Thanks for a great season of MBB!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I hope the guys that still have eligibility decide to come back. We could be really good next year. Jose returning is huge! He makes the team go on offense. The team played really good basketball the last part of the season. A win at Clemson would be a great finish to the season.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was going to create a new thread for this, but this seems like a good place to put it. I could be entirely wrong about this in the long run, but I feel strongly that the way we finished this season could be a turning point for our program.

I posted this on a different forum and thought I’d post here as well. There’s a really good article on the Athletic about Pastner and the season. With all things considered, I feel like he did a really good job with this team. We were all expecting more, but he battled through a lot (injuries, doubt, etc) to finish strong. This quote from James Banks sums it up well:

“He’s an amazing coach and an amazing person,” said Banks, the senior center. “He never hung his head once. He’s always kept it positive. He didn’t curse us. He works with you. He talks to us. Everybody in this locker room loves him.”

It’s fools gold to think that we are going to ever spend freely on our basketball program. With that being case, we need to support this coach. I’m not prepared to call him the second coming of Bobby Cremona, but whether we want to admit it or not, we’ve got a good man at the helm, that cares about our program, and he’s not that far away from getting us where we want to be.

For once, I’d love to see this fan base put as much effort and energy into supporting a coach as some do in tearing him down. He’s proven capable of being a team in the top half of the league, and with a few breaks and a good class in 2021, we could be well positioned for sustained success over the next 5-6 seasons.

Perhaps these last 10-12 games were the turning point!

Last edited:

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was going to create a new thread for this, but this seems like a good place to put it. I could be entirely wrong about this in the long run, but I feel strongly that the way we finished this season could be a turning point for our program.

I posted this on a different forum and thought I’d post here as well. There’s a really good article on the Athletic about Pastner and the season. With all things considered, I feel like he did a really good job this team. We were all expecting more, but he battled through a lot to finish strong. This quote from James Banks sums it up well:

“He’s an amazing coach and an amazing person,” said Banks, the senior center. “He never hung his head once. He’s always kept it positive. He didn’t curse us. He works with you. He talks to us. Everybody in this locker room loves him.”

It’s fools gold to think that we are going to ever spend freely on our basketball program. With that being case, we need to support this coach. I’m not prepared to call him the second coming of Bobby Cremona, but whether we want to admit it or not, we’ve got a good man at the helm, that cares about our program, and he’s not that far away from getting us where we want to be.

For once, I’d love to see this fan base put as much effort and energy into supporting a coach as some do in tearing him down. He’s proven capable of being a team in the top half of the league, and with a few breaks and a good class in 2021, we could be well positioned for sustained success over the next 5-6 seasons.

I hear you but, i am still in the wait and see mode.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with your comments. This team has no quit in it. They get tired at times, and this effects their performance, but they do not quit. I am not a basketball analyst so I will not bore everyone with an
attempt. I think a comment by Devoe in the post game sums it up. He was given an opportunity to tell incoming freshman one thing and he said, come ready to work, nothing will be given to you. This
is a tribute to CJP, the staff and players. I support CJP and staff for the long haul.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’ll go with grandpa.....
You guys are all entitled to your opinion, I’m just under the impression that the path to sustained success is easier by getting behind Josh and supporting him.

I truly believe that if we can ride this wave of momentum into next season, that we’re an NCAA appearance and a highly rated 21 class away from being where we want to be.

Some will disagree, but I think that he has proven that he has the coaching chops to succeed here.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Me? I love Josh Pastner. Yeah, I wish that Ron Bell crap never happened but Pastner has proven that he is an ACC coach, probably getting more wins with fewer legit pieces or floor talent than anyone else in the conference...maybe the country. Tech is never going to offer 'crip' courses like some other schools and as a result I doubt that we'll ever have a natural recruiting advantage. Our advantage is Pastner's ability to spot RAW talent and develop it such as Okogie and Moses. Almost everyone has improved significantly under the tutelage of Pastner and staff. Finishing the 2019-2020 season with 11 wins and a chance to finish 5th in the ACC (depending upon what happens later today in Miami) seals the deal for me: Pastner is a MUCH better than average coach and the fan base needs to get consistently behind him. Jackets Forever!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

I posted this on a different forum and thought I’d post here as well. There’s a really good article on the Athletic about Pastner and the season. With all things considered, I feel like he did a really good job with this team. We were all expecting more, but he battled through a lot (injuries, doubt, etc) to finish strong. This quote from James Banks sums it up well:

About time someone made this post!

Thank You.

It is up to the coaches & CJP, but if they can start getting some recruits they have barely missed on

We will be special again.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
And he’s the youngest HC in the ACC!

GTFLETCH

Banned
If this was a Great Season, then WOW I would hate to see a avg or bad season! I am thankful that we now play 20 games and we used those extra two games to get above 500 in league play. The one thing I like that CJP said is that his teams need to start faster.... I think it is pretty lame that GT lost to Georgia, Arkansas, Ball State... Hopefully next year it will be better!

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
If this was a Great Season, then WOW I would hate to see a avg or bad season! I am thankful that we now play 20 games and we used those extra two games to get above 500 in league play. The one thing I like that CJP said is that his teams need to start faster.... I think it is pretty lame that GT lost to Georgia, Arkansas, Ball State... Hopefully next year it will be better!

One measure we should use to judge the season and the program is whether or not we improved during the season. This team clearly improved. I really believe we'd beat teams like that easily the way we're playing now.

We shot 40% from the 3 point line against Clemson (6-15). I don't think that number is an anomaly. Consider how bad we've been in the last decade shooting 3's.

I was also very impressed that our zone gave Clemson fits (a team known to shoot 3's).

/

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don't feel I can adequately judge CJP, as I haven't the basketball knowledge and insight many others do on this message board.

I think it is great that his players love him and that he is well liked in the offices as well.

Bottom line for me is still whether we can be considered a danger to the elites of the conference like UVA has managed to do with Bennett at the helm. I suspect CJP recruiting has to kick up a notch or two for that to happen, but....I will judge by wins and losses because it's all I really know.

GT11

GT Athlete

I agree. I stayed away from the site after the middle of the year because of the negativity of people on this site. These are hard working, good kids who want to win. The staff is really as good as it gets. CJP is a better coach than people thought. I believe we have turned the corner and can’t wait for next year. Hope the doubters will begin to look at things more positive