Thanks Coach Pastner

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
So I’ve been debating all day as to how to respond to this response. I’ll say this, what is Atlanta? Is it a curly haired Jewish guy that does not curse, play golf or drink pop or alcohol? I mean I’m sorry I’m just a truth teller, but does that fit with the Cheetah, the NAACP and the general AA heritage throughout the city and its suburbs. I’m sorry if it’s an uncomfortable situation but Dennis Gates was the guy, last year. I will always tell y’all exactly what I think is real and it’s often not what you want to hear and for that I apologize. That said, we can be successful via other routes…

Those stereotypes still exist regardless of certain wants or beliefs. While unfortunate, they should be recognized. Is it a wonder that Paul Hewitt pulled high level recruits from Atlanta and Tennessee? Creminis pulled from NY but that is a different dynamic. swing away….
Doubling down on a bad hot take.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What truth? Enlighten us.
In a city with a large African American population with a highly talented hoops scene generally organized & operated by African American coaches, entrepreneurs, and former players, it may serve us well to give a proven African American head coach that's part of or tied into that community the opportunity to coach at Georgia Tech.

On the currently speculated list, there are two such candidates that fit the description and I'd welcome either one.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Also…….ugh……quirky Jewish guy in Atlanta. Who thought that was a good idea?
This is the part that came across a little uncalled for, not what y’all are saying now. If what you are saying now about an African American coach being a good fit in Atlanta is what peacone meant to say, then fine, I agree, but the “curly haired Jewish guy” comment that peacone made to begin with and then doubled down on was stupid and unnecessary.
In a city with a large African American population with a highly talented hoops scene generally organized & operated by African American coaches, entrepreneurs, and former players, it may serve us well to give a proven African American head coach that's part of or tied into that community the opportunity to coach at Georgia Tech.

On the currently speculated list, there are two such candidates that fit the description and I'd welcome either one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Some people go with character over racial stereotypes.

Even college athletes can see that.

There was a famous national champion football coach at Miami and a famous national champion basketball coach at UCLA who both recruited and coached against type regularly.

Hope you're not talking about John Wooden who's athletes were all bought and paid for. He had a payroll that made even SMU blush. It's galling that people pretend it was just his mystique.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hope you're not talking about John Wooden who's athletes were all bought and paid for. He had a payroll that made even SMU blush. It's galling that people pretend it was just his mystique.
No. My point is that quirky guys have been known to recruit players who are completely culturally different. Pastner being Jewish was not the problem. Not having a bankroll was the problem.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No. My point is that quirky guys have been known to recruit players who are completely culturally different. Pastner being Jewish was not the problem. Not having a bankroll was the problem.

You have a good point. Wooden isn't a good example of it. That's all I'm saying.

Although peac bungled his delivery, he has a good point as well. He's not saying you have to be a black guy to succeed at attracting black kids.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why are we acting like a crazy new yorker wasn't our most successful head coach? Pastner had his flaws. Being Jewish wasn't one of them. His personality probably both helped and hurt him, like most coaches' personalities.

Anyways, do people think we can be successful just by tapping more into the Atlanta scene? Yes there is talent. No we are not likely to monopolize it or reach the point where we can just pick and choose which we will take. There is always the academic side of things that will likely force us to recruit more regionally anyways. A local tie, and being african american, could be a nice benefit but it shouldn't really be the driving factor in the coaching search. Those are factors that can tapped into when selecting assistants of it's really that important.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
OK. He inherited a 3* guard with no college experience and sent him to the NBA. Got it.
Don’t forget Lammers. Who on our current roster is better than either of them. Just asking. As I said this team has more depth but no one as good as either of those guys

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Don’t forget Lammers. Who on our current roster is better than either of them. Just asking. As I said this team has more depth but no one as good as either of those guys

Coleman, Kelly, Smith, Sturdivant, Terry, and Moore are all more proven now than anyone was on Pastner's first team prior to Pastner taking over. You're comparing what those guys would become, not what they were at the time Pastner took over.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You have a good point. Wooden isn't a good example of it. That's all I'm saying.

Although peac bungled his delivery, he has a good point as well. He's not saying you have to be a black guy to succeed at attracting black kids.
I guess I don’t know what his point was then. Pastner’s players seemed to love him. More recruiting money and he would have had a lot more players love him.

I don’t think “cultural fit” is the magic bullet. Peac seemed to put all his eggs in one basket with his bungled delivery.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I guess I don’t know what his point was then. Pastner’s players seemed to love him. More recruiting money and he would have had a lot more players love him.

I don’t think “cultural fit” is the magic bullet. Peac seemed to put all his eggs in one basket with his bungled delivery.

dtm picked up the fumble and carried it over the goalline in his response above. That's pretty much it, nothing more imho.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Coleman, Kelly, Smith, Sturdivant, Terry, and Moore are all more proven now than anyone was on Pastner's first team prior to Pastner taking over. You're comparing what those guys would become, not what they were at the time Pastner took over.
None are as good as Okogie or Lammers. Let’s see if any of them achieve that status. Not to mention we don’t know who will actually be on the team next year. Delete Smith and Moore from the proven list. Moore has potential. Look at Smith’s shooting percent. Simply horrible from every spot.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
None are as good as Okogie or Lammers. Let’s see if any of them achieve that status. Not to mention we don’t know who will actually be on the team next year. Delete Smith and Moore from the proven list. Moore has potential. Look at Smith’s shooting percent. Simply horrible from every spot.

Go back and look at what the roster Pastner had his first year had done prior to him taking over. You're comparing what Lammers and Okogie would become after Pastner's influence, not what he inherited.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Go back and look at what the roster Pastner had his first year had done prior to him taking over. You're comparing what Lammers and Okogie would become after Pastner's influence, not what he inherited.
Look at their first year with him. Lammers and Okogie were very ready and good players as were Jackson and Stephens. Which of the guys you mention do you think will have as good a year as either Okogie or Lammers?. You can guess how well Okogie or Lammers would have played under Gregory but to say he did not inherit serious talent is misleading. GT was an NIT the year before CJP. GT is a 13th place finisher in the ACC this year. That says the team is not good.

This team had one good win in over 30 games. If the roster was so good they would have beaten more than one good team. Overestimating the talent on the roster is dangerous. Kelly is the only one that would be an impact player on many ACC teams. The rest are solid role players that CJP played nearly 40 minutes per game because he had no other options.

We likely disagree and that's ok. This was a bad GT team this year in my opinion. Apparently J Batt agrees with me.