thanks cpj and the rest of you who make this happen`

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Did we start an African-American Studies Program like UNC?

NO ONE has an 88% grad rate at GT.......we all "got out" by the skin of our teeth!!

while i fully understand your logic. btdt myself. think of it like a club. if a group of the brightest at tech get together they will NOT have the same graduation rate as the general population.

if i had a tutor and other perks to help me when i was here..... i do think it would have been a lot easier on me. sorry but i dont agree with your thought process on this.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Winning games is priority #1
Maybe for you, but not for the administration. I think that is what has a lot of people angry on this board. Winning football games is simply not the priority for the hill. Never has been and never will be. The sooner you accept this, the happier you will be. You can ***** and moan all you want about it but it will not change the fact that its not a priority. Now that's not to say that the exceptional young men we have on the team don't make this a priority or CPJ does not make it a priority, but for the administration its an afterthought. It has nothing to do with alumni "accepting" mediocrity or GT fans being OK with 7 win seasons. The fact of the matter is, the administration could care less. Let that sink in and then maybe you won't be so quick to criticize.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Devils Advocate: Is our rate higher simply because we can't currently land many of the bigtime recruits that need the academic exceptions (the more "at risk" athletes)?
Most of the time we can weed through the kids that won’t make it (either through getting the kid to make the entrance scores or scaring them off/lack of interest b/c of workload, school profile, etc), but occasionally we get hit by this. One such example was Junior Gnonkonde... wanted him, but he didn’t qualify. Burned us at UNC. We’ve had a few RBs as well.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Maybe for you, but not for the administration. I think that is what has a lot of people angry on this board. Winning football games is simply not the priority for the hill. Never has been and never will be. The sooner you accept this, the happier you will be. You can ***** and moan all you want about it but it will not change the fact that its not a priority. Now that's not to say that the exceptional young men we have on the team don't make this a priority or CPJ does not make it a priority, but for the administration its an afterthought. It has nothing to do with alumni "accepting" mediocrity or GT fans being OK with 7 win seasons. The fact of the matter is, the administration could care less. Let that sink in and then maybe you won't be so quick to criticize.

Even more than that. There are many things more important than winning football games. If a very good player without a good backup has a spinal injury and doctors say he is one hit away from being paralyzed, do you play him? If winning is "priority #1", then you obviously have to play him. Anyone who would say that he should play is stupid. That means that winning IS NOT priority #1. There can be debate about where you draw the line: Death or grave injury, academic well being of the players, academic standards of the school. etc. However, you cannot say that winning football games is more important than ANYTHING else in the world. It simply is not.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying they do care some, or do you mean they are completely apathetic?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Winning games is priority #1
If .you truly feel that way, I suggest you switch allegiance to the state school to the east. After all, they have a history of winning seasons but also have a team where over half their players didn't qualify academically for the school and will end up working at their home town's parks and recreation department (if Walmart isn't hiring). You two seem like a good match.

(Also,I looked up uga's numbers and last year, their football GSR rate was 60% and they were in the bottom 3 of the SEC, buy hey, as long as they are winning then I guess it's OK).

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Johnson is a coach. His job is to coach football. I have never understood the argument that you keep a coach just because he keeps his players out of trouble off the field (either behaviorally or academically) or his players graduate. That should be a requirement, something that gets you fired if you don't do. Not something to save your behind when the results on the field are subpar. Note, there are plenty of arguments regarding play on the field to support keeping Johnson. But people tried the same excuse to keep gregory in basketball despite complete and utter failure and it was complete bunk.

Anyways, great job. Hats off to the students and the academic support staff.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer