The 1985 Fog Bowl -- complete game

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
The final game played in Grant Field's old horseshoe configuration, against UGA. In 1984, Tech hadn't won over UGA in 7 straight seasons but finally got a big blowout victory over the Dawgs in Athens -- perhaps one of the biggest wins in Tech program history and the game that started the tradition of breaking off pieces of the hedges after a win. The 1985 game made it two in a row over Georgia, but this game was much more tightly contested, and the outcome wasn't entirely certain till near the end. This game is famous for the fog that rolled in during the 2nd half as well as the brilliant kick return by Gary Lee that changed the momentum of the game. Other featured players are Ted Roof, John Dewberry, Pat Swilling, Sammy Lilly & Nate Kelsey, the latter scoring his first college TD during the game (he suffered a vicious out of bounds hit in the 2nd half and had to leave).

For about 38 minutes of this recording, the sound and video do not match up properly, but it's still enjoyable...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I had forgotten how early bowl invites went out back then. Both teams already knew where they were bowling.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in Tennessee playing in a junior football tournament. A couple of coaches drove back to Atlanta for the game and returned in the middle of the night and woke most of our team to tell us the good guys won. We went out the next morning and destroyed some team from Ohio.

This brings great memories....thanks for sharing.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I was in Tennessee playing in a junior football tournament. A couple of coaches drove back to Atlanta for the game and returned in the middle of the night and woke most of our team to tell us the good guys won. We went out the next morning and destroyed some team from Ohio.

This brings great memories....thanks for sharing.

Was the tournament in Gatlinburg?

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Lower East stands... Awesome game... What a night...

I miss football uniforms with sleeves - and that don't look like some superhero outfit...

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Just out of curiosity, why did they tear down the south stands? I never attended a Tech football game until I started school in 1988, so they were gone by the time I got there.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Made way for the Wardlaw Center... Reduced capacity by a fair amount, but they were already pretty bad seats - the horseshoe meant they were low and far removed from the field...

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Just out of curiosity, why did they tear down the south stands? I never attended a Tech football game until I started school in 1988, so they were gone by the time I got there.

Made way for the Wardlaw Center... Reduced capacity by a fair amount, but they were already pretty bad seats - the horseshoe meant they were low and far removed from the field...
Thanks!

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Plus that section of the stadium was in really bad shape....bordering on unsafe if I remember correctly. It was never full and seldom even occupied except when we played Auburn, Tennessee or the dwags.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I saw my first game in the horseshoe. Clemson '84. We won 28 - 24 for one of our 4 wins that year. Took a tour of the old Textile Engineering Building as a high school senior and got free football tickets. Got to hear Frank Howard give a talk. Now that guy knew how to give a talk. Funny guy.