The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Money. Keep up.
I was talking about money. Airlines have lost over 300 billion in ticket sales. Google and Facebook are losing over 40 billion in ad revenue. Disney last lost nearly 2 billion in revenue. Hawaii is almost completely built on tourism which has completely stopped leading to 35% unemployment. Explain again why so many have suffered so much worse financially but we should make a special case and all pack in together for College Football so that millions aren't lost.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't be mad at him. He is just answering the question of the thread. I feel the same way, that too much money is at stake. The deaths, all of them are terrible, but no way will colleges or the tiny towns survive with out the massive influx of money from football games. Season tickets, single tickets, game day tickets, bookstore sales, concession sales, parking sales, program sales etc. All about the Benjamins Baby.

[RANT]I am not mad. These statements say a lot about our society and values in the US.

Part of the statement is "Money > Humanity." In other countries this is less true. In the US, if you have money great, if not, good luck to you. I believe that many people here take pride in the "fact" that many people around the world admire and want to come to the US. At the moment our behavior is less attractive and that is not a good thing.

Part of the statement is that we are lazy (or even worse greedy). As Red said we haven't taken the necessary steps to curtain the virus. Do economics matter, of course. But at times it certainly feels that the rich are very willing to have the poor pay for their comfort. [/RANT OVER]

Milwaukee

Banned
I was talking about money. Airlines have lost over 300 billion in ticket sales. Google and Facebook are losing over 40 billion in ad revenue. Disney last lost nearly 2 billion in revenue. Hawaii is almost completely built on tourism which has completely stopped leading to 35% unemployment. Explain again why so many have suffered so much worse financially but we should make a special case and all pack in together for College Football so that millions aren't lost.

They’ll recover with bailouts. College towns would go under. Stop overthinking this thing that’s right in front of you.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
[RANT]I am not mad. These statements say a lot about our society and values in the US.

Part of the statement is "Money > Humanity." In other countries this is less true. In the US, if you have money great, if not, good luck to you. I believe that many people here take pride in the "fact" that many people around the world admire and want to come to the US. At the moment our behavior is less attractive and that is not a good thing.

Part of the statement is that we are lazy (or even worse greedy). As Red said we haven't taken the necessary steps to curtain the virus. Do economics matter, of course. But at times it certainly feels that the rich are very willing to have the poor pay for their comfort. [/RANT OVER]

You lose faith in humans when you think too hard about it. Humans have advanced so far in terms of technology and civilization, but we've sold our souls in the process. The more advanced and developed a nation is, the worse our base desires and greed has become.

Milwaukee

Banned

Everything you say here is correct. Buck up. Get rich or watch other people get rich. This is America.
If you don’t like our culture then Chaz/Chop is open, but you should hurry they won’t be open long.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am amazed that us season ticket holders have gotten no direction at all
I need to add something from what I said a few minutes ago ( would help if we could have a little more time to do it ) . I'm sure this is a nightmare for Tech they have to wait tell they hear how many fans they can have in the Stadium. Do they have to keep them 6 foot apart. Lets assume the a few go to the students and the players parents but how many can each player get for their parents , 1 ,2 more if they have brothers and sisters. After that they would know how many season ticket holders would get. But wait you bought 4 tickets for your family , do you still have to be 6 foot apart. If not then they have to look at the seating chart for the stadium and see where the next group can seat and be 6 foot apart. This would be a nightmare and if you could have 20,000 how much would this change if those 4 can seat together. Also very few would get the seats they paid for you got tickets on the 40 row 25 but now you are on the 10. Do you get your money back that you paid to be on the 40. I can understand we have not heard from them cause they don't know. What we need to hope is they have about 10 plans to look at have they know. If not you will have a mess . In their case no fans would be easy but they lose money and possible fans in the future. Best case they are told you can only have x number of fans and leave it up to them to stay 6 foot apart ( which would not work cause again you have people moving to other areas and it could be someone's seats.

All those companies you named can suck up big losses like that and not blink an eye. Small colleges in small towns will likely go under if they don't have any revenue from football. Most P5 programs can pretty much suck it up, but it will definitely hurt programs like Tech, Vandy, Wake, and a slew of other P5 programs with smaller fan bases.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lol these “outbreaks” you speak of are not killing more people. You’ve been wrong from the jump 3 months ago on this whole thing, stop being duped. You write your posts well though.

It is likely to kill more people going forward. Deaths stopped decreasing today, avg moved back up slightly nationally. in FL they had their highest reported deaths today since June 2nd. Deaths are the greatest trailing indicator and will go up later than cases and hospitalizations - which have been increasing across the SE and SW for a couple of weeks.

We are likely to be at over 175K deaths by October 1st.

The ones being duped are the ones that think things are over or that you can simply improve the economy by 'reopening' without dealing with the health crisis at the same time. They have to be solved together.
Restaurant dining in Houston has declined by 50% in less than a week due to the increasing cases there (there are no mandatory stay at home orders forcing people not to go to restaurants, though they are now sending adult patients to the ICU at Texas Children's Hospital as overflow) - but feel free to live in your alternate reality bubble where none of this supposedly exists. I'm sure that is why the European Union is currently looking at banning Americans from travelling to their countries - because nothing is going on in the United States, or why Canada won't loosen restrictions at the border between the 2 countries.

I'll leave with this, Novak Dojokovic the #1 ranked tennis player in the world decided to hold a tournament with people the last few weeks. He tested positive this week - the fourth player to do so, and some spectators have also tested positive, here was his statement today
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/tennis-champ-novak-djokovic-tests-positive-covid-19/story?id=71401206
"I am so deeply sorry our tournament has caused harm."
"Everything the organizers and I did the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions. We believed the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good condition to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons," he said. "We were wrong and it was too soon. I can’t express enough how sorry I am for this and every case of infection."
"If you attended Adria Tour or were around any attendees please get tested and practice social distancing."

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
All those companies you named can suck up big losses like that and not blink an eye. Small colleges in small towns will likely go under if they don't have any revenue from football. Most P5 programs can pretty much suck it up, but it will definitely hurt programs like Tech, Vandy, Wake, and a slew of other P5 programs with smaller fan bases.
True, they can weather the storm more than most, although they are taking the biggest hits. But on the other hand, a program like GT obviously can weather the storm better than fishing and snorkeling companies in Hawaii as well. College towns aren’t going to get hit any harder than touristy towns yet there is no outcry that we need to all get together and go on vacation to save them. It feels a bit like self interest because we love college football so much. For those who don’t care about college football imagine how ridiculous it sounds to say we need to have 50k+ people shoulder to shoulder every Saturday during a pandemic or it will hurt our business.

True, they can weather the storm more than most, although they are taking the biggest hits. But on the other hand, a program like GT obviously can weather the storm better than fishing and snorkeling companies in Hawaii as well. College towns aren’t going to get hit any harder than touristy towns yet there is no outcry that we need to all get together and go on vacation to save them. It feels a bit like self interest because we love college football so much. For those who don’t care about college football imagine how ridiculous it sounds to say we need to have 50k+ people shoulder to shoulder every Saturday during a pandemic or it will hurt our business.
Actually, there has been an outcry about small touristy towns losing all their income too.

Milwaukee

Banned
It is likely to kill more people going forward. Deaths stopped decreasing today, avg moved back up slightly nationally. in FL they had their highest reported deaths today since June 2nd. Deaths are the greatest trailing indicator and will go up later than cases and hospitalizations - which have been increasing across the SE and SW for a couple of weeks.

We are likely to be at over 175K deaths by October 1st.

The ones being duped are the ones that think things are over or that you can simply improve the economy by 'reopening' without dealing with the health crisis at the same time. They have to be solved together.
Restaurant dining in Houston has declined by 50% in less than a week due to the increasing cases there (there are no mandatory stay at home orders forcing people not to go to restaurants, though they are now sending adult patients to the ICU at Texas Children's Hospital as overflow) - but feel free to live in your alternate reality bubble where none of this supposedly exists. I'm sure that is why the European Union is currently looking at banning Americans from travelling to their countries - because nothing is going on in the United States, or why Canada won't loosen restrictions at the border between the 2 countries.

I'll leave with this, Novak Dojokovic the #1 ranked tennis player in the world decided to hold a tournament with people the last few weeks. He tested positive this week - the fourth player to do so, and some spectators have also tested positive, here was his statement today
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/tennis-champ-novak-djokovic-tests-positive-covid-19/story?id=71401206
"I am so deeply sorry our tournament has caused harm."
"Everything the organizers and I did the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions. We believed the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good condition to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons," he said. "We were wrong and it was too soon. I can’t express enough how sorry I am for this and every case of infection."
"If you attended Adria Tour or were around any attendees please get tested and practice social distancing."

Sounds good. You can continue to live in your bubble due to a virus with a 99% survival rate and we’ll catch you on the other side.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Without college football, towns like Starkville, Oxford and Auburn cease to exist.
You expect all residents and businesses in those cities, along with the Universities themselves to pack up shop and move somewhere else because of 7 Saturday’s of missed local revenue?

Milwaukee

Banned

The mayor of Tuscaloosa said they would lose 2 billion (with a B) dollars if there were no season. You don’t have to trust me, but just listen to what I’m telling you. We’re playing football this season.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The mayor of Tuscaloosa said they would lose 2 billion (with a B) dollars if there were no season. You don’t have to trust me, but just listen to what I’m telling you. We’re playing football this season.
Yeah, that mayor doesn’t sound like the sharpest tool in the shed.