The Big, Happy Elephant In the Room

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
We ran the BB at will last Saturday.

KB and JM averaged over 7 ypc.

Neither even broke a sweat, and both looked capable of toting the rock 20+ times if necessary.

GCG combo has potential to be best ever (especially when KC returns).

For all the talk of TM's passing, perimeter blocking, AB involvement, I think we are going to be able to line up and ram the ball down people's throats when we need to. And that is a beautiful thing. I bet we see that the whole first drive this weekend, especially in the FL heat...

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

Neither even broke a sweat, and both looked capable of toting the rock 20+ times if necessary.

For all the talk of TM's passing, perimeter blocking, AB involvement, I think we are going to be able to line up and ram the ball down people's throats when we need to. And that is a beautiful thing. I bet we see that the whole first drive this weekend, especially in the FL heat...

That's what made us so good towards the end of 2014, we were just handing off to Laskey/Days and getting 5 yards a pop no problem. It was beautiful to watch, if we can get close to that level it will be a fun year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With the smaller quick dlines like usf after the first half of 3rd quarter we can sub in some larger guards and tackles just like we did in 14. The game will be slower and more predictable.
Hansen, the kid from Mississippi - deffore (sic) ,Scott Morgan come to mind .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

...and IF we get Cooper back at center, we can do that against the big boys on our schedule.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
With the smaller quick dlines like usf after the first half of 3rd quarter we can sub in some larger guards and tackles just like we did in 14. The game will be slower and more predictable.
Hansen, the kid from Mississippi - deffore (sic) ,Scott Morgan come to mind .
CPJ was not pleased with the second team OL. I'm sure they heard about it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am concerned about the reads by the experienced ol. It's the first game but I hope we can start to look crisp and that was not close .

On several of the big gains the ab and wr blocks looked text book = Not engaging early, engaging to seal the play in the right direction. On a few other plays we almost clipped

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, that's one thing about a week 1 game against fcs we don't keep hammering the things that are working. Mason and Howard both got consistent yards on dives, but we went away from them to work on other things. In a game we'll just run it down their throats till they stop it or leave something else completely open because of it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let’s not get too excited yet. We could probably do that against most FCS teams. Let’s see what we do when we play teams with bigger and faster D lines.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yup, run it up the middle until we see the LB’s and safeties cheat. Then get it on the outside for home runs. If we can get that going by Clemson, we have a chance.
Per Coach qb had hard to read the hot receiver against Alcorn. I think Venables and Clemson are a major step up, so we need to be on""" all cylinders """by then .

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Success against Alcorn State is not to be taken as a predictor of success against true P-5 teams.

Let's see how we run the B Back in the next 2 weeks.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree but certainly success against Alcorn state SHOULDN’T be used to project we suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never said we sucked.

I fear that our offense may turn out like last year's where if the dive is NOT working, we got nothin'! But that is just my fear based on last year and last week's passing. TM definitely seemed to improve on pitching to the A backs when it was there, which I found encouraging.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can we announce ahead of time whether or not USF’s a real team? I’d like to know ahead of time if it’s proper to be excited or just yawn if we do well. Oftentimes I don’t find out a team is not a real team until after we’ve beaten them. Then it’s disappointing because I have to wait for a real game.
I get that. I honestly don't know about their defense, but their offense looks quite real to me.

That is, however, why I said I wanted to see how we did in the next 2 games...Pitt's defense seems likely to be a tougher test than USF's.

But, if we beat USF, I will get excited myself.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
With USF having smaller interior inside lineman, we should be looking for some more serious road grading this game. I'm hoping to see some more DL on skates like last week.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I never said we sucked.

I fear that our offense may turn out like last year's where if the dive is NOT working, we got nothin'! But that is just my fear based on last year and last week's passing. TM definitely seemed to improve on pitching to the A backs when it was there, which I found encouraging.

I know you didn’t. Was just thinking how some of the other posters here are using the last game as evidence we won’t be good. It’s crazy talk.

I probably shouldn’t have quote you just thought it was fitting to remind people that we won the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I never said we sucked.

try being cautiously optimistic instead of trepidatiously fearful.