Thank you Dabo

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I didn't get why he abandoned the running game so soon. I would think the second pick would have given him some notice.
Will be called out by many here but so what ! I wonder why teams with good running games after getting behind by a td start filling the air with footballs.I like that attitude since our DL is undersized and when you run right at us you get results.......to beat us with a ordinary defense you need to control the ball so we dont get it and when a ball is incomplete.......well you are in a big bind..Clemson has so much talent but at times DABO is a space cadet.They were in the game first half and then bombs away.Bad thing was not that much pressure on the interceptions just throwing in coverage and thats a good sign Ted has done a good job.Shoot let them keep throwing and lets us keep intercepting.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The abandonment of the run may be because of the pressure our offense puts on teams (especially when we get an early lead) and also that our defense hasn't shown a great pass rush most games either.
Our offense eats time and produces points on most series. They know we will put up points, so teams feel a pressure to put up their own high score. Their mindset isn't "let's minimize the total number of offensive series and try to beat GT's running game by focusing on our running game". In fact with many offenses, one bad run result typically causes them to think "we gotta pass in order to get the first down".
Once they get behind, our "clock eating" offense makes them think "we need to get some quick scores i.e. passes, to get back in the game". Scoring fast so that they can run more total offensive series, means passing.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
Dabo showed little game awareness or adjustment. It became very apparent midway in the first half, the CU game plan had collapsed with Watson's knee. The coach failed to realize this and was soundly out coached, again. Placing the entire hope on a true freshman in a QB run happy game plan who has been out for a month, and with the depth they displayed afterwards is something the Tiger forums need to raise.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of points:
1. I didn't think it was bad game management. If my QB was performing as badly as Stoudt was for them, I would want to get into the locker room, hopefully regroup and hope that he would play better in the 2nd half. I certainly wouldn't want to have him go out and try to run a 2 minute offense when he had already thrown one pick six at the time.
2. Some of you are acting like Dabo makes the offensive play calls. He has an OC who does that. So "abandoning the running game" was likely the OC's decision. I doubt Dabo was on the headsets telling him what plays to run.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Dabo showed little game awareness or adjustment. It became very apparent midway in the first half, the CU game plan had collapsed with Watson's knee. The coach failed to realize this and was soundly out coached, again. Placing the entire hope on a true freshman in a QB run happy game plan who has been out for a month, and with the depth they displayed afterwards is something the Tiger forums need to raise.
I love Dabo.

Didn't we run back a fake field goal in 2009? Tarrant If I recall. In fact, we had that and Scott Blair throw a TD to Thomas in that game. Two special teams TDs.

There is always the Dabo factor.
And I say that with loads of affection.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of points:
1. I didn't think it was bad game management. If my QB was performing as badly as Stoudt was for them, I would want to get into the locker room, hopefully regroup and hope that he would play better in the 2nd half. I certainly wouldn't want to have him go out and try to run a 2 minute offense when he had already thrown one pick six at the time.
2. Some of you are acting like Dabo makes the offensive play calls. He has an OC who does that. So "abandoning the running game" was likely the OC's decision. I doubt Dabo was on the headsets telling him what plays to run.

I was not really picking on his decision to not call a time-out in the closing moments of the first half. As HC he should have seen what looked clear to me, that our pass D had completely out classed his QB and an adjustment in game plan was required. A HC should have communicated to the OC a corrective action plan. No adjustment was made in the entire game. Hence my point that he was out-coached by Tech. Dabo is a nice guy who recruits great but he continues the "clemsoning" tradition and that makes me like him even more.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
A couple of points:
It was terrible game management because he ended up calling a time out with 1 second left.

If he had called no timeouts then it could be chalked up to what you suggest, just wanting to get to the locker room. However, down 2 scores and with Tech getting the ball to start the second half that was already a very debatable decision. But when he calls a timeout with 1 second left he just showed himself to be a fool. You either start using timeouts on second down (or even first) or not at all.

CU has returned kicks for TDs this year, why not force a punt by use of timeouts? It has nothing to do with what Dabo may think Stoudt can do in a 1 minute drill (no way they could have had 2 minutes there) but what you might be able to do on special teams to possibly be able to then set up another field goal attempt for your fantastic place kicker.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
He's a clown. He thought he'd get the chance to run back a punt.
He would have if he had called the timeouts earlier. It is the fact he did with one second left that shows to my thinking that he goofed. That and the fact he has a track record of poor clock and timeout management.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Teams have been doing that all year. The prevailing notion is our D is awful, and we can't play from behind. Working on these assumptions, taking the ball first is the best strategy since you can score first and dictate the game. It worked for Duke and UNC, not so much for Clemson.

UNC took the opening kickoff and went three and out. Then quickly got the ball back on a fumble. 4 plays later Jamal picked it off and we went on to take a 7-0 lead.
Duke took the opening kickoff, went 14 yards and punted. We got the ball, drove down and took the 3-0 lead.

Not sure I would use them as example of that strategy working. They won the game, but I'm not sure how much that had to do with electing to receive the opening kickoff.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UNC took the opening kickoff and went three and out. Then quickly got the ball back on a fumble. 4 plays later Jamal picked it off and we went on to take a 7-0 lead.
Duke took the opening kickoff, went 14 yards and punted. We got the ball, drove down and took the 3-0 lead.

Not sure I would use them as example of that strategy working. They won the game, but I'm not sure how much that had to do with electing to receive the opening kickoff.

VT is probably the best coached team we have faced and they made us take the ball to start the game. It all comes down to whether you want to win the first half or the second half and the game. And whether you think your coaching is any better than a coin flip.

Next I'll post something on talent differential; thank the football gods that Dabo and his assistants can squander that away!