Thacker out at DC, now Safeties coach

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Some fans are justifiably in a foul mood due to bad-loss hangover. I know I am. We could have announced we cleaned house and hired Saban and his staff as replacements - but they would have complained that he's too old.
That said, I'm trying to see this move as somewhat planned in advance and a net positive. Key says he holds people accountable and is showing them the consequences of poor performance.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I like the move, but also think it's delusional to expect to now be able to go down to Miami and stonewall them. Their QB is playing at an elite level. I do hope and expect that our D plays with a sense of urgency and energy going forward. If we suddenly learn how to tackle, well, I will be happy to be wrong.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is like using Scotch tape as a band aid.

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
So... does this mean safeties were taken away from DB coach Tillman? Are we back to having separate coaches for cornerbacks and safeties?? That did not work too well.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I like the move, but also think it's delusional to expect to now be able to go down to Miami and stonewall them. Their QB is playing at an elite level. I do hope and expect that our D plays with a sense of urgency and energy going forward. If we suddenly learn how to tackle, well, I will be happy to be wrong.

I don’t think anyone thinks we will be doing that. But some improvement would be nice.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, either Key decided to be cagey at his presser, or J Batt told him if he wants support, he better do something. With that said, hard to believe that everything is Thacker’s fault since he was co-DC with the new DC.

I hope it makes a difference, but color me skeptical with our current jimmies & joes. Defense, unlike the O side of the ball, comes down to hosses with “want to”. Hopefully with Thack out of the way, Sherrer will show us we have hosses who now have “want to”, but I doubt it.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Amen, brother.
I have been bothered by the bad tackling for some time and have come to the conclusion that Thacker's defense is based on bend/don't break until we can rip out a fumble. This worked better with Thomas/Eley. This objective requires arm reaching, punching, ripping,, wrestling, grabbing face masks, and with attacking at a higher approach. Too many of our tackles yesterday were from the side or back from the third or fourth player and with unsuccessful tacklers strewn in a trail behind the runner.. Tackling requires hitting and locking up (not catching the runner) Maybe a change in DC will bring about a different concept and lead to better tackling which will go a long way to improving the D.

I watched the game at BD and again on TV. The D was as bad as I saw live and I believe the O was worse on TV without any effective run game and failed to get us back in the game with the opportunities we had. The LB play was really bad in coverage, finding the ball, tackling, getting to the outside, and maintaining outside leverage when in that position. The LBs are contributing very little and putting the burden on the DBs coming off coverage to make tackles in space after long gains. Our scheme seems to be gimmic to stop certain things and leave other things in jeopardy. The good experienced coaches know how to adjust and find our holes.. We saw all these things in spades yesterday.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It seems that some people above don't like this move. Given where we are at (late September) i do not see how this can be viewed in a negative manner. I think doing nothing is, by far, the worst move a manager can make when things are this far in the ditch.
I'm fine with the move not much more you can do after the season started.

Question is what defense does Sherrer like to run? not sure if he doesn't like the one we are running anything can change till our open week.