Thacker out at DC, now Safeties coach

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Real question for business owners/ Managers here.

Have you ever demoted anyone and they stuck around and did a good job at their new position?

I personally just don't see how you can take a demotion and still be 100% into your job.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Also tbh nothing against thacker, but remember coaching at this level was a big step up from Temple. Honestly I think he would be fine as a DC back down at that division. He hasn't been constant as a DC at this level.
That makes no sense, Thacker just got his *** handed to him (and has numerous times) by a team of the same "division" as Temple despite having far better talent.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Have you ever demoted anyone and they stuck around and did a good job at their new position?

I personally just don't see how you can take a demotion and still be 100% into your job.
All true, but better than being fired 4 games into the season. Wouldn't be surprised if this move, allows thacker to retain a job , but end of season he moves on .

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The roster is plenty good enough to not give up 38 to Bowling Green
Is it? forget what the the rating services say. Use your eyeballs. Is it good enough? The guys aren't new to football but it sure looks like it sometime.

It appears more and more like we could be be getting lower level results from the coaches but some of these guys seem to lack basic football instincts and/or ability to react with what could be an instinct.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Even Collins said he was going to spend more time with the defense his last year. He knew Thacker needed more experience and thought he could mentor him. The game plan against WF was solid for the D. The game plan against BG was just plain bad. Hard to rationalize the inconsistency other than we never adjusted the D in the second half to stop the underneath passes.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Is it? forget what the the rating services say. Use your eyeballs. Is it good enough? The guys aren't new to football but it sure looks like it sometime.

It appears more and more like we could be be getting lower level results from the coaches but some of these guys seem to lack basic football instincts and/or ability to react with what could be an instinct.
I'm not sure Thacker's coaching wouldn't make Travis Hunter look like a bust.

This shoulder bump/"tackle" high and try to strip the ball philosophy is garbage. What happened to form tackling and putting your facemask into the ball?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, hindsight is 20/20, and I wonder if Key is also now regretting his decision to retain Thacker at the end of last year. We’ll probably never know the whole story, but I still think Key had his doubts or he would not have brought in a co-DC. Had our defense not shown improvement during Key’s interim tenure, we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion.
I don’t think anyone has mentioned that Key was not entirely in charge of how this all went down. There is a larger strategy that the President and AD are involved in and Key doesn’t not have the deciding vote. I suspect the “committee” checks in weekly on the progress of certain decisions.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I just like the fact that Key took action. More evidence he is the right coach for us.
And really, what else could he do, he's not going to find a new DC hire from anywhere that's going to leave his current position in mid-season. And, no matter, at least he is doing something and not just sitting on his a** !

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thacker came to Tech in 2019 along with former coach Geoff Collins. A Furman graduate and Cartersville native, Thacker is being paid $650,000 annually and will get a $50,000 raise Feb. 24. His current contract is scheduled to end Jan. 31, 2025

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
“Just gotta tackle better. And that was an emphasis for us from Week 1. And it’s something that we need to figure out moving forward,” Tech linebacker Paul Moala said after the game. “Credit to them, (running back Terion Stewart) for Bowling Green running hard and running downhill, but for the most part that’s on us.

“We have to work on tackling technique and make sure we’re driving our feet on contact. We didn’t do that well today.”

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
  • The Tech offense now ranks 17th nationally in passing (300 ypg), 19th in total (467.4 ypg), 21st on third down conversions (48.5 percent), 26th with 117 first downs, 27th in sacks allowed (1.2 per game) and 33rd with 13.6 yards per completion.
  • Tech quarterback Haynes King now ranks fourth nationally with 15 passing TDs, eighth with 96 points responsible for, ninth with 331.2 yards of total offense per game, 10th with 1,480 passing yards, 12th in passing yards per game (296) and 23rd in passing efficiency (164.3).

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

This shoulder bump/"tackle" high and try to strip the ball philosophy is garbage. What happened to form tackling and putting your facemask into the ball?
Travis Hunter has athletic, football instincts which anyone who tries to tackle like what we all see obviously lacks.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, some of y'all will never be happy, expecting us to hire a new DC on the spot, best time will be end of season.
Guessing this allows thacker to finish out the season, while we test the waters with an interim
Because Key failed as OL coach and was promoted to HC primarily on the back of defensive play. How could he get rid of the DC who could make all the same arguments for why his bad performance the past 4 years should be overlooked?

It should have been obvious that Thacker needed to go last year. Same with Key. But here we are.

Luke Fickell did it at Ohio State. He was head coach for a year and I believe he stayed on as an assistant coach for Urban Meyer. Truth be known Thacker probably wants the heat off him and if he does a good job at his new position he will have a job next year at Ga Tech. It’s a good move for him and the team. BTW I don’t know why the 3 post showed up when I posted this and Key didn’t fail as an OL coach lol

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Fun fact Colorado ranks 126th nationally in defense with far more 4 and 5 stars than we have on roster

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm confident it is. If you don't think the roster is good enough to hold BGSU to less than 38 you're equating our defensive roster with that of Eastern Illinois. We're better than that. We've got a coaching and scheme issue

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
“Just gotta tackle better. And that was an emphasis for us from Week 1. And it’s something that we need to figure out moving forward,” Tech linebacker Paul Moala said after the game. “Credit to them, (running back Terion Stewart) for Bowling Green running hard and running downhill, but for the most part that’s on us.

“We have to work on tackling technique and make sure we’re driving our feet on contact. We didn’t do that well today.”
Better technique, coupled with a good game plan and passion, can do wonders.