Thacker out at DC, now Safeties coach

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
While I have few illusions about any improvement in actual performance which might be made under a new DC, I simply want to see us playing an aggressive attacking style defense. If we get beat physically and give up 50 points every game, maybe I'll change my mind, but until that happens please PLEASE don't take an NFL approach to defense. Blitz, disguise blitzes, never let the Offense figure out where we might be coming from.

I hated when we practically vacated the middle of the field by moving our LB's out wide. BG promptly ran up the middle into the area that was vacated. That's dumb defensive scheming. I hated us lining up our CB's 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 7 plays, again, and again...even after BG made clear they'd throw into the empty undefended flat area for 5 yards and fall forward for the 1st down. If we are going to get beat, I'd much rather get beat trying our best to stop the other guy, rather than giving up obvious plays.

I'll concede that teams with far superior athletes are getting torched defensively. Ole Miss put up over 700 yards on LSU. USC and Colorado was a track meet with 89 total points scored. So, to me, the idea that having great Jimmies and Joes is the answer does not seem to tell the whole tale. Scheme seems to matter. or maybe is is simply having great D linemen that matter. I'm not certain.

But let's go down fighting please.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
MWBATL, I'm pretty much in agreement with you and there are teams playing good defense, so it can be done. Look at 'bama, they seem to be stopping folks, yes I know they have better players than we do and I'm sure that is a factor, but I too believe we can disguise where we're coming from and come from many different places and ways, be more effective than we presently are. I will be interested to see what our new DC comes up with, not sure we will get to see much of it this week, but maybe after the break we will see a different style of defense, lets hope and I'm guessing we will, how effective only time will tell. Frankly I'm looking forward to it. The puzzling thing to me was CBK's comments about how good a job Sherrer has done with the LBs, obviously he is seeing something that we fans have not seen so maybe we will see some of it this Sat.
I'm also wondering if we see a different O Lineman or two this week. I found some of the comments CBK made last week at his pressers of interest. I think there may be some talent there that we have not yet seen much of, CBK seems to think Jeep is doing a really good job. Maybe Jeep has been getting some of the younger talented guys ready, let's hope so, I've been worried all this season about our run blocking effectiveness.

Last edited:

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't expect to see a dramatic improvement with this coaching change, but if turns out as well as when Weinke took over (unofficially) for Long last season, I'll be good with that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I went to the UT website and at least according to their website he was never a DC or co-DC at TN.
In 2018, his lone season at TN, it shows him as the Special Teams Coordinator and Inside LB Coach. Derrick Ansley is listed as DC with Chris Rumph as Co-DC/Outside Linebackers.
I'm thinking it may be a mistake on the RamblinWreck site since it appears it was the other LB coach who was the Co-DC. Also, based on the descriptions I would assume it was Ansley calling the plays - he is listed as solo DC the following season with a different co-DC.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, I went to the UT website and at least according to their website he was never a DC or co-DC at TN.
In 2018, his lone season at TN, it shows him as the Special Teams Coordinator and Inside LB Coach. Derrick Ansley is listed as DC with Chris Rumph as Co-DC/Outside Linebackers.
I'm thinking it may be a mistake on the RamblinWreck site since it appears it was the other LB coach who was the Co-DC. Also, based on the descriptions I would assume it was Ansley calling the plays - he is listed as solo DC the following season with a different co-DC.
I bet it’s a mistake on Tennessee’s part because Georgia Tech is always really good at making sure coaches’ resumes are reviewed thoroughly. Anyone think we should involve Notre Dame to settle this?

DasaniMan

Georgia Tech Fan
https://247sports.com/Article/kevin...ams-coordinator-coaching-staff-129147938/Amp/
Though Sherrer was the defensive coordinator, Pruitt was Tennessee's primary play-caller on defense last season. Sherrer was his top lieutenant on the sideline, while Kelly and co-defensive coordinator Chris Rumph were integral parts of the operation from the coaching booth.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Everyone on here looking for improvement on D, lots of ideas about schemes, how to coach. Quick reminder, compared to last year, we’re now playing without a couple guys not so easy to replace:

Ace Eley: led the team 118 tackles, 3.5 sacks, three pass deflections, four forced fumbles.
Charlie Thomas: 112 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries, returned for a total of 114 yards …Ranked nationally in solo tackles per game (5th – 5.9), fumbles recovered (22nd – 2) and total tackles per game (22nd – 9.3)
Everybody knows that is so .Key.the coach.should have replaced them well and didn't (or couldn't).Same either way.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Everybody knows that is so .Key.the coach.should have replaced them well and didn't (or couldn't).Same either way.
first understand last years recruiting class from last year would have been the ones that other coach had on his list, by the time players knew Coach Key was the coaching it was late. He did bring in 16 transfers 4 LB's and 1 DL. This year will be his first real class and as of now if they stay committed 4 are LB's and 4 are DL. And this class is rated about 30 which for Tech is pretty good.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Echoing stech’s post, it seems to me that Thacker is active on the recruiting trail — which likely plays into a decision to keep him on staff.

Or, to use an analogy from the Haynes King thread .. this may be like taking your starting QB out a series to allow him to collect his head. The game will still be there.

I don’t feel bad for Thacker in any sense — and I’d bet that aside from a bruised ego he’s not feeling too bummed: he’s still being paid, still engaged as a contributor and has plenty of opportunity to rebuild. This whole thing is probably a win-win both sides.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I don't feel bad for Thacker either since he knew he was on the hot seat anyway.
Anyone coaching P5 football at the coordinator or head coach level has two people in their favorite contacts list - their agent and their realtor. Comes with the territory.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't feel bad for Thacker either since he knew he was on the hot seat anyway.
Anyone coaching P5 football at the coordinator or head coach level has two people in their favorite contacts list - their agent and their realtor. Comes with the territory.

Rule #1 of getting into coaching: There is no job security.

There have been a lot of good people and good coaches who have been fired for no other reason than they took a chance to work under a bad head coach or bad coordinator. I thought some of the guys Key let go to bring in "his guys" were good coaches. It's Keys staff, so it's his right to do what he wants with it. That's just part of the job in coaching...you're at the mercy of someone else.

gotech82

Georgia Tech Fan
Rule #1 of getting into coaching: There is no job security.

There have been a lot of good people and good coaches who have been fired for no other reason than they took a chance to work under a bad head coach or bad coordinator. I thought some of the guys Key let go to bring in "his guys" were good coaches. It's Keys staff, so it's his right to do what he wants with it. That's just part of the job in coaching...you're at the mercy of someone else.
You sir have that 100% right and several coaches under Collins found that out the hard way. As time progressed we learned it was Collins who was the problem, not the coaches he fired.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
You can get away with playing soft coverage when you tackle really well. 3rd and long with soft coverage - if you actually drop the ball carrier on initial impact, it could work. However, after seeing us fail to tackle anything with a pulse, it's a head scratcher that we kept doing the same thing.

When I rewatch the Wake game, our D played much more aggressive. We varied the looks that we gave and we actually brought some pressure. Rewatching the BG game, our D was SUPER predictable and didn't change! Even my 7 year old son was shaking his head because he knew the O was gonna hit a short route and convert due to piss poor tackling...

Sherrer has a lot of experience coaching. His DC experience hasn't been great, but I'm hopeful that he can bring something more to the table. We're one of the worst D's in the country at stopping the run, rushing the passer, and stopping 3rd downs. That's an awful combination.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
You can get away with playing soft coverage when you tackle really well. 3rd and long with soft coverage - if you actually drop the ball carrier on initial impact, it could work. However, after seeing us fail to tackle anything with a pulse, it's a head scratcher that we kept doing the same thing.

When I rewatch the Wake game, our D played much more aggressive. We varied the looks that we gave and we actually brought some pressure. Rewatching the BG game, our D was SUPER predictable and didn't change! Even my 7 year old son was shaking his head because he knew the O was gonna hit a short route and convert due to piss poor tackling...

Sherrer has a lot of experience coaching. His DC experience hasn't been great, but I'm hopeful that he can bring something more to the table. We're one of the worst D's in the country at stopping the run, rushing the passer, and stopping 3rd downs. That's an awful combination.
The DL and defense hasn’t been the same since Giff Smith left for buffalo. I played football with Giff at Pebblebrook and man that dude was a good football player and he just might be a better coach and that’s saying something.