The balance of 2016

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well we are 4 and 3 with 2 home losses. Really hate that we gave Miami that game, I really think that is one we let get away. You could say that about Pitt as well, but when you get stopped short when you need to make a yard, you really don't deserve to win. So we have proven to be a middle of the road team. I watch a lot of football and with only about 10 or so exceptions, we are about like everybody else out there playing the game.

So we have 5 games left for sure and based on what I see out of us and out of our upcoming opponents here is how I see us finishing 2016:

Duke - a close win at home. Certainly they can beat us but I think with a week off and some extra prep time we will be able to beat them by a field goal or so. It will be a nail biter because they have some confidence against us based on their recent success against us.

UNC - a close loss on the road. They run a lot of jet sweep, eye candy, fast paced crap that gives our defense real problems. They hold like hell and their QB gets the ball out in less than a second most of the time. We can score a lot of points on them but they will score more on us. I see a 10 to 14 point loss.

Virginia - another close win at home. They are not as good as us but they give us trouble most years. This will get us bowl eligible (whopee) and we can look forward to a trip to Shreveport or Birmingham. I think the defense will actually have 4 to 6 sacks in this game.

Va. Tech - I just don't see us hanging with the Hokies this year. Their QB is the kind that always gives us fits. Unless he gets hurt before we play them, I don't think we have much of a chance. They will beat us sort of like they beat Miami. 31 to 17 or so.

Georgia - I tell you they are just not a very good football team and we should beat them. I think we play with a bit more pride in Athens and I think we will finish the regular season off with a big win.

So that makes us 7 and 5 with a minor bowl trip to face some team you would never expect like Minnesota or South Florida. Bowls just don't mean as much to GT as they once did so I give us a 50/50 shot at winning it to finish either 8 and 5 on the upside or 7 and 6 on the downside.

What say you.

Go Jackets!

Jmonty71

Banned
Well we are 4 and 3 with 2 home losses. Really hate that we gave Miami that game, I really think that is one we let get away. You could say that about Pitt as well, but when you get stopped short when you need to make a yard, you really don't deserve to win. So we have proven to be a middle of the road team. I watch a lot of football and with only about 10 or so exceptions, we are about like everybody else out there playing the game.

So we have 5 games left for sure and based on what I see out of us and out of our upcoming opponents here is how I see us finishing 2016:

Duke - a close win at home. Certainly they can beat us but I think with a week off and some extra prep time we will be able to beat them by a field goal or so. It will be a nail biter because they have some confidence against us based on their recent success against us.

UNC - a close loss on the road. They run a lot of jet sweep, eye candy, fast paced crap that gives our defense real problems. They hold like hell and their QB gets the ball out in less than a second most of the time. We can score a lot of points on them but they will score more on us. I see a 10 to 14 point loss.

Virginia - another close win at home. They are not as good as us but they give us trouble most years. This will get us bowl eligible (whopee) and we can look forward to a trip to Shreveport or Birmingham. I think the defense will actually have 4 to 6 sacks in this game.

Va. Tech - I just don't see us hanging with the Hokies this year. Their QB is the kind that always gives us fits. Unless he gets hurt before we play them, I don't think we have much of a chance. They will beat us sort of like they beat Miami. 31 to 17 or so.

Georgia - I tell you they are just not a very good football team and we should beat them. I think we play with a bit more pride in Athens and I think we will finish the regular season off with a big win.

So that makes us 7 and 5 with a minor bowl trip to face some team you would never expect like Minnesota or South Florida. Bowls just don't mean as much to GT as they once did so I give us a 50/50 shot at winning it to finish either 8 and 5 on the upside or 7 and 6 on the downside.

What say you.

Go Jackets!
I think we lose all but the UVA game. With CTR leading the defense, we'll allow way too many points, too many yards and too much TOP allowed for our offense to do much. We need one of these remaining teams to fumble 2 to 3 times to have a chance at winning.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
As always with Tech, it pretty much depends upon which Tech shows up on Saturdays. We don't have the overall talent level to overcome turnovers, or when our opponent is physically superior, or when our opponent gets extra time to practice against our offensive scheme, or when we face superior defensive coaches (a la Virginia Tech), or when we have high expectations, a spotlight or are on a national stage or when any of our units - offense, defense or special teams are just having an especially bad day. In other words, pretty much everything has to go right - or at least not go bad - for us to win. That said, I think we lose to NC and VT and we eek out 2 wins among Duke, Virginia and Georgia, and end up the regular season 6 and 6.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will never feel confident about UGAg simply due to the talent disparity and psychological factor. We are playing better than them, overall, but I worry that Eason will have a field day with no pass rush.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we lose all but the UVA game. With CTR leading the defense, we'll allow way too many points, too many yards and too much TOP allowed for our offense to do much. We need one of these remaining teams to fumble 2 to 3 times to have a chance at winning.

I understand you don't like Roof, and neither do I, but you actually believe we need Duke to fumble 2 or 3 times for us to simply have a chance at winning?

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Balls took some bad bounces in all three of our losses this year. We were pretty evenly matched with Pitt and Pitt beat PSU, which beat OSU.

I hate those comparisons.
Different days, different conditions.
Anyone can be beat on any given day.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate those comparisons.
Different days, different conditions.
Anyone can be beat on any given day.
Yeah, the transitive property doesn't apply in football. It's just a fun thing to talk about, but it doesn't mean anything.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, proven science.

upload_2016-10-24_10-25-31.png

http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.c...Georgia+Tech&loser=Ohio+St&year=2016&method=2

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

What say you.

Go Jackets!
I think more so the Pitt was a winnable game in comparison to the Miami game. We didn't even give ourselves a chance on offense in the Miami game. Pitt game was dumb luck.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
We're right there with everyone else in the division, except I think the offense is right on the cusp of being very good. We will beat Duke Saturday, so we'll be 5-3.

Carolina: I'd say Carolina will be around a 7-9 pt. favorite, but we'll run all day on them, and let's remember they have a nice record, but they lost to a bad UGA team and have two wins on the last play of the game.

Virginia Tech: This game is interesting to me, because we almost always play them early. It's different to a) play them later in the season when our offense might be clicking, and b) on a regular week as opposed to a Thursday when they have a week and a half to prepare. They'll be tough, but anyone who loses to Syracuse can lose to us.

UVA: I think we'll win this one.

UGA: Say anything you want, but we're winning this game. Period.

Overall, I'd say the odds of winning out are around 1 in 8, but I would not be shocked to see us rip off four of five to close this sucker out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All I'm asking for at this point is that we get 4 one point wins.

I actually think that is possible. With the exception of UVA, I think we are pretty evenly matched up for the rest of the season. We can win against Puke, though it isn't a certainty. UNC, VT and Ugag will be hard games, but each is within the realm of possibility if we can avoid further injury on the OL. I think that's what's been holding us back. It was losing first Shamire then Klock that stopped us from further development on O. Recall that we ran for over 300 yards against Vandy (the net was less); we were on target to get really rolling. Then the injury bug bit again after already hitting hard in the pre-season; think what the OL would have been like with a healthy Griffin. So let's hope that the off week has had good results for our OL's health and see what we will see.