The ACC in the NCAA Brackets

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Something I've been wondering about for the past few years...

Does the NCAA Selection committee intentionally cram as many ACC teams into as few Regions as possible to avoid the possibility of an all-ACC final four?

This year, Notre Dame and Duke are in the same bottom half of the west while UNC and VT are in the East. And why is ND (11) NOT in the Midwest? And Loyola-Chicago (11) and Michigan (10) travel to the south while Miami (10) gets sent to the Midwest. Does the committee want to minimize the number of fans who will travel to the games?

Okay...I know that a lower rated team might have to travel, but why not have at least one ACC team in each region? No ACC team is seeded in the South Regional. Um...where is the ACC located primarily?

In years past, when we sent 8-9 teams to the dance, I thought the seeding was WORSE with multiple ACC teams facing each other in early rounds. It was like replaying the ACC tournament but for bigger stakes.

Is it like this for all the Conferences? Or is there some anti-ACC thing at work?

Last edited:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I was editing and time expired...so here is what I preferred to post:

Something I've been wondering about for the past few years...

Does the NCAA Selection committee intentionally cram as many ACC teams into as few Regions as possible to avoid the possibility of an all-ACC final four?

This year, Notre Dame and Duke are in the same bottom half of the west while UNC and VT are in the East. No ACC team is seeded in the South Regional. Um...where is the ACC located primarily?

And why is ND (11) NOT in the Midwest? And Loyola-Chicago (11) and Michigan (10) travel to the south while Miami (10) gets sent to the Midwest (played where? Greenville?). Oh, and the venues...since when are San Diego, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis considered Southern cities?

Okay...I know that a lower rated team might have to travel, but why not have at least one ACC team in each region?

In years past, when we sent 8-9 teams to the dance, I thought the seeding was WORSE with multiple ACC teams facing each other in early rounds. It was like replaying the ACC tournament but for bigger stakes.

Is it like this for all the Conferences? Or is there some anti-ACC thing at work?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are actually alot of bracketing rules that have to be followed and the Region is much less important that what city a school is sent to - For instance Duke is in the West Region but is playing its first weekend games in Greenville, SC.

If you want to see how complex here is the NCAA site on it

The committee first has to come up with the field of 68 teams on an S curve and then bracket them by all the principles laid out.