That's A Wrap...

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
When Paul got here he turned an irrelevant team to being relevant. Now we're right back to where we began. Even with all the restrictions the city of Atlanta should be a big enough draw for student athletes in my opinion to be a 8-9 win team every year. I just don't think Paul can do it like I did in the beginning. He doesn't seem to get recruiting and today's athletes. A Navy and Tech recruit are very different.

"...to be a 8-9 win team every year."

And ya know Jacket, moving from 7 wins to 8 is not asking for a miracle, just one more win. Couple of more play makers than we have at present. Say a Myles Autry or a Rodgers just to pick two of the possibles.

And to get to 9 wins probably requires a much better OL and DL than we have had the last few years. Last years class with Devine and Griffin was a nice step for the OL. And hopefully Commissiong and Adkins will do that out of last years class for the DL.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Been saying it on three other boards....If we are going to run the option we must find option players.We need a Tracy Ham or a J.C Watts or a Greg Pruitt or any speed back and yet we dont have them yet..Get a true option guy who can throw a little and read and we will be better.I am afraid though folks are getting wise to our scheme...........Today though was upset with defense against the run and pass.Saw too much arm tackling in the secondary and give Dave W credit he figured out what we were going to do and pretty much handled us.........bad day at black rock !

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
As I have always stated about vad since I first saw him plAy in a tech uniform, he throws off of his back foot every single throw, doesn't matter if he's under duress or not. In doing this every throw is never going to be as good as if he stepped into it with good form. When you throw off your back foot as any one that has plAyed the QB position or coached, the ball loses velocity and will sail high. Vad relies on his natural arm talent and has never developed his mechanics on his passing. He even went and did that qb camp with Whitfield and nothing changed, waste of money?? I think so.

PJ obvioUsly has worked with him on his footwork in the option game but not in the passing game which is because I don't think it's a priority for PJ as no qb since he's been here improved their throwing mechanics (Nesbitt, tevin, vad) it's just learn the option footwork and then chunk the ball downfield.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
As I have always stated about vad since I first saw him plAy in a tech uniform, he throws off of his back foot every single throw, doesn't matter if he's under duress or not. In doing this every throw is never going to be as good as if he stepped into it with good form. When you throw off your back foot as any one that has plAyed the QB position or coached, the ball loses velocity and will sail high. Vad relies on his natural arm talent and has never developed his mechanics on his passing. He even went and did that qb camp with Whitfield and nothing changed, waste of money?? I think so.

PJ obvioUsly has worked with him on his footwork in the option game but not in the passing game which is because I don't think it's a priority for PJ as no qb since he's been here improved their throwing mechanics (Nesbitt, tevin, vad) it's just learn the option footwork and then chunk the ball downfield.

I mean even if PJ doesn't what's the QB coach doing then??? Seems like that would be something to work on considering how much we threw it this year.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I mean even if PJ doesn't what's the QB coach doing then??? Seems like that would be something to work on considering how much we threw it this year.
This was Coach Cook's first year. This was also Vad's first year with Coach Cook... or Vad's first year without Coach Bohannon.

I imagine CBC has had a bit of a learning curve coaching under CPJ. I also imagine it couldn't have been simple for our QBs to have had to get acclimated to a new position coach.

Last edited:
Vad made a lot of friends in the backfield this year. Never seen an offensive line with such inconsistent play. CPJ better hope Custis is the next Dwyer. His job depends on it. Want to see Custis, Andrews and Days starting in the backfield. Griffin and Devine starting on o-line. Devine is way too talented to sit on the bench in favor of the guards we have now. If we can block we can win.

I saw a close-up of Devine-#71 when the ESPN cameras panned on the GT sideline, he doesn't look like he has lost enough weight to make a serious run at starting next year, IMO he looked like he was in really poor shape, he had a lot extra around the mid -section.

His poor condition when he reported caused him to be RS'd this year.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, after a poor night's rest (I live overseas and stayed up to watch the game), all I can say is...wow, that was frustrating. We had every opportunity to win that game. Ole Miss played poorly, and somehow, we played even more poorly. More missed blocks, more cornerback cushions, more poor fundamentals. I know our guys played hard, and I appreciate that...but something is just off when the same mistakes are happening again and again.

I have stood behind CPJ and will continue to do so as long as he is our coach, but where did the old CPJ go? Where is the creativity? It seemed to me that we called the same 5 plays over and over. The toss worked the first five times and then they started bringing guys to the edge, no more toss. Since we can't run the option, we are left with the dive and a slooooow-developing counter play, or the pass, and by "the pass" I mean everybody run fast straight ahead and I'll throw it up. Everything seems so slow and obvious. Sometimes watch espn would stop as we were starting a play, and I knew exactly where it was going and what the result would be. And I am no coach. Something is amiss.

I liked the first down throw to Waller after the interception. Well-timed and well-executed. Besides that, I cannot remember one other play that was well-timed and well-executed. The reverse was a good call, but the timing was poor. You don't run it at your own 15 after you have been mercifully given a chance to take the momentum and the game.

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
I liked the first down throw to Waller after the interception. Well-timed and well-executed. Besides that, I cannot remember one other play that was well-timed and well-executed. The reverse was a good call, but the timing was poor. You don't run it at your own 15 after you have been mercifully given a chance to take the momentum and the game.

The thing I didn't like about the reverse is that it came right after we had just blown up their flea flicker/reverse/whatever the hell that play was supposed to be. I'm no coach, but when the other team gets their trick play blown up, I would think it's not the best time to call a trick play of your own, especially if it's eerily similar to the one they just ran.

Also, why not run it with Smelter or Godhigh?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well, after a poor night's rest (I live overseas and stayed up to watch the game), all I can say is...wow, that was frustrating. We had every opportunity to win that game. Ole Miss played poorly, and somehow, we played even more poorly. More missed blocks, more cornerback cushions, more poor fundamentals. I know our guys played hard, and I appreciate that...but something is just off when the same mistakes are happening again and again.

I have stood behind CPJ and will continue to do so as long as he is our coach, but where did the old CPJ go? Where is the creativity? It seemed to me that we called the same 5 plays over and over. The toss worked the first five times and then they started bringing guys to the edge, no more toss. Since we can't run the option, we are left with the dive and a slooooow-developing counter play, or the pass, and by "the pass" I mean everybody run fast straight ahead and I'll throw it up. Everything seems so slow and obvious. Sometimes watch espn would stop as we were starting a play, and I knew exactly where it was going and what the result would be. And I am no coach. Something is amiss.

Well you are right.my wife started calling plays yesterday.When Godhigh went wide the ball went to his side and after a big play we ran up the middle.Course if its working its fine but when it is not.....yu have problems.Both teams were kind of sloppy and it was not a pretty thing to watch.