huge bonus. I can't wait for the kick.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Well, apparently it is not. I am disappointed because I always thought it was. You know, sure that Johnson would not have left Georgia Southern for the same job at the same level. Somebody call Navy, quick.

Also he's using BCS when he means FBS

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The BCS conferences were the 6 majors tjat had an automatic qualifier to a BCS bowl. Unless you guys are just trying to play semantics, Navy was not considered a BCS team (i.e. from one of the six automatic qualifying conferences).

Having said that, I totally disagree with his premise, but he's entitled to his opinion. I had mixed emotions when CPJ was hired, just because I didn't know if he'd be successful in recruiting. I think he's learned a lot about what it means to recruit to GT. Not only does he have to overcome the negative recruiting about his system, he's got to overcome the negative recruiting to the most academically rigorous program in D1-A. I think many coaches on this team have had to adjust to the climate.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The BCS conferences were the 6 majors tjat had an automatic qualifier to a BCS bowl. Unless you guys are just trying to play semantics, Navy was not considered a BCS team (i.e. from one of the six automatic qualifying conferences).

Having said that, I totally disagree with his premise, but he's entitled to his opinion. I had mixed emotions when CPJ was hired, just because I didn't know if he'd be successful in recruiting. I think he's learned a lot about what it means to recruit to GT. Not only does he have to overcome the negative recruiting about his system, he's got to overcome the negative recruiting to the most academically rigorous program in D1-A. I think many coaches on this team have had to adjust to the climate.
I don't disagree that he had to adjust to recruiting at GT, but not because of the "rigor" of the curriculum. Navy has a pretty substantial barrier there, too. It is the lack of diversity, if you will, in the curriculum. Navy has a wide range of majors and course offerings, GT not so much. Pretty narrowly technical and of little interest to those with little or no such inclinations. That, I think, was his adjustment.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Even allowing for Kentucky windage, 99% sounds just a tad high. It is a figure reached only in Putin's Russia or some such, with the man getting 99% of the vote but after a recount, 100% of the surviving voters.

Regardless and more seriously, views expressed on the board -- in my estimation -- get a lot more respect if the poster gives the board a bit of respect. Without question it is generally a pro-Johnson forum, but most views have some validity to them, some documentation or facts to support them, rather than merely a bombastic, curbstone declaration without basis. I am fairly sure that if Johnson starts losing you won't have to send members a telegram to get reaction. (And note you are not accused of bias. That's what an opinion is.) But "99%" is one of those "everybody says," "We all know," "biggest," "best", "worst" kind of characterizations.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I hope that CPJ and CTR keep together and when CPJ decides to step down CTR take over and promotes Mike Pelton as DC and B Cook as OC....I hope we keep both O & D Schemes!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It amazes me when ever I read someone who doubts CPJ knows what he is doing. He is steady and consistent and has built a winner wherever he has coached. It was going to take time after he got to Tech to get the house in order for all the reasons that we have rehearsed on here before involving curriculum, increased NCAA scrutiny and APR rules, negative legacies of former coaching changes, negative recruiting by other schools involving the "high school offense," cutbacks in recruiting resources and the time it takes to win the administration's trust on academic exceptions. But if his performance in the Orange Bowl did not show someone what he has been building the last few years then I don't know what to say.

As for CTR I have come around to appreciating what he is doing. I especially like the fact that he was able to take counsel from CPJ several times during the course of last season including on the issue playing less passively / tightening coverage in the secondary. I think these two coaches are a perfect match and play to each others strengths. And they both have a ton of integrity.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
CTR is poised for a break out season IMO... I am some what surprised by the critical nature of some of these posts...When was the last time GT held Ga down in the red zone to win?...and physically abused Miss State who physically went toe to toe with Alabama and LSU....(rember the embarassment at the chickfil bowl-I won't!)That physicality is sourced from CTRs personality...let him get his hard nosed recruits in...let's get positive here folks...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Aren't you the guy who was hired by a dwag to write passive aggressive troll articles on GT sports?

TIC? Or does he have a history .... I really appreciate you calling people out for what they have said in the past (mostly because you haven't called me out yet when I was wrong :barefoot:)

To me, it's just @jacketup opinion. Yes a fact or two may be wrong but he's entitled to not like CPJ. Any time this board goes like The Hive in only cheer leading is when I will go somewhere else. CPJ may have a losing record in years 3-6 against certain teams. But I'll post the facts sometime this week about how CPJ has now moved to the fourth all time GT coaching performance. Only behind Dodd, Heisman and Alexander.

I think that the overall point @jacketup made about Roof improving the entire team chemistry is probably correct. Roof's attitude has certainly done a lot more than the previous DCs under CPJ (very low bar). But it's all the coaches and players who make up the team chemistry; as we know, a thimbleful of sh!t in a barrel of wine makes a barrel of sh!t. (n)

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I love Ted Roof.

The defense attacks.

I think the defense got shell-shocked after GA Southern and didn't find their confidence until the Pitt game. They made missteps after that, but sometimes it takes a lot of leadership and effort to really pull yourself out of a rut. And they were in one. I think Ted Roof helped pull them out of it, and I also think he's been a great personality fit with CPJ.

I think we will be a playoff team this season if we stay healthy among our star players, and I think the defensive improvement will be a major reason why. I think we will see improvement because we will have the personnel to be more disruptive just out of our basic schemes. The impact JHD will have on the field and on team D morale will be immediately noticeable. Ted Roof will make it happen.

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I have know Ted since he was in high school and even helped recruit him(you could legally do that back then). We both went to Central Gwinnett and I have followed him for his entire career. I have been going to Tech games since 1965. Ted is the BEST person we could have on our staff by far for all the reasons expressed plus he really wants to be here. I know him personally and have the utmost respect and confidence in him to lead our athletes. Got to give PJ credit for getting him.

As far as his head coaching ability, I don't think the Duke experience can be used to determine that. According to a Duke insider friend of mine, he was NEVER given the support to succeed there. They didn't decide to do really support football until after he left.

Just sit back and enjoy our success and thank God Tech is here to help our team.

SkyBuzz (y)