Moved to safeties coach. Kevin Sherrer is the new DC

Attachments

• IMG_6777.jpeg
    IMG_6777.jpeg
    794.8 KB · Views: 91

slugboy

Staff member
@Buzz_404 I edited the title a little

Moving Thacker to Safeties might help shore up the secondary performance. It’s not the best resume entry for Thacker, but the defense this year isn’t either.

Front 6 performance needs to be addressed. Sherrer is accountable for that

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
What’s the point. Thacker is clearly not going to be here next season. Let him go instead of embarrassing him with a demotion.
We don't know that he didn't ask to be retained in some capacity while he gets his job search going. Happens all the time with executives.

Also, I had predicted earlier that Sherrer may have been hired as a backstop to Thacker in the event this needed to happen. That's likely why he was made co-DC.

Edit to add: We will have plenty of posters who find the negative side of this event. I try to look at it as a positive in the sense that Key took decisive action. Also, we may not have seen all of the decisions yet.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
our other DB coach is the guy whose DB's literally ranked as the worst unit in FBS at Michigan State right? At least the safeties might improve then

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Something like--rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic
Yea, I don't know exactly how the power structure was setup before, but I would think if Sherrer was already co-DC he would have been having just as much say in what we were doing as Thacker already. Maybe not, but I will have low expectations for now of seeing much improvement this season.

As mentioned above, we already have a DB coach as well - didn't we decide under the last guy that having safeties and cbs not on the same page was a bad idea?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
For all the posters critiquing this move, what would you suggest we should have done instead? Retain Thacker at DC? Fire all the coaches and start over mid-season? Dump Thacker completely and hire a new DC mid-season? There aren't a lot of solid DC resumes in circulation right now. Although I had suggested in another thread that we throw money we don't have at Duke's DC. Their defense so far this year is elite.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something like--rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic

We pretty much did that after firing Collins last year. Worked better than what was going on before.

We'll see how our team reacts against Miami. They're a good team with one of the best QBs in the country. Our defense will either get bowled over and rearranging deck chairs on the GT Titanic was futile, or it will light a fire under our players AND coaches to do better.

We'll see. I hope it's the latter.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It seems that some people above don't like this move. Given where we are at (late September) i do not see how this can be viewed in a negative manner. I think doing nothing is, by far, the worst move a manager can make when things are this far in the ditch.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Thank goodness. Happy Key is making adjustments. Thacker played safety in college and hey maybe he’s a good coach just not s good play caller?
That could well be the situation. Thacker may be a better position coach than coordinator.
This guy Sherrer has a lot of experience, but as a DC only at the high school level. We'll see what happens.