Thacker out at DC, now Safeties coach

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Miami has been irrelevant almost as long as we have.
I don't know that we are anything alike. Miami has had one top 20 recruiting class after another through multiple coaches since the early 2000s without a whole lot to show for it. Easily, the most underachieving program in the ACC with UNC hard on their heels. They are a talented bunch to be sure as shown in their opening win. Maybe Mario is the savior they have been waiting for all these years after all.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that we are anything alike. Miami has had one top 20 recruiting class after another through multiple coaches since the early 2000s without a whole lot to show for it. Easily, the most underachieving program in the ACC with UNC hard on their heels. They are a talented bunch to be sure as shown in their opening win. Maybe Mario is the savior they have been waiting for all these years after all.
Not possible. Look at all the bad losses he had in his first year there. This board knows that is a harbinger of doom that is a death sentence.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not possible. Look at all the bad losses he had in his first year there. This board knows that is a harbinger of doom that is a death sentence.
Well, he gets a little longer leash than say Manny who suffered the ignominy of someone hiring a plane to circle Landshark with a banner proclaiming "Fire Manny". They even made fun of his speaking lisp. Mario was a much decorated offensive tackle from the glory days so he has more time. Much like Coach Key.

Natsdd

Georgia Tech Fan
I nearly came here and posted the same thing… Okie backs just bouncing off tacklers. Glad you stirred the pot first
:D
Ted Roof’s OU defense playing well, nice goal line stand. Tell me again why many of our fans didn’t think he was a good defensive coordinator here.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof’s OU defense playing well, nice goal line stand. Tell me again why many of our fans didn’t think he was a good defensive coordinator here.
Oh idk, probably his multiple stints here as DC where the defense was sub par? Some say Miami is still throwing bubble screens to this day...

He's had good games, just like Thacker, but overwhelmingly his defenses are soft and get beat.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And now he is DC at undefeated Oklahoma and we got who we got. Who was our DC last time we beat Ugag or won a bowl game.
It was Roof, but you can fill in the blank in this question and the answers are all different from the coaches we have now, not just the DC:
Who was our _______ coach last time we beat Ugag or went to a bowl game?
Roof had his high points and his low points. He's gone and it's time to move on.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s a low bar, but he had one of the best defenses of the Johnson era.
I understood his bend but don't break defense, but the philosophy ran counter to the ball control offense and our lack of depth too often wore us out.
He's in a place now where I'm sure his approach has a better chance of succeeding, if that's still the approach he's using. I hope he continues to do well there.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Then we aren’t any worse off I guess.
Not Funny Seriously GIF by Holly Logan

Well, it was a little funny ;)

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
And now he is DC at undefeated Oklahoma and we got who we got. Who was our DC last time we beat Ugag or won a bowl game.
He has better players at OU. He had two chances at Tech and neither of his defenses were any good. Plus, he stank at recruiting and developing players. Fortunately for him, he does not have to recruit at OU.