thanks cpj and the rest of you who make this happen`

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Maybe for you, but not for the administration. I think that is what has a lot of people angry on this board. Winning football games is simply not the priority for the hill. Never has been and never will be. The sooner you accept this, the happier you will be. You can ***** and moan all you want about it but it will not change the fact that its not a priority. Now that's not to say that the exceptional young men we have on the team don't make this a priority or CPJ does not make it a priority, but for the administration its an afterthought. It has nothing to do with alumni "accepting" mediocrity or GT fans being OK with 7 win seasons. The fact of the matter is, the administration couldn’t care less. Let that sink in and then maybe you won't be so quick to criticize.
I agree.

*fify in bold

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
(Also,I looked up uga's numbers and last year, their football GSR rate was 60% and they were in the bottom 3 of the SEC, buy hey, as long as they are winning then I guess it's OK).
Where does one find this data? I need to show my dwag bro' this stuff.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So, is this rate for S/As higher than the rest of the student population?

Are our S/As expected to not only sacrifice on the field, but also outperform people that are only students as well?

If one of our opponents has a player one play away from being paralyzed for life due to an injury, are we to believe that we are the only ones with enough honor to not play that kid? Really? Any examples?

Are there zero S/As playing at any other schools (factory, non factory ) that were offered by GT (obviously qualified academically) that did not sign with GT? Or are there only 20 to 25 in the whole world playing football that are qualified to be a S/A at GT and we manage to sign every one of those people every year?

Regardless, a lot of credit to the S/As and support staff for helping them reach this point.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A willingness to funnel athletes into classes that aren't as rigorous as the classes normal students take.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stanford-list-of-easy-classes-for-athletes-2011-3
I hate to be a downer, but the majority of our players are in "classes that aren't as rigorous as the classes normal students take." Not sure about the funnel them in part. That said, the spirit of what we do is a lot different than say the factories who funnel into worthless degrees for the purpose of maintaining eligibility. I bet the majority of Stanford SA's do pretty well after college.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I hate to be a downer, but the majority of our players are in "classes that aren't as rigorous as the classes normal students take." Not sure about the funnel them in part.

The GT Business School is ranked #29 by US News. Be a downer and say that the majority of our players are in "a business school that is only ranked #29". I guess you are saying that they should be in sleep and dreams, or acting for non-majors. In the article that you probably didn't read it says:

"School officials say the classes were chosen because they fit within the athletes' demanding practice schedules and that many of the classes would be considered "academically rigorous" by most students.
But at least one athlete who used the list confirmed that the classes were "always chock-full of athletes and very easy A's,"

Many athletes might not be in classes that the engineering students would consider extremely difficult, but they are in a highly ranked, highly respected school of business. They are graduating at a high rate. They have degrees that actually are respected and have meaning in the business world. Can you say that about UGA? Can you even say that the majority of athletes at Stanford leave the school with a meaningful diploma?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Can you say that about UGA? Can you even say that the majority of athletes at Stanford leave the school with a meaningful diploma?
I get your point and I tried to allude to it in my post. I didn't do a very good job of it. As for Uga... hell no. As for Stanford... not sure, haven't done the research, but probably.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The prof makes a huge difference in course difficulty. My differential calculus prof was teaching it like we were grad students. I retook it after leaving for 4 years of military service and it was much easier. It was the way the prof taught it and how hard the tests were. The SA's are probably steered to the less rigorous profs in the tough classes and take fewer of them at the same time.

JanKemp

Georgia Tech Fan
Are you guys serious? You think that wanting to go out and win every game is awful, and I should cheer for another program because of it? That's insane. Are yall not competitive at all?
I respect the GT way and an education is one of the most important things in a person's life, but we shouldn't compete in sports period if we're not gonna give it 100percent, and the stuff I've suggested to make us more competitive wouldn't in no way tarnish the reputation of the school or a degree!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate ugag , but if wanting your team to excel and win titles, and compete with the big brother in your state is what you're accusing me of then yes I'm guilty as charged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it not bother you guys at all to get ribbed year in and year out by these rednecks about beating us?? If you're ok with it, I'd check your manhood!

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Good grief. That's disappointing that a school like Stanford would do that. Tech is pretty unyielding on academics, so I guess our 88% is the real deal.

Yet people still think is Stanford as a top university. Adding more majors would not decrease the value of our school like most assume

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Are you guys serious? You think that wanting to go out and win every game is awful, and I should cheer for another program because of it? That's insane. Are yall not competitive at all?
I respect the GT way and an education is one of the most important things in a person's life, but we shouldn't compete in sports period if we're not gonna give it 100percent, and the stuff I've suggested to make us more competitive wouldn't in no way tarnish the reputation of the school or a degree!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate ugag , but if wanting your team to excel and win titles, and compete with the big brother in your state is what you're accusing me of then yes I'm guilty as charged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it not bother you guys at all to get ribbed year in and year out by these rednecks about beating us?? If you're ok with it, I'd check your manhood!
the more exclamation points you use doesn't make your argument any better. You're failing to listen to the people arguing against you. No one is arguing in favor of Tech not being competitive. Thats not a goal for any football staff member either. All we're saying is winning is not the most important thing when it comes to college athletics. If all you care about is winning you need to follow professional sports.

You seem to have only recently come around here when the season stopped looking like a NY6 type season. I suggest you go listen to the first video in this thread where CPJ himself talks about the other (in my mind bigger) responsibilities he has as head coach.

p.s. - trying to attack someone's manhood is a clear indicator your argument has 0 substance.

Animal02

Banned
The prof makes a huge difference in course difficulty. My differential calculus prof was teaching it like we were grad students. I retook it after leaving for 4 years of military service and it was much easier. It was the way the prof taught it and how hard the tests were. The SA's are probably steered to the less rigorous profs in the tough classes and take fewer of them at the same time.
Yeah.....took Arch Structures the first time.. taught by an AE professor that hated Architecture students.....failed (5 hour class) second time had a Arch Prof....did not learn anything more and got a solid B.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Stanford's athletic programs hit 98% GSR and 99% for football. I'm curious as to what explains the gap.

really? REALLY you need somebody to tell you that stanford has a wide variety of courses for players to take that are not all that demanding?.

not only that but how many quality players have we lost because we didnt have the courses they wanted to take even though they loved gt?

so on both counts they have a huge advantage over us.

and i wont even mention that they are FAR bigger than we are which means they have far more alumni and money to spend on their AA.... recruiting .... staff etc. ;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

When we have won 2 out of the last 3 it doesn't bother me at all. Gets kinda irritating after losing 7 in a row. But if you can't take ribbing over college football maybe it is you who should "check your manhood." :whistle:

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

this is one a them posts i wish i could give a huge 'dislike'.

sorry but your view and saying you respect gt are 180 degrees opposite one another and the defense of your argument make NO sense. the HILL RESPECTS GT AND THE WAY IT HANDLES EDUCATION. that the staff has us where we are tells me that they respect gt and the education. most fans get this and make allowances. you dont.

i agree with the other posters. if winning is more important than anything else than you SHOULD consider rooting for the dwags.

what i find really odd is even your avatar is diametrically opposed to your true view point. it may serve you better to put one a them red circles with a slash through jankemp because you seem to have the same DISDAIN for her that many dwags do.