The Big, Happy Elephant In the Room

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I know you didn’t. Was just thinking how some of the other posters here are using the last game as evidence we won’t be good. It’s crazy talk.

I probably shouldn’t have quote you just thought it was fitting to remind people that we won the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(y)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, the run game against Alcorn 2018 looked better than the run game against Alcorn 2015 when we beat them 69-something. I knew after watching the 2015 game that we had issues. We were just out-athleting them. Last Saturday was a different feel.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, the run game against Alcorn 2018 looked better than the run game against Alcorn 2015 when we beat them 69-something. I knew after watching the 2015 game that we had issues. We were just out-athleting them. Last Saturday was a different feel.
Not saying you didn’t feel that way, but I remember most of us (including myself) thinking we looked so good/talented on offense in that game that we were picking up right where we left off. I don’t know how that specific game would have shown we had issues executing on offense, but maybe I’m misremembering.

Out-athleting them doesn’t have to mean you can’t execute, it just so happened that it turned out to be the case in that game and subsequently season.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not saying you didn’t feel that way, but I remember most of us (including myself) thinking we looked so good/talented on offense in that game that we were picking up right where we left off. I don’t know how that specific game would have shown we had issues executing on offense, but maybe I’m misremembering.

Out-athleting them doesn’t have to mean you can’t execute, it just so happened that it turned out to be the case in that game and subsequently season.

Fair. And it’s always easy to look back and say you knew something in retrospect.

But I can remember a couple of specific plays (JeT’s scramble to the left pile on, a long run by Qua where the perimeter blocking was terrible and he just squirted through anyway) where I thought “oh the execution there is bad, we just made the play anyway.”

There were plays like this last Saturday, too, but not really in the RUN game. That’s my overall point. That our run game looks better, to me, than it did when blowing out the same team by a higher score.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We ran the BB at will last Saturday.

KB and JM averaged over 7 ypc.

Neither even broke a sweat, and both looked capable of toting the rock 20+ times if necessary.

GCG combo has potential to be best ever (especially when KC returns).

For all the talk of TM's passing, perimeter blocking, AB involvement, I think we are going to be able to line up and ram the ball down people's throats when we need to. And that is a beautiful thing. I bet we see that the whole first drive this weekend, especially in the FL heat...
This is a great point. Thank you for making it.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Can we announce ahead of time whether or not USF’s a real team? I’d like to know ahead of time if it’s proper to be excited or just yawn if we do well. Oftentimes I don’t find out a team is not a real team until after we’ve beaten them. Then it’s disappointing because I have to wait for a real game.

Last year they were Legit... Quentin Flowers was their JT5. Not really sure how good they are, but I'm assuming they wont just let us stroll into Raymond James Stadium and step on their faces

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Fair. And it’s always easy to look back and say you knew something in retrospect.

But I can remember a couple of specific plays (JeT’s scramble to the left pile on, a long run by Qua where the perimeter blocking was terrible and he just squirted through anyway) where I thought “oh the execution there is bad, we just made the play anyway.”

There were plays like this last Saturday, too, but not really in the RUN game. That’s my overall point. That our run game looks better, to me, than it did when blowing out the same team by a higher score.

Agreed. IIRC, coach wasn't all that happy after our first two games in 2015 either. I seem to remember a quote with the gist being " the score looks good, but the fact is we haven't blocked the mike linebacker yet this year, not once...that will be big problem starting next week." Nobody was listening, but he was exactly right, as he normally is.