The Arms 2018

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I honestly really like the decision to start Hurter. Also, I think that Hughes is better suited for the pen right now, but he might get a chance during the weekday to earn a spot in the rotation.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel same way for most part. Probably too soon for English to do the customary 5+ inn start.

Could be as simple as scouting report says UIC has a little more trouble against LHPs.

Well, I'll start off positive. Curry and Thomas make a lot of sense.

But Hurter? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Could be the LHP thing.

I don't like Hurter at all to start. In two appearances over 2.2 IP (8 outs) he has faced 15 batters. He has given up 6 hits, 2 walks and 1 HBP. He does have 2 SO. So 9 of the 15 batters he has faced have reached. 10.12 ERA. Even worse, he looked that bad when I saw him pitch. I get he's a Fr and will get better. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2017-2018/teamcume.html

But maybe he is our best alternative to start on Saturday? If so, we are in deep starting pitching trouble. I'd give him 2 people on in any way (walk, HBP, hit) and then pull him. Or maybe the first batter if he walks him.

I'd start Shiraz or Archer on Saturday. Much better stats and when I've seen them pitch they are more consistent and in control.

Hopefully I am eating these words on Saturday at 4 PM. I'm sure someone will remind me when I am wrong:troll:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel same way for most part. Probably too soon for English to do the customary 5+ inn start.

Could be as simple as scouting report says UIC has a little more trouble against LHPs.
I like Hurter a lot & am glad he is getting the opportunity to grab a weekend slot. Big, strong, left handed with a lot of upside on his velo it looks like to me. Already seems to have a good offspeed as well. I am really hopeful he will grow into something really special for the Jackets

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, you get what you pay for :stinkyfeet: Thanks, I've missed him from the beginning........ Winborne is one who may step up for us.

· 10 Xzavion Curry RHP So. Great in W&G, 15 starts last year. 82.2 IP and 5.23 ERA as Fr. Overused out of necessity last year, I think could be best pitcher this year. 95 mph this year, adding slider and cutter to fastball and curve. Projected opening day starter. Only pitcher Hall sees as dominating if in a jam.
· 9 Jonathan Hughes RHP R-So. Good in W&G, 8 starts last year for 5.68 ERA in 25.1 IP. Expect much better this year as last year was first after injury year. Hughes reportedly has three pitches working now. Hasn’t regained all of velocity, but to 91-92 mph and has good slider. Hall says about 100% now.
· 9 Jared Datoc RHP Sr. Potential closer, 2nd most used pitcher last year (57.1 IP) behind Curry. Datoc is the one closer Hall seems comfortable with going into the season.
· 9 Jake Lee RHP Jr. 6 starts last year, total 51.2 IP and 6.10 ERA. Hope high ERA was due to no good alternative last year. Hall says Jake could start Tuesdays or wherever needed at end of season.
· 8 Tristin English RHP/1B R-So. Great potential if can stay healthy, but Hall says he’ll start off slow since only 12 months from Tommy John. Expect rough start as gets back into form. Fastball about 93 and quality slider.
· 7 Connor Thomas LHP So. Great in W&G. 2017 had 10.1 IP and 11.32 ERA. We'll see if he has made the jump this year. A potential starter Hall mentioned. Our “best” LHP.
· 7 Micah Carpenter RHP Jr. Potential closer mentioned second by Hall. 2017 team low 2.56 ERA in 31.2 IP.
· 7 Robert Winborne RHP Jr. As a So had 7.78 ERA in 19.2 IP. Went to Alaska “Summer” League for Anchorage Bucs and had a 1.19 ERA in 22.2 IP with 1.04 WHIP. Should be good in cold weather and as a reliever. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=200138
· 7 Keyton Gibson RHP Jr. Good in W&G. 8.10 ERA in 36.2 IP 2017. 4.40 ERA in 43.0 IP in 2016.
· 5 Ben Schniederjans RHP R-Sr. 9 starts last year. 5.06 ERA in first year back. Hall plans to limit him to 1 or 2 innings since he was inconsistent last year.
· 5 Bailey Combs RHP Jr. Potential. 2017 14 bullpen outings with 5.21 ERA, 2016 11 bullpen outings with .64 ERA. Hope high ERA was due to no good alternative last year.
· 5 Hugh Chapman RHP/C Fr. Effective starter in W&G game. One of top 3 FR potential starters Hall mentioned.
· 5 Brant Hurter LHP/1B Fr. May be back for season after broken hand. But expect to take a while to get sharp again. One of top 3 FR potential starters Hall mentioned.

· 5 Will Shirah LHP Fr. Enrolled in January, one of top 3 FR potential starters Hall mentioned. Perfect Game has him as 2017 Underclass 3rd Team. Advanced three pitch mix. Stats at http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/will-shirah/JaNtGMw1EeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/baseball-stats.htm
5 Oscar Serratos SS/ RHP Fr. In December, Hall talked about Serratos with a “Bugs Bunny Changeup” whatever that is. 94 mph fastball. Hall says may be an inning eater.
· 4 Garrett Gooden RHP So. Unknown, 2017 4.1 IP and ended year as 1B. Summer ball, 17.2 IP with 7.13 ERA. Great potential from HS. Something isn’t right with him.
· 4 Andy Archer RHP So. Limited 2017, 9.1 IP and 4.82 ERA
· · 3 Jake Brace RHP Fr. Ranked as high as 15 RHP in Ga and 293 in US. by Perfect Game. He is a legacy, so I like him.
· 2 Patrick Wiseman LHP /IF L-R Sr. Injured last year. First two years pitched total of 10.0 innings
· 1 Jay Shadday LHP So. Out for at least year with Tommy John
· 1 Joseph Mannelly 1B/OF/ LHP Fr. Primarily a 1B in HS which was his ranking area by PG.
· 1 Cole Neuber RHP/OF Fr. Primarily a OF in HS which was his ranking area by PG.
· 1 Cameron Turley C/IF/ RHP Fr. Not really pitcher but listed on roster as one.

Here's how our pitchers have done compared to my sophomoric guesses preseason:

Met or Exceeded My Expectations (>=5):

Curry, English, Thomas (+), Carpenter (10 IP), Winborne (15.1 IP), Hurter (+), Combs (7.1 IP)

Greatly Exceeded My Expectations (<5):
Archer

Didn't meet my expectations (>=5):
Hughes, Datoc, Lee, Gibson, Ben S, Chapman, Shirah (probably oversold given how young he is), Serratos (didn't expect a lot of innings, only has 3.1).

My point is that once again, we have had a lot of disappointments in pitching. Others can provide their own lists of expectations (mine were largely based on last year stats and what Hall said preseason).

But overall it seems our pitchers outside of the few top performers should have done a lot better. We desperately need English to be coming back after the draft. Unfortunately for him, the Wake performance (4.29 current ERA) and arm soreness make a great draft position less likely. But what about relievers next year?