Thank you Dabo

Declinometer

Banned
for totally chocking the clock management at the end of the first half. Really dude, what in the hell were you thinking? Oh....and thank you, you joke!

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
for totally chocking the clock management at the end of the first half. Really dude, what in the hell were you thinking? Oh....and thank you, you joke!
To be honest I don't know if he really mismanaged it in terms of team psyche. They looked like they needed to get to the locker room and regroup. Fortunately we forced them to continue to look like that for the remainder of the game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

100% agree. At our game watching that failure to call a time out with 3 in the bank and 1:40 to go was inexplicably stupid. They could have tried so much; blocked punt or hail Mary's. I mean if Clemson had been up 2 scores and getting the ball to start the second half I would have understood. But no, Dabo is an idiot who is a great recruiter and has a great OC and DC.

The other coaching decision which comes close in stupidity was winning the toss and electing to get the ball. Don't they know we are a second half team and GT has coaches who make adjustments and can coach????

Any other stupid coaching decisions? Thankfully, Clemson has idiot coaches (like UGAg) that neutralizes some of their talent.

CPJ looks better all the time. We would be crucifying CPJ today if he coached like Dabo.

Animal02

Banned
The other coaching decision which comes close in stupidity was winning the toss and electing to get the ball. Don't they know we are a second half team and GT has coaches who make adjustments and can coach????

I think the mentality of taking the ball first is to get ahead and make Tech play from behind.......that probably worked in previous seasons......not so much anymore.

Last edited:

Mack

Helluva Engineer
100% agree. At our game watching that failure to call a time out with 3 in the bank and 1:40 to go was inexplicably stupid. They could have tried so much; blocked punt or hail Mary's. I mean if Clemson had been up 2 scores and getting the ball to start the second half I would have understood. But no, Dabo is an idiot who is a great recruiter and has a great OC and DC.

Any other stupid coaching decisions? Thankfully, Clemson has idiot coaches (like UGAg) that neutralizes some of their talent.

CPJ looks better all the time. We would be crucifying CPJ today if he coached like Dabo.
DADO just doesnt get it.......he has tons of talent and then does some funny things on the field.Stoudt was three for 11............yet they still tried to throw the out pattern deep ..Kid has bad arm but still three picks and he was still in game........I thought the OC was better than thata but again lets give it up to the defense..we played well and no matter if the frosh got hurt we didnt make many if any big mistakes and would have won....maybe.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
To be honest I don't know if he really mismanaged it in terms of team psyche. They looked like they needed to get to the locker room and regroup. Fortunately we forced them to continue to look like that for the remainder of the game.

And yet he called time out with 1 second on the clock and we still had another play to run (4th down). JT just took the snap, stood for a second to make sure the clock ran, then took a knee. There was no psyche management in that, just a case of Anal Pollex Insertius.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Teams have been doing that all year. The prevailing notion is our D is awful, and we can't play from behind. Working on these assumptions, taking the ball first is the best strategy since you can score first and dictate the game. It worked for Duke and UNC, not so much for Clemson.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think the mentality of taking the ball first is to get ahead and make Tech play from behind.......that probably worked in previous seasons......not so much anymore.
Didn't see your post when I wrote mine. I think you are right in why they do it, I do think it is a solid game plan if you have a strong offense. We are excellent at dictating the flow of the game. Taking the ball first and imposing your will to start the game is a great strategy for other teams.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Favo should have changed to pocket pass max protect when stout went in for injured freshman. Clemson fans were depressed that they continue to run the same offense when the QB is virtually no threat to run.

Stout was asked to fake Han offs then try to pass into crossing routes. He never went looong. Stupid.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Teams have been doing that all year. The prevailing notion is our D is awful, and we can't play from behind. Working on these assumptions, taking the ball first is the best strategy since you can score first and dictate the game. It worked for Duke and UNC, not so much for Clemson.

It's a bad strategy since we play better in the second half. But you are right - I don't know which coin tosses we won or lost but in the last 7 games since Miami we have always kicked off. 5-2 in that stretch.

I know when we win we defer every time to the second half since you want momentum in the second half more than the first ...... and we adjust on O and D.

Good to see that we intimidate other teams into doing something stupid.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
And yet he called time out with 1 second on the clock and we still had another play to run (4th down). JT just took the snap, stood for a second to make sure the clock ran, then took a knee. There was no psyche management in that, just a case of Anal Pollex Insertius.

Dabo is stupid. He thought he'd get the ball on a punt. Then when he realized his stupidity, he gave a lame excuse in halftime interview.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was hoping we'd throw a crossing pattern and score on that last play.

But it isn't just Dabo being stupid; but the whole coaching staff. If stupidity can't be questioned, then it's organizational stupidity.

Again, CPJ hasn't made many time management errors in the last few years. I remember a few in general that we talked about but not many.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer

THAT was his intent. He knew it would hurt our rushing average against his top ranked defense because we wouldn't be running for a positive play against him. That was his brightest move of the day.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping we'd throw a crossing pattern and score on that last play.

But it isn't just Dabo being stupid; but the whole coaching staff. If stupidity can't be questioned, then it's organizational stupidity.

Again, CPJ hasn't made many time management errors in the last few years. I remember a few in general that we talked about but not many.
What is reassuring though is that I can think of a number of specific places where CPJ made a game management kind of decision where he clearly made a move that was "out-coaching" the other head coach at that moment. I do take comfort as a fan in seeing that the head coach can compare well in those aspects of the game where you can "notice" the head coach, against seemingly whomever is on the opposing sidelines.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Didn't see your post when I wrote mine. I think you are right in why they do it, I do think it is a solid game plan if you have a strong offense. We are excellent at dictating the flow of the game. Taking the ball first and imposing your will to start the game is a great strategy for other teams.
I agree with the offense they had under the frosh qb a first down or two to start off the game puts us in a hole if they have to punt.....Clemson had good rush defense so no big gamble to take the ball first.......gosh when I was coaching and pallying in HS we..........always took the ball first.Now its the opposite.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I didn't get why he abandoned the running game so soon. I would think the second pick would have given him some notice.